Coronavirus Taiwan Open - July-December 2022

Don’t make personal comments of any kind in COVID threads please. Address the message only or take it to the temp thread.

Still too soon to open up? I was not expecting this recent news on the visa-free entry lift.

I’m not too sure what you mean by “open up.”

If you’re holding a Canadian passport (did I remember that correctly?), you are—effective Monday September 12—able to enter Taiwan in the same way that citizens and residents can enter Taiwan.

Watch out though as visa-free entry cannot be subsequently switched to work or student visas. Those need to be applied for specifically from your local TECO in advance.

Guy

Are you sure? I’ve read contradictary statements saying you can if you have a work permit from a school or another ‘white collar job’.
Edit: Found the source I read the other day Bureau of Consular Affairs, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Republic of China(Taiwan)-Visa-Exempt Entry
“In addition, white-collar professionals who have obtained a work permit within their permitted duration of stay(Brunei, Philippines, Russia and Thailand are not included) may apply for a work visa together with their spouse and minors (under age 20) who entered the ROC at the same time.”

Interesting. I wonder if this applies to Gold Card holders?

If it’s a broader change, that would be awesome. But I admit I remain skeptical based on how I’ve seen things work . . . :neutral_face:

Guy

No idea about the gold card, only been researching the requirements and documentation needed for the visa-free to ARC route as I plan on getting my documents notarised in the UK before leaving the Taiwan to get in with a visa-exception within the next couple of months

Can you check with your local TECO office to see if the visa conversion is actually a thing?

That would be a significant change, and quite noteworthy, if it is indeed possible.

Guy

I could when I get in contact with them, but I think BOCA is a creditable enough source.

And is it a significant change? I’ve read posts from years ago of people doing the same thing

I do seem to recall from 3 years or so back that converting Visa Free to an actual Visa of some sort was available to Passports issued by some countries only.

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: From coronavirus

Looks like there won’t be a big wave. I didn’t expect one since the last wave happened so recently.

Time to drop all mandates.

2 Likes

You do know you can be infected more than once, right? In fact if you had BA.4 yesterday you can come down with BA.5 today, because humans have no immune defence against omicron unless you’ve had four boosters. Have a nice day now!

Seriously, it does boggle the mind that another ‘wave’ would be expected when at least half the population here has had covid at least once, and most of them are boosted up to the eyeballs with a 98% safe and effective vaccine. It’s time for the gov’t to drop the CECC (preferably from a helicopter), not just the mandates.

2 Likes

The only thing to fear is fear itself.

That and premature ejaculation.

And dentists.

2 Likes

And bears.

1 Like

And prematurely ejaculating bears at the dentist :paw_prints:

You must have a much nicer dentist than mine.

Not sure if this is the right covid thread to post in. Too many threads that are related.

Went to hospital these days. in ER visiting dieting relatives can only have 1 visitor unless it is really emergency. they eventually let 5 of us in.

When placed into a room strictly only 1 visitor per sick person (not covid/viral sick). in these rooms the doctors said you must have 3 shots or get a pcr test to be allowed. not an issue, we did the pcr ($900 for these situations).

the more interesting thing was going for my own checkup. I am getting my pipes checked for serious reasons and they said also I am not allowed to get medical attention without 3 shots. very strict on that! The alternative is to get pcr that day or the previous day to be allowed medical attention. pay out of pocket. I can afford to pay, but this clearly raises some issues on the right to medical treatment outside the ER.

6 Likes

Complete load of nonsense…

7 Likes

I wonder if that also goes for any individuals in Taiwan who had an adverse reaction to the first two shots, and a result, then need to seek urgent medical attention?

It also makes no sense. Vaccines don’t stop transmission (so says CDC Director), and a positive PCR test for someone with zero symptoms may simply indicate that one could be well past the transmissible stage of infection, and thus such a test is probably useless for diagnostic purposes.

1 Like

So presumably if you can’t or won’t pay for a test, they’d literally refuse you medical treatment? I seem to remember the Cecc assuring us this won’t happen. Wonder if this is a case of the hospital making up their own rules (and almost certainly breaking the law, or at minimum their oaths, in the process).

@afterspivak: my point was that people don’t have options. If you accept the PR (ie, the new vax actually works on omicron, unlike the others on offer), I can imagine there might be a certain contingent of people who have seen the devastation wrought by the “primary series” but consider that it might be worth taking the risk on a single, updated shot. But they can’t. I see the cold commercial logic behind it. But it seems clear from the public policy aspect that there is no intent to treat or to “save lives”.

2 Likes