Coronavirus - Taiwan (October-December 2020)

I don’t know. But I can presume that this is the CDC deferring to the MOE to handle / manage their COVID prevention arrangments.

About the “crap” and inadequate handwashing: I wish that was limited to the little ones alone. :face_vomiting:

Guy

7 Likes

This is ridiculous.

Wear a mask while on a treadmill?!

I’ll believe it when I see it. For all the locals supposedly worried about the virus due to social media, I don’t see any indications of fear in Taipei.

1 Like

I don’t see anywhere that they are not allowed to return. They are required to take the test. Which is a good thing… they might be able to quarantine you better if the result is positive. Bubble you away from other passengers and general population in Taiwan. Effective covid tracing.

What if tests aren’t available? Or what if you need to leave a country before a test is ready?

Did I miss something? Why are they increasing security within Taiwan? Was there an escapee, or is the government just being paranoid/patching up security holes (depending how you look at it)?

1 Like

They are denied boarding and entry if positive test. No chance to quarantine. Just stay in limbo abroad or try to get back in a hurry with this 11 days notice.

Check the reason Minister Chen gave today in the press release meeting. He basically said that because a lot of people were concerned about the numbers increasing in the rest of the world so ‘these are the new rules’. Not one explanation on what changed in Taiwan that they need that etc about, none whatsoever. If you watch the video is a joke. If you are interested it goes from 8:00-9:55 in the video below.

2 Likes

I’m not sure who these people are, but why is this so unreasonable? The virus is running amok out there. We don’t have it here. People are coming and going every day, including Taiwanese citizens who obviously know or suspect they have the virus and come back for medical treatment.

Is it really such a big deal to tighten up the defenses right now?

Anyone who is overseas right now should be prepared to get medical treatment where they are if they get sick. Those who are uncomfortable doing that should have gotten their butts back months ago.

6 Likes

He said ‘spectators/audience’.

I agree with that, however that’s not the case. He is denying entry. One might be willing to be treated abroad but if there is a need to be back for whatever reason you just can’t.

There is a guy in FB that claimed he didn’t take the test when he was required to do so. The airline called Taiwan rep (not sure which department), and he was eventually let into the flight anyway. What i am saying is… if you yell enough at the airline (or MOFA), they might be able to get you on a flight. Special charter flight or make you hang out at the baggage compartment of the plane.

And I don’t mind wearing a mask in Taiwan as a precaution. This might be the winter that I won’t get sick at all.

It’s part PR job and partly because Taiwanese are scared of their own shadow. We both know social distancing in Taiwan is a joke. But people feel safer if they see any sort of measures in place.

2 Likes

Not fear. Compliance.

My neighbor came in… And left again. Will he come back? It’s everyone’s guess.

Unless he got sick. Then he’d be back at the speed of sneeze.

1 Like

On one hand I want to get upset about these new regulations.

On the other it had to be done because of all the doorknobs that thought it acceptable to get on flights knowingly sick.

3 Likes

These rules make it impossible.for most government paid standardized covid tests to be used.

“the name on the passport of the traveler, the date of birth or passport number of the traveler, specimen collection date and test report date, the virus name, testing method, and the result.”

The standard covid tests just say your name and dob. These guys want a heck of a lot more data than usual, there is no way a standard report will have all this. At least I don’t think so

isn’t this the rule many governments applied to Cruise ship passengers?

Likewise, he (Chen) said that in fitness centers and saunas, “You don’t need to wear a mask when using the equipment, but you should wear it after you use it.”

So really, what’s the point. This is just a joke.

1 Like

Two more imported cases reported today—another Indonesian migrant worker, and a flight attendant arriving from Turkey.

Guy

Turkey should be safe! :scream: