Coronavirus - Taiwan (October-December 2020)

Hard to say! Vaccines are being rolled out, there’s good reason to be optimistic we won’t see another peak after the summer.

1 Like

You are now in relative safety! This is a good thing.

Take care of yourself, have a nice meal, connect with people you care about. Stay healthy and stay focused on making it to the other side of this awfulness.

Guy

Meanwhile, two more imported cases were reported today—one from the Philippines, another apparently an Indian national arriving from the US; both were asymptomatic:

Guy

10 posts were split to a new topic: Does local broadcast media create a superficial, childish culture?

How did they miss that at departure? Still let him/her board!

When the ban on Indonesian workers was announced,the number of infected from US and Indonesia was the same - a little over 100. Of course, in terms of numbers of incoming travelers there were still more from Indonesia.

Thanks and yes I know I’m ok and very safe here. but my mom isn’t, she’s in a,southern US state that is becoming an epicenter. thats what depresses me. that and the fact that she and I were supposed to be in Hawaii for Christmas. and, yes, I know she technically could come here but she won’t leave her dog which I understand. so even though I know I’m ok, I know she’s not and that makes me feel horrible. just wondering if others also feel this way, thats all.

3 Likes

I also miss my elderly parents. Visiting them now would be very difficult. Hopefully things will improve.

1 Like

I understand your worries. I feel your predicament. But your mother probably also wants you to be safe.

If it makes you feel better, my mother is attending weddings, church members visit her even though she is not going to church and she had Christmas dinner with my cousin, his wife, 8 kids and 6 grandkids… If I was there it would be a battle every day and my sanity can’t take it. Currently, she is in a shopping spree… Sigh…

2 Likes

I’m in the same situation. Family from the South, both sides of family still think it’s no big deal. Both my mom and grandmother aren’t doing well, but they have stayed home. However, the extended family thought it would to be a good idea to visit them for Christmas. All of them are anti-maskers and their kids are attending school (schools opening/closing every day depending on cases).

My next two weeks will be stressful as duck. Hopefully it will be ok.

You are not the only one. It sucks.

1 Like

The company said in a statement Tuesday that it recently launched an investigation into whether any flight crew members have broken COVID-19 control rules and identified two pilots suspected of violating protocols, including one whose extramarital affairs were exposed by a tabloid weekly on Monday.

After a further internal investigation, EVA Air confirmed the pilot failed to follow the company’s epidemic prevention measures and he was fired Monday.

According to revelations in the tabloid, the Taiwanese pilot met women online, lied to them about his marital status and invited several to his residence when he was supposed to be in quarantine.

8 Likes

Well it seems like only a matter of time before Taiwan bans all international flights entirely. The new strain is already in a handful of other countries at this point.

I doubt it. Note that Taiwan did not ban flights from the UK – CAL and EVA decided to halt flights to the UK most likely because it’s no longer profitable with the newly imposed occupancy limit and full quarantine for the crew by CECC.

Two more imported cases reported today—both from the Philippines, both asymptomatic:

Guy

One of the cases from earlier this week is the British variant.

Sorry, I can’t read the Chinese. Is that locally transmitted today, or caught in quarantine?

He was confirmed covid positive when he returned from London on the 27th, it took a few days to examine if it was the British variant, which it is.

Britain is such a petri dish. Ew.

3 Likes

its a Taiwanese teenager from the flight earlier this week.

1 Like

Starting from 1/1/2021, only Taiwanese nationals and foreigners who meet one of the following conditions are admitted:

1. ARC holders.
  2. on diplomatic missions.
  3. fulfilling business obligations.
  4. admitted on humanitarian basis.
  5. spouses or children (under 18) of Taiwanese nationals.

International transfers at the airports in Taiwan has been suspended.

Starting from 1/15/2021 - home quarantine can only take place at quarantine hotels, government quarantine facilities, or private homes that do not have any non-home-quarantine occupants. The general rule is one occupant per address, with exceptions.

9 Likes