Coronavirus Taiwan - Specific Developments 2023

Yeah I had no clue. They don’t seem to care

3 Likes

Having spent some time in the old country recently, my take is a actually they do care—far more than the obvious shrug of the shoulders indifference in North America.

Of course forumosan attitudes toward authorties caring about the transmission of you-know-what tend to vary. And that is not news is it.

Guy

I had no idea there was a rule for masks in pharmacies. I’ve been to a couple maskless in the last few months. No one said anything.

1 Like

Not sure what you mean. From my experience in pharmacies recently, no one seems to care.

You’re not seriously suggesting that there is some dramatic difference in the transmission of you-know-what depending on whether the plague carrier is in “pharmacies and physical therapy centers” or in a clinic?

ENT clinics tend to be full of snotty kids, whereas physical therapy centres tend to be full of ancient people who look to be on their last legs. If the authorities actually cared, and if masks were the magic Captain America shield that you’re suggesting, and if you-know-what were the only thing that we need to concern ourselves with in public policy, The Science™ would suggest precisely the opposite of the new rule.

1 Like

I went to TMUH a couple of weeks back for an EEG to confirm that I’m still a hypochondriac who doesn’t sleep enough, and I was quite surprised that they’re still checking people’s temperature before you go in the examination rooms. I thought they’d stopped that ages ago.

At the same time, the nurse I was trapped in the small room with was clearly sick with a respiratory infection and coughing her lungs up for the entire procedure. After the temperature check, I was a bit surprised she was still allowed to work despite the obvious illness.

She said it wasn’t COVID when I asked though, and we got chatting a bit. I was half-expecting to get sick in the subsequent days but fortunately didn’t. It must have been the masks we were both wearing.

2 Likes

I love it when people cough up their guts near me and then say don’t worry, it’s not covid, it’s flu A.

Sigh of relief

6 Likes

Don’t worry, it’s not Covid. It’s TB.

1 Like

Joking aside even the WHO have admitted that TB deaths have massively increased as a result of disruption due to Covid ‘control’ measures.

2 Likes

All I heard is that it isn’t covid. After that all I hear is the sound of angels singing because all my problems have disappeared.

3 Likes

Perhaps it’s the coffee?

Don’t worry I don’t plan to give that up either.

Guy

It’s interesting to read that some forumosans seem to think that Taiwan’s massive medical system, with piles of hospitals and clinics and nurses and doctors, somehow sprung into being in early 2020—as if they were not, and are not, addressing a myriad of issues other than you-know-what. It’s really fascinating how people see things.

Guy

What are you talking about here, and who do you think thinks that? I genuinely don’t know what you mean.

Probably not. I’ve been trying not to drink more than a couple of espressos after midnight, except when absolutely necessary, so it should be alright. :whistle:

But “some forumosans” didn’t say that. It’s really fascinating how you feel the need to squish every contrary thought that you encounter here through a little cognitive die that extrudes it into the correct shape to fit into your belief box labelled “naughty and silly people”.

If the “authorities” are still chopping and dicing the rules regarding face diapers, then however much they might “care”, they (a) are clearly not authorities on anything meaningful and (b) have very little to occupy their time, so whatever money the State is wasting on their salaries might be better spent on people with some actual knowledge and practical skills, and who contribute said skills for make benefit glorious nation. Public restroom cleaners, say.

2 Likes

Oops, I have been going into pharmacies unmasked since they lifted the indoor mask mandate. Thought it was just hospitals. Nobody said anything :man_shrugging:

1 Like

When returning to TW from LAX two days ago we discovered our gate had been changed by noticing all the Taiwanese wearing masks. No joke, besides a few elderly or obese, the Taiwanese were the only ones wearing masks.

4 Likes

Starting Wednesday, masks are no longer required in school buses or at campus gatherings under a further relaxation of rules, Taipei’s health department said Friday. Masks are still required at school health centers.

https://www.cna.com.tw/news/aloc/202308250035.aspx

3 Likes