Coronavirus - Taiwan (October-December 2020)

Ehem is testing as in currently. Read previous news release from Focus Taiwan - the government started testing all workers in centralized facilities after the surge in cases in Indonesia, which lead to the discovery of the first batch of over a dozen cases and the decision to stop incoming workers for a couple weeks. They have kept at it, which is why we are getting them cases reported in groves.

Were you a blue collar worker from SEA who arrived in the last couple of weeks?

Anyways, tests can’t catch them too early. And they come in with negative tests.

Well, blame Taiwan for forcing migrant workers to live in those terrible, crowded dormitory conditions. They often squeeze 4 people minimum to a room with no AC and only one bathroom for 60 people on the floor. Taiwan never cared about their living conditions before, but now there is a threat of future transmission under such circumstances, well, now they suddenly are worried.

As for this whole X days since no local virus nonsense, well it has just turned into a farce with this latest news. I’ve not liked the way this has turned into some sort of national pride or competition between countries to be 100 days no virus or whatever. Seems Taiwan is determined to hold on to that status by hook or by crook, even if it means lying about domestic transmissions to keep their PR good. Remember everyone, Taiwan is number one…

6 Likes

Well that’s totally a local transmission then.

4 Likes

It makes you wonder what on earth qualifies as a local transmission now. I guess they need to put the virus under a microscope and confirm its party preferences, love of stinky tofu and ability to speak Taiwanese before it can be classified as domestic. Most Taiwanese I talk to don’t even believe that it isn’t already in Taiwan anyways. Hence the excessive mask wearing.

2 Likes

Hey! The masks are part of the solution, not the problem, in Taiwan.

If you have a problem with this, please take your concerns to one of the mask threads, where I can then safely ignore it. Or just stay in one of the US politics threads, where no doubt you’ll fit right in.

Guy

4 Likes

He never said he was against wearing masks…

Stop being so hostile.

1 Like

Perhaps they are going by the reasoning that the indonesian worker was actually infected in quarantine with the other, but didn’t get symptoms until already out.

The fact they live in the same dormitory is just a coincidence…

You can’t quarantine with other people, so doubt it.

I think it seems that the person from Indonesia was likely infected a long time ago because of the high CT value (that’s not just a Taiwan thing, the CDC director in Maine where my mom lives is also always talking about CT values and how testing isn’t foolproof) and I don’t think that person has infected anyone locally that they know of. but the articles are confusing so I may easily be wrong.

Definitely when those tests are conducted in Indonesia, and a Broker/Agent stands to Benefit from a Negative result. Hence why Taiwan has banned a number of Indonesian Agents.

1 Like

That’s ok haha people here are quite fanatical when it comes to this topic. Maybe the internet makes them feel a few inches taller than reality so they tend to be more aggressive than they have the chance to be in real life. Water off a ducks back and all that.

1 Like

An update on today’s 22 imported cases, this time from Taiwan News. Apparently two of the 22 cases were symptomatic.

Guy

2 Likes

Jesus, when does the tap get turned off?

2 Likes

It doesn’t unless test them properly overseas.

2 Likes

When Taiwan can find locals to do the same jobs for the same money. Migrant workers are crucial to Taiwan. Much more so than English teachers. It’s clear agencies are just pushing out workers with fake test results or with a poor quality standard of testing, but this is what Taiwan gets for relying on brokerages and agencies in the first place rather than direct hire for workers.

1 Like

Agreed.

Now we’ve identified the problem.

1 Like

Surely it’s gotta be the point now where Taiwan puts a lock on the infested countries coming in. The control measures are holding … so far.

But it only takes one dickhead to break them and that’s it, we could have an outbreak.

Yeah, I get it, migrants from Indonesia are important here. But surely can get by for a few weeks without.

2 Likes

Taiwan’s whole economy would collapse without migrant workers. Factories wouldn’t be able to create products, and regular Taiwanese office workers would have to stay at home to look after their parents. With a vaccine on the way, Taiwan would be silly to destroy it’s economy. The smarter move is to enact stricter quarantine measures, but the CDC seem to be against doing that too for some reason. Why they aren’t imposing a three week mandatory quarantine is beyond me, they themselves say incubation is up to 22 days. Self health care management obviously isn’t working.

2 Likes

Densley packed dorms are a breeding ground for transmission. Maybe if migrant workers in ~progressive Taiwan~ didn’t live in such squalor there wouldn’t be transmission.

1 Like