Coronavirus Taiwan Open - April-June 2022

Don’t poke the mod

1 Like

One is specifically open and the other open specifically?

Anything with Coronavirus in the subject just turns into a dumpster fire.

5 Likes

This one is for is for general discussion about Covid in Taiwan. The specific thread is to stay informed about ongoing developments around Covid in Taiwan.
People want to stay informed about important news, but not read through hundreds of comments that are mostly opinions of individuals and arguments between different opinions.

3 Likes

Is that not what the specific developments thread is though? I get the idea, but it doesn’t seem to be working well.

3 Likes

Yeah, it was a valiant effort, but it doesn’t really seem to be working - mainly because most of us just see something and type a response, without paying much attention to what thread we’re currently in. (Myself very much included!)

I suppose the main way to make it work would be to make the “Specific developments” thread very heavily modded (or limited to only a handful of posters), and then have all those developments simultaneously cross-posted in the open thread for discussion or ranting and whining.

But I don’t know if that’s worth the effort.

3 Likes

It’s a consistent problem across the site. Each thread is a mix of almost chit-chat, and solid information. What about really heavy moderation for permanent posts, and a chat where people can just get stuff out of their system? Discourse may have a chat add-on or something like that.

Anyway what we’ve got is better than Reddit. That is a shocker, the same questions just keep coming up over and over, with no apparent history.

2 Likes

By and large I wouldn’t even say it’s a problem. COVID’s a unique situation because there’s so much information, and so many different opinions.

I believe some of the stickies are very heavily moderated, or perhaps locked to mods only - but I think it’s asking too much to expect the mods to leap in with the latest news updates.

2 Likes

It’s not worth the effort. Plus it destroys the flow of discussion as threads get split.

1 Like

Not wholly unlike sewage, on a bad day, flowing apparently without end . . .

Guy

We all make a contribution. Some more than others.

2 Likes

The more you contribute the healthier you are

I forgot to take any food with me, so I ate some fungus fresh off the tree. In this country it’s called wood ear, and back in the Divided Kingdom it goes by the name of Jew’s ear, or Judas’ ear.

Can’t you just be like a normal person and eat your snot and fingernails?

1 Like

Oh, god, like the guy in 7 coughing and sniffling while picking his nose and eating something from a striped pink plastic bag. I just mentioned the free air conditioning and tried to ignore him. Whilst screaming inside. 108 battles of the mind.

1 Like

So, I know how much ya’ll despise wearing masks and believe they don’t do anything to prevent getting Covid.

Here’s an interesting story which could by extension, provide an opposing view that masks, specifically N95 types, work quite well.

3 Likes

That appears to be a minority view here, as far as I’ve read (and quite a few people seem to consider them magical, impenetrable shields, similar to some of the Taiwanese government’s edicts).

That’s a crucial point though - most people aren’t wearing N95 masks. Big difference. I don’t think you can extrapolate that very well to surgical masks.

4 Likes

N95s work pretty well to protect the wearer under some circumstances

Thus why I believe vulnerable or worried people should wear them

And the rest of us should be free to make our own choices

4 Likes

Good news, they are going to allow people to import their own tests. Bad news, they won’t allow it for another two months. Also, they won’t recognize the results unless they approve of the brand.

3 Likes

This question has been burning in my mind the last few days: is it statistically sound to say “we’ve prevented a lot of deaths by avoiding covid up until now?”

I see this said on Reddit all the time and just wondered what you guys’ thoughts are.