Coronavirus - Taiwan Open July 2021

I’ve seen the chart below doing the rounds over the past few days - it’s probably been posted somewhere here. It bodes well: are cases going up in the UK? Oh yeah! But deaths this time are hardly moving compared to in the previous wave. Of course there’s more to the disease than that, and I’m not sure how things have developed in the past couple of weeks, but still, things look mildly promising. We may be able to get rid of the virus in Taiwan for now, although I suspect even that’s impossible; we’re certainly not going to keep it out forever, and it will eventually spread through here. This chart suggests that, after lots of the population are vaccinated, the virus is far less dangerous.

What seems to be the original source:

1 Like

The running machines and cross-trainers are a challenge. I pull my mask as far away from my face as possible.

Yes, all 100% plausible processes. :neutral_face:

2 Likes

From what I can read from that graph, it says around only 36 people PER 10 MILLION died of Covid during 50 days of the second wave.

Am I reading this graph correctly?

I don’t think it’s cumulative, is it? I read it as 1.5 deaths per 10 million on day 1, 1.8 deaths per 10 million on day 5, 3 deaths per 10 million on day 10, and so on. In other words, I don’t think there’s enough info there to see the total deaths over 50 days (unless I’m reading it wrong, which is a possibility).

2 Likes

I was told today that my cram school is reopening next week and that if any teachers haven’t been vaccinated yet they will still be teaching classes with kids in the classroom but that we need to take a test every 7 days. However, I also saw this article on Taiwan News stating that cram schools can only reopen if all their teachers have been fully vaccinated for at least 14 days IN ADDITION to tests every 7 days. Cram schools in Taiwan can reopen if all staff vaccinated | Taiwan News | 2021-07-23 17:54:00

I know Taiwan News doesn’t have a reputation for 100% accuracy so does anyone have the link to the MOE’s original announcement so that I can try and google translate it? There is an image of it in the article but I can’t copy and paste from that.

2 Likes

I wear a black foam mask when running in the morning, they are available at the convenience stores and are really breathable, which obviously makes them terrible for the purpose of preventing disease, but makes them more bearable for working out with a mask on.

6 Likes

Honestly I think I’d prefer to go running outside late at night whilst no-one is around and I can be a bit more relaxed with my mask wearing.

4 Likes

Thanks I’ll have a look. Are they either re-usable or cheap?

They are both. I wash mine every day and they have held up great, they come in a three pack.

1 Like

I see. So that means 36 deaths per 10m on day 50.

Notice it specifically says FULLY vaccinated. Does that mean ”FULLY vaccinated” as in all of the staff have received at least 1 shot or does that mean 2 shots?

1 Like

I couldn’t find the MOE’s announcement but I found this:

I assumed it meant 14 days after the 2nd shot, but I’m only looking at the English article on Taiwan News. I’d be interested to know what the original Chinese actually said. 14 days after a 2nd shot is still a long way off for most teachers, I’d imagine.

Yeah I think that was also mentioned in the Taiwan News article but it also explicitly says that cram schools will have different rules and need ALL of their teachers vaccinated.

I sure hope my boss doesn’t make me self pay for a pcr… :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :rofl: :rofl:

It doesn’t seem right that you’d need to be vaccinated as well as to get tested every 3-7 days or whatever. I suspect it is a mistake.

If that was the case then maybe just get the entire population tested every 3-7 days, even after we’re all shot up twice + booster?

Doesn’t make sense.

well you can still get covid and spread covid vaccinated…so…they will make you per

1 Like

True!

which makes me think I’ll just wait for the pfizer/moderna to come in.