Coronavirus Taiwan - Specific Developments April 2022

FIFY

2 Likes

Did you ask? I had one eating in class, so i asked him to finish his snack in the hall and he toddled off. Or, sometimes they bring a “friend” so i started asking for the friend to sign the attendance sheet because of covid, and the guests stopped coming to class. Everyone else is all masked up all the time

1 Like

I have a couple of gangster-ish students in my remedial night classes who always have the chin strap look. Or take half of class to “eat.” A third was an exaggeration, but there’s definitely a few of them. I have enough stress in my life without getting into a pissing match with them about masking rules that I’m not even sure do much to stop Omicron. I did talk to a few of them a couple weeks ago, but after the masks being back on again for a while they always come back off soon enough. And definitely by the next class. I’m telling you, young Taiwanese don’t give a shit about COVID anymore. It was such a boogeyman for them two years ago, and now they shrug when I bring it up.

2 Likes

Really. What age are your students? I teach IELTS adult classes, around around 8-10 in a class, in quite small classrooms, and they always wear masks. I’m sure they are getting fed up with it, as am I, but they are very compliant.

2 Likes

The daytime students are normal uni age, 18 to 22 and they’re mostly compliant.

The night school (ah the joys of being a non-tenured contract lecturer) skews a bit older. Average age seems to be mid to late 20s with some middle aged people thrown in for good measure. They’re more difficult in general for reasons you can probably guess and I won’t go into here. But some of them are always pulling down their masks in class. It is what it is, and I’ve talked to a couple of them but I’m not going to report anyone over it.

My class sizes are pretty big; range anywhere from 20 something to 50 something.

1 Like

They are so short of testing kits it’s daily even/odd numbers on NHI cards. You’re required to buy something they don’t have.

It’s even numbers today, if that’s helpful.

What a clusterfuck.

For those of us that have different numbers on our ARC and NHI cards we have the freedom to go any day. Thank god for Taiwanese gov failures

4 Likes

This is exactly what happened in NZ and Aussie. I wouldn’t really get too upset. Every government in the world is playing permanent catchup on Covid supplies and every commentator is permanently criticizing those governments for not being pro active enough in forward planning.

I hate to say it but it is what it is.

7 Likes

Come off it. They had ages to stock up.

The queue outside the pharmacy is nuts. Lucky I got here early

1 Like

I don’t really get the point of testing anymore anyway. If you have symptoms then isolate for X number of days, what does getting an official diagnosis do for anyone? It’s not like cancer where they can give you treatment. Proof so you can take time off work? Proof so your insurance will pay out?

9 Likes

For me it’s so I can go about my daily business. Because I am a contact of a relative who may have been in contact with a child who tested positive.

2 Likes

Contacts of contacts have to test daily?

Is that your boss making you do that?

I share an apartment with the possible contact.

You don’t have to test daily.

No I know. But this same scenario has played everywhere. You just have to accept that at every pivot in strategy there is a huge lag in on the ground resourcing. Plus in Taiwan everyone decides they must have test kits yesterday. It was exactly the same way back in March 2020 when people were going mad trying to get masks, that they didn’t actually need that urgently.

3 Likes

Interesting - my daytime students have been pretty much all wearing masks, all the way through. Across around 150 students, I’ve got one student - who has strong night school vibes, shall we say - who I’ve told, again and again (again and again during the same sessions), to pull the mask up over his nose. A couple of months ago I didn’t care, but now, with everyone else masking up, I care again - especially because he stands out so much from everyone else in his class, and I’ve repeatedly had students indirectly complain about how some students don’t wear their masks properly and it makes them nervous.

2 Likes

They knew this would eventually happen. They knew what the demand would be. And they had observed what had happened in other countries.

3 Likes

A guy from the pharmacy just counted the line and presumably told some people at the back they were out of luck because they walked off.

1 Like

I bet these students are bringing their workplace habits (such as they are) into your classroom.

In my experience, the daytime (i.e. regularly admitted students) are already socialized into a culture of compliance, at least in the classroom.

Guy

1 Like

Canada too.

Taiwan’s advantage is that we actually know how to make stuff here.

I wonder if the inertia is based on testing never being front-and-center in the CECC’s response to this virus.

Guy

1 Like

The government computer system’s down. We have to come back at midday.

Outstanding

4 Likes