Coronavirus - Taiwan Developments Jan. 2022

Apparently some dude has a car accident and went to a hospital for care. Was PCR tested and tested positive. CT value high so they think it’s an old case.

Lmao, if this isn’t the most Taiwan thing ever. They should probably care more about car accidents than omicron at this point. Probably more deaths per day caused by those…

12 Likes

A few details about the different sources of infection:

1 Like

We’re so lucky to have you

2 Likes

You don’t need to hedge your bets. It’s not even close.

I think the cat is out of the bag with the infected Taipei nurse, but we’ll see. I’ve thought it was ‘game over’ before only to be surprised by CECC’s ability to catch up and mop up. This current outbreak has been a rollercoaster the last two weeks. If this was Alpha or even Delta, they probably would’ve contained it by now.

9 Likes

It’s enough looking at China and those spreading via hotel rooms to know this could not be contained the way Taiwan handled it with surgical masks.

Maybe China like lockdown can stop it, but I even doubt that. So time for Taiwan to join the rest of the world except China.

And I’m pretty sure taiwan measures last time would have failed with Delta. They were simply lucky to never have widespread deltat escape. Alpha was a really much lower rate.

How many Taiwanese follow Chinese news? Chinese news are still on the fear bandwagon. And time to get the over 60 population fully vaccinated by announcing some measures for them. Its still everywhere the plus 60 which small in number however fill up the hospitals.

And it’s now really last minute to tell the population that the models have changed. The later they announce no more zero covid, the more face they are going to lose.

1 Like

More details from today’s press conferences, and yet another summary:

1 Like

How many times will you repeat this? I’m not arguing with you. Hell I might even agree with you but you’ve said it every day for the last two weeks.

I’d rather catch omicron than read it one more time.

13 Likes

I wonder if they are testing to see what type? I seriously question if COVID ever went away last time.

2 Likes

Maybe that’s the plan :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes they are. And yes it did.

Guy

4 Likes

Wings night and beer tomorrow at Redpoint!

1 Like

CECC isn’t kidding around with that Taipei nurse case.

7 Likes

Traffic deaths per year (actually a lowball estimate due to the recording method): 3000. That’s each and every year of course, and ignores tens of thousands of life-altering injuries.

Omicron death rate is reported at somewhere around 50 per million. So a finger-in-the-air guesstimate might put the potential number of “vulnerable” people in Taiwan at 1500.

3 Likes

If they suddenly discover its been out in the community for weeks with nobody noticing, surely that’s proof that there is zero need for a lockdown.

I’m really gonna be disappointed if a lockdown comes in. Especially before this week. And before CNY—a CNY stuck inside will absolute dogshit.

2 Likes

This is just deaths. Imagine the number if you count serious injuries. Most of my friends in Taipei have been in some sort of nontrivial motorbike/car accident. I’ve also had some near calls while riding taxis here. My gf, for one, was involved in a rather serious one (some dumbass drunk truck driver hit her) and required an 8 hour surgery + 1 year of rest at home and physiotherapy to recover.

I’m probably more stressed about that than Omicron atm…

5 Likes

I wont be shocked though if the lockdown indeed comes back but after LNY. I doubt they will make it before it unless numbers get suddenly in three digits.The virus is already in the community. We just dont know how much but its there and more than whats coming out since most people would shrug it off as common cold. Lockdown is a way for them to show the public that “look we are doing something so dont blame the govt for the virus spread”. What they are doing is gonna work or not thats a different thing.

Same here. Ended up with a metal pin in her shoulder.

Road-accident injuries are generally about 50x higher than deaths, depending on what you count as an ‘injury’. Roughly 10 people have their life permanently altered by an accident for every 1 person who is killed. Numbers like that really ought to provide the context for public-health mitigation measures, particularly when those measures have wide-ranging implications for ill-health, quality-of-life, and death.

3 Likes

Seriously, what would be the reasoning for a lockdown?

Has a lockdown actually worked anywhere apart from China?

No doubt some mayors will bring in silly rules that won’t actually do anything. Like making campuses only for the double vaccinated plus the thousand kids that aren’t. Reduce transmission by 0.00000000000001%

In the UK with Omicron, Wales and Scotland went into lockdown while England stayed open.

Wales and Scotland’s death rate has stayed pretty much the same as England’s. I actually think one of the two had a HIGHER death rate than England.

Utterly pointless locking down.

1 Like