Coronavirus Taiwan Open - April-June 2022

All good reasons, plus she’s pregnant so that’s extra risk.

5 Likes

Exactly my thought process

5 Likes

My recent dilemma is the gym. I love going to the gym for an hour and getting things done. Refreshing and much needed for my physical and mental health, but I’ve been pretty shy going there recently. I’m not going to the gym for cardio but weights. Does anyone else have similar thoughts? (I did have a booster).)

My wife isn’t really against it, as she thinks Omicron is everywhere. We are worried about our kids, of course.

2 Likes

Do you guy when it’s super crowded? I always go to the gym around lunch when there’s ~11 or so people. Pretty easy to maintain social distancing and have yet to even get s ping from the contact tracing app.

1 Like

This.

13 Likes

My thoughts are that we are all going to get Covid at some point. Nobody will be able to avoid it forever. So it’s basically a matter of choosing when you get it, not if you get it.

As time goes on from your 2nd or 3rd vaccine dose, the risk goes up. So if you are to get Covid, it may be better to do it 1-4 months after your recent vaccine dose.

And I totally agree with you. The gym keeps me physically fit and mentally happy and it’s important to my overall well-being. While not getting super sick from Covid is important, it has to be balanced with all other aspects of health. You can see in other countries they’ve had huge problems with lots of other outcomes which were affected by the pandemic.

2 Likes

Ah no it’s not. Very very few people are choosing when they get it.

3 Likes

Is anything being done to help out restaurant owners? Went to my favorite place, which is usually packed during the lunch rush and it was empty. :disappointed: I don’t think he can survive if this goes on for months…

5 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: COVID Mischaracterisations

I guess this is a result only of the fear that has been generated. It seems that many Taiwanese are truly living their daily lives in fear of something which, well, really doesn’t need to be feared.

I mainly eat at home, due to my eating preferences, but, I still eat out as often as I ever have done - the public need to independently realise that life should and can be normal

Expecting the Government to do anything is unrealistic, they are following their instructions to instill fear and dread at every opportunity, in the population. Should Taiwan eventually enter into the clutches of WHO, then this will only get worse.

2 Likes

Maybe it’s better to keep going to the gym for this reason:

The gym I go to has been a lot quieter than normal over the last 2 weeks or so, sometimes there are only 3 or 4 other users there (plus maybe a few trainers doing their own workouts). So it seems many people are keeping away from the gym for whatever reason.

2 Likes

Perhaps something to do with the hoops they have to jump through simply to get in the door? @BiggusDickus mentioned something about incredibly specific vaccination requirements and a mandatory tracking app. Anybody with any sense is not going to take the risk of downloading that app.

Taking the whole package of measures into consideration, one might almost think that the policy goal was to cause as much disruption, stress, and sickness as possible.

2 Likes

Which is not a choice at all :thinking:

You choose when to get the jab, don’t you? Ergo, you choose when to get the lurgy.

Although I suppose maybe you don’t if you’re a 20- or 30-something in a low-end job. You’re told to get it ASAP or lose your job.

Yes but no one is aware of any connection.

Also I chose when I got the jab and I’m pretty sure I haven’t chosen when to get the virus.

This argument goes literally nowhere.

1 Like

Certainly the authorities have made a point of not telling anyone. However the information is there for anyone who cares to read it.

Anyway, I’m not being entirely serious here. I’m just pointing out that, if one were in the mood to get a dose of the plague, then getting a jab enhances your chances.

1 Like

Even though our vaccinations occurred in a time of low or 0 covid.

Where are the millions of covid cases from 2021?

Complete disinformation.

1 Like

Fair point. Nevertheless, the vax programme has continued apace as omicron hit. If you think that the immune-suppressing effect does not happen to Taiwanese people, feel free to post your evidence.

1 Like

You can clearly see that unvaxxed deaths are overrepresented.

1 Like

The occasional lists that @MalcolmReynolds posts appear, at first glance, to be somewhere around 25% unvaxed, no?

Anyway, I wasn’t talking about deaths. I was talking about the probability of catching a dose of omicron.