Coronavirus--Taiwan developments

I’m sensing sarcasm.

Do you guys remember the last time house prices went down here in Taiwan was during SARS?

And now, house sales are booming, restaurants can’t fit an ant, cinemas open, travel is fighting nail and tooth for limited spaces, metro is full every day…

1 Like

Prices didn’t fall after the Credit Crunch? There must have been a drop in 2008 or 2009.

Not as bad/noticeable/relevant/dramatic as SARS. Nor took so long to recover after the dive.

In contrast, this time real estate market might have a skip, mostly from predatory landlords picking up the fallen in rentals, business properties.

1 Like

Apparently just a tiny amount? But I’m not sure if I’m actually looking at housing prices in this chart. With a name like “Taiwan House Price Index”, you’d think so, but the world of finance often confuses me. Plus of course this wouldn’t show specifically Taipei vs the rest of the island. (This chart also doesn’t show much of an impact from SARS.)

I just remember my Taiwanese pals were finally able to purchase a house with the drop in prices. And word on the street was that it was difficult to sell.

The psychological effects of SARS were worse, too, people were far more scared then.

SARS was early 2000s, yeah?

2003, early February, March is when it hit us, mid year we were under travel advisory, which was not removed until November, I think.

Oh and there was a resurgence in 2004.

That’s definitely not supporting your memory of a property market crash.

Well that chart does not show the credit card slaves disaster either.

2 Likes

Two more imported cases reported today:

Guy

2 Likes

How many in total now?
Have we crossed the 500 yet?

Yes we have.

To date, Taiwan has recorded 509 cases of COVID-19, with 417 classified as imported. Of the total, 479 have recovered, seven have died, and 23 are in the hospital, according to CECC data. The last time Taiwan recorded a domestic infection was on April 12.

Source: https://focustaiwan.tw/society/202009210010

Guy

4 Likes

Ashley Bloomfield explaining the weak positive syndrome. Something that has been happening in Kiwiland too.

3 Likes
1 Like

Great story. Thanks for the link!

Guy

1 Like

So many weak positives :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Maybe they recycle the tests?

1 Like

Based on that Taiwan News report, there are 19 presumed exported cases: 18 to the Philippines and 1 to Japan.

About the Japanese case:

the Japanese case is a man in his 50s who entered Taiwan on Aug. 29 of this year. His quarantine period ended on Sept. 12, and he returned to Japan on Sept. 14.

When he arrived in Japan, the antibody test for COVID-19 came back positive and Taiwan was notified. However, Taiwan was later informed that PCR tests implemented on Sept. 20 and Sept. 21 both came back negative.

Draw your own conclusions.

So far all the contacts here in Taiwan have apparently tested negative.

Guy

And as usual none of their contacts in Taiwan have tested positive. So they’re magically catching the virus from thin air. Either that or they never had it in the first place.

2 Likes