Coronavirus Taiwan - Specific Developments 2023

I’m sure they are. This time it will work!

1 Like

The existing ones are presumably pretty outdated now anyway, so you might want to wait for the tryvalent ones to come out (as in, “let’s try this one more time”) before finally rolling your sleeve up.

1 Like

Although I’m frequently flippant about this ongoing nonsense, there are some serious research opportunities here. The CDC could, for example, check whether the multiply-boosted are exeriencing the kind of disruption to their immune systems that was mooted in recent publications, and whether the unvaccinated are experiencing that “12.5% reinfection rate” - or more, or less. You’d think they’d have some professional interest in that sort of thing. An obligation, even. It’s the complete lack of empirical evidence behind their “recommendations” that leads me to conclude that they are lazy, incompetent, corrupt, or some combination.

2 Likes

Yeah, you’d think they’d be able to clarify whether this record reinfection rate of 12.5% and doubled “severity of reinfections” are affected by vaccination status.

Honestly, I’m still trying to wrap my head around the second paragraph and figure out how people have been able to get infected in hospital waiting areas despite wearing masks. It’s a real head-scratcher.

1 Like

All I know is that I have seen a resurgence of masks unparalleled only to 2020.

Personally I’ll take the N95 to the hospital waiting room, which on any good day is a reservoir of diseases of all kinds. This extends to the bathroom, pharmacy and cashier’s, anywhere where bunches of people - over 50 folks in average - are lined up or just hanging out together. Lots of coughing, touching surfaces, sneezing…and little ventilation.

And if we ask why people take their masks off to sneeze or cough or still spit on the ground or why the ventilation in hospitals is so subpar…

I’ll have to say I have seen the return of the patient that goes out to smoke in his hospital gown and dragging his line drip.

I have heard several acquaintances say COVID cases have gone up lately. For that reason they are still wearing masks. I have not seen anything on that in the Taiwan English news. I just told them I am still not wearing masks where it is not required.

It’s very scary. The newest variant is like 12 percent more contagious. People are dropping like flies.

2 Likes

IIRC is was 12.5%, according to the experts. Let’s not spread misinformation here.

2 Likes

It sounds like a bullshit reason. I believe recorded moderate and severe cases were reported to have “gone up” recently, but the masks 90% of people are still wearing have clearly done little to prevent that, and your acquaintances obviously aren’t altering their day-to-day mask-wearing policy based on the latest dubious “trends” reported on the news.

If it transmit by skin contact and eyes masks won’t do shit, but it does make people feel better.

I think 12.5% was the “reinfection rate”. Be careful with the (official) bullshit you’re spreading - we don’t want to mislead people.

2 Likes

oops! It’s so difficult to follow the science these days.

2 Likes

That’s because the number of moderate and severe cases (the only ones they are keeping track of) are up.

Restrictions have almost completely been removed, and COVID-positive patients in hospitals are no longer isolated in dedicated wards.

There’s a very good chance that if you get infected you’ll be fine. But there is also a small chance you won’t.

You can make your decisions accordingly.

Guy

What decisions are you making, accordingly?

1 Like

Basic mitigation measures.

Do you wear a mask in enclosed places?

Do you hang around crowded spots with people shouting?

Do you still use the alcohol hand cleansers and wash your hands regularly?

Have you elected to get a bivalent booster in 2023, as recommended, or will you let nature take its course?

All of us have choices in at least some of these respects, and can act accordingly.

Guy

1 Like

I don’t do/avoid any of those on account of it’s all a load of bollocks.

EDIT: I wash my hands. Always have done

5 Likes

Glad to find some common ground. :slightly_smiling_face:

Guy

3 Likes

Same. :grin:

I tend to avoid crowded places (except bars) with people shouting too, but that’s about avoiding annoying people and noise rather than catching a cold.

1 Like

Colds do not typically lead to potential neurological issues.

But yes I agree that people can be annoying. More common ground! :slightly_smiling_face:

Guy

COVID doesn’t typically lead to neurological issues either.

And vaccines don’t typically lead to strokes, myocarditis, and other coincidences. :upside_down_face:

A pre-COVID article from 2018 discussing neurological complications from respiratory virus infections (haven’t read it).

However, nowadays respiratory viruses have placed themselves as relevant agents responsible for CNS pathologies. Among these neuropathological viruses are the human respiratory syncytial virus (hRSV), the influenza virus (IV), the coronavirus (CoV) and the human metapneumovirus (hMPV). These viral agents are leading causes of acute respiratory infections every year affecting mainly children under 5 years old and also the elderly. Up to date, several reports have described the association between respiratory viral infections with neurological symptoms.

2 Likes