Coronavirus Taiwan Open - April-June 2022

Likewise. What happens to those who choose not to follow pandemic precautions in this and future pandemics is just background noise to me now.

Anyone who cares whether you do that or not, and yet whines about mask mandates or vaccine mandates, is a bit of a hypocrite.

3 Likes

Hopefully not IRL. I wore a mask everywhere indoors in the US last month and nobody bothered me.

I suspect on here though you’ll still get a few posts five pages long about how it’s destroying society.

1 Like

The pandemic is already endemic…
Therefore, over.

1 Like

Not a fan of these labels. Pandemic vs Endemic forces one to choose a side. I feel like we’re more in a rocky transition period, but I suppose closer to endemicity.

1 Like

Plus words do have meaning. Malaria and AIDS are endemic in some places of the world - it doesn’t mean people in those countries can ignore them. All endemic means is it’s not going away. (“Oh, why should I use a mosquito net? Malaria’s endemic here!”)

Endemic also means the numbers of infected are stable - not going up much, not going down much. That definitely does not apply for COVID in Taiwan, not yet.

3 Likes

Who’s saying ignore Covid?

Ok, I could argue that wearing a mask is inadequate. We should all be wearing hazmat suits. Or, even better, staying indoors permanently.

There is a point where the fear ends. It’s already happened with malaria and AIDS.

Getting a booster? Taking precautions? Stop “cowering in fear,” man!

Guy

3 Likes

And funnily enough, I’ve stubbornly avoided doing everything the CDC says is good for me, whenever possible, and I too somehow managed to avoid catching anything resembling the sniffles for two whole years. My run of luck was broken by something that might or might not have been omicron, and that was basically gone within 48 hours.

3 Likes

How is getting a booster “cowering in fear”?

I’ve had three vaccination shots. I had no fear about any of them. I also didn’t consider them to be particularly helpful. Taking them improved my quality of life somewhat

I would place money on it being Omicron.

Everyone I know who has caught it has either had virtually no symptoms, or flu like symptoms for two days. Then, like magic, it disappears.

I know nobody who has been hospitalised. I know nobody who has long Covid. And I know a lot of people who have had it.

One might conjecture, and I may tend to agree, that long Covid is just another thing for Big Pharma to scare people about and then to take some medicine they’ve suddenly created to “lower” chances, not get rid of the bogeyman.

2 Likes

Unless you get the sore throat it’s almost nothing. The sore throat is pretty brutal, but only 2 of the 9 people in our family guy it.

1 Like

My diarrhea was pretty spectacular. It was like Niagara Falls for a day

1 Like

My little nephew was like that. About 24 hours of constant diarrhea and vomiting and then completely normal. I was most concerned about him, just due to dehydration.

I think the same for the missus, and she was throwing up a few times, too.
24 hours later. Nothing. Didn’t test as none to find.

1 Like

I could see how it could take out somebody already weak. It was diarrhea like nothing I’ve experienced before, and I’ve had the two-bob-bits many times.

You would have thought the obese would benefit from it, though

Yeah, same here. I know a couple of people who had a rough time with omicron - all except one of them fully vaccinated - but I haven’t even heard of anyone (friends of friends) who had any lasting effects, and like you I can probably now count about 30 people within my circle who have had it. They were a bit ill, and then they got better.

To be fair I haven’t heard of anyone who had any serious effects from vaccination either (beyond an unpleasant day or two comparable to … uh, catching omicron). But there have been at least two people on here who have posted about having side effects unpleasant enough to be frightening.

This claim is definitely being made. However, since it doesn’t seem necessary to have actually been ill with COVID to subsequently get “long COVID”, one wonders what the actual mechanism of action might be.

2 Likes

It went so quickly. Woke up on the third day and I had no symptoms other than a bit of a cough

1 Like

Indeed. Presley almost died by all accounts

I’ve yet to hear anything first hand about something awful Omicron related.