Coronavirus Taiwan Open - April-June 2022

3 Likes

Yeah finally a grownup in the room asking them stop fooling around.
Whatā€™s missing in those interviews is the fact that quality of life and the fact that many people are being locked up in quarantine is something everybody should also consider not just GDP!!
They never care about quality of life issues and human rights of foreign workers.

Iā€™d rather Zero Scooter than Zero COVID. Just saw another horrific accident yesterday. Not sure if he was dead, but he was lying in the street. And yet, the beat goes on while everyone focuses on something that has led to the death of only one (already very sick) person in the last 3 months since Omicron first started getting leaky here.

15 Likes

Yep Ko has been for a long time Taiwanā€™s best politician. He should run for president and sack Chen and Coā€¦

He is virtually the only top politician having a healthy lifestyle too! Get those atrophied Wracks of politicians away and replace them with healthy people. Healthy people tend to do reasonable decisions. If your politicians are all so unhealthy that they are a major risk group to any disease you end up with this zero covid rubbish.

1 Like

Ko is popular among young voters, but is fairly unpopular with the older generation, and even the younger generation tend to agree that he is too wacky for the presidential role. Iā€™ve heard people say he ā€œdoesnā€™t have the presidential lookā€ a few times, and that there is a risk of him embarrassing Taiwan internationally.

He is very rational, and would probably make a good president, but I highly doubt heā€™ll ever get in, for the reasons mentioned above, and of course that he belongs to neither of the two major parties.

After the ā€œSing! Chinaā€ debacle at NTUā€”in which he stood around and shrugged after pro-China gangsters hit students with metal barsā€”that rosy glow has dissipated.

Guy

2 Likes

When did they happen? Seems I missed an important moment in Taiwan history!

Iā€™ll PM you.

Guy

He kind of fucked up by moving closer to China in his thinking. You get nowhere in Taiwan by being even remotely pro China.

2 Likes

:rofl:

You mean CCP Ko?

Doesnā€™t Taipei normally have stricter rules than other places?

Shopping on alternate days. Covid passports. Flip flop flip flop

1 Like

Ko has been more back and forth in his Covid response than any other politician

4 Likes

Heā€™s adapting to the threat level. Like most of us, he realizes the situation was a lot more serious a year ago than now. I can empathize and relate to that. (I think thatā€™s politically and intellectually more honest than permanently being gung-ho on restrictions and staying at Threat Level Midnight forever despite how the situation has changed, or the other extreme of always dismissing it as ā€˜just a coldā€™ from the start and now thinking youā€™re validated even though it was a very different situation in 2020 before vaccines and treatments were available)

3 Likes

Maybe we are capable of addressing more than one issue at a time?

For the transport issue, youā€™d be hard pressed to find someone more opposed to scooter culture than me. Yet I can also see the ways the state has been trying to provide alternativesā€”whether this means building MRT systems, or setting up youbike systems. Yes, there is still huge room for improvement, but at least there are some attempts to shift away from Taiwanā€™s awful petro scooter culture.

Guy

3 Likes

But I wuv my scooter :motor_scooter::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::thailand:

6 Likes

Just sticking to the COVID response . . . remember how Taipei City used ā€œhome registrationā€ (you know, the thing we non citizens donā€™t have) as a way to determine early vaccine eligibility?

You remember the later shite Taipei City vaccine registration platform?

Based on the cityā€™s handling of the crisis, I donā€™t see any indication that heā€™s an administrator Iā€™d trust more than the current national government. Sorry!

Guy

2 Likes

Very different situation in 2020. We didnā€™t need to wear masks outside.

The variants get milder but the restrictionsā€¦ā€¦

@tempogain this should be moved too I guess.

2 Likes

You didnā€™t kick him to see heā€™s still alive?

Stupid joke and not at all funny.

1 Like

This Open thread is available for discussion of Taiwan-related Covid matters, including recent developments. We might move posts to more specialized threads, but itā€™s up to anyone if they want to post about developments here or in the Specific Developments thread.

3 Likes