Coronavirus Taiwan - Specific Developments April 2022

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: From coronavirus

12 posts were merged into an existing topic: Coronavirus vaccination: pros, cons, alternatives

So, when do they give up on the Contact Tracing, as the numbers must be starting to overwhelm the available resources?

1 Like

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: COVID-19 Booster Shots in Taiwan

They are shifting to automatic contact tracing via app:

4 Likes

8 posts were merged into an existing topic: Taiwan launches social distancing app

April 11 2022

Local: 439
Imported: 191
Deaths: 0

Screen Shot 2022-04-11 at 2.02.32 PM

6 Likes

Covid Stats For 2022-04-11

Local = 439

Airport = 117

Quarantine = 74

Deaths = 0

6 Likes

Mildly surprised the numbers are staying relatively steady. I’m not sure what to make of that.

3 Likes

COVID Zero here we come!!! Just 3 months to flatten the curve, guys!

8 Likes

Only 31,887 tested yesterday (1.38% positive). They’ll get those numbers down one way or another!

7 Likes

How does that compare to previous days? Where do you get that data?

This is a great resource for raw data - Taiwan Covid19 Trendline - Google Sheets

I’m guessing it’s just pulled from CDC data buried on their website.

Worth noting, the positivity rate keeps climbing:
Screen Shot 2022-04-11 at 2.38.12 PM

4 Likes

It’s lower than the (still pretty low) maximum of 45-50k that it reached at some point last week IIRC, I guess because yesterday was a Sunday, and a bit higher than the baseline 20-22k they’ve been doing for months.

It comes from Reddit and the COVID dashboard thing they always link to on there.

2 Likes

Of the 3,976 domestic COVID-19 cases recorded nationwide from Jan. 1 to April 10, 15 were classified as moderate to severe infections, while the others were either mild or asymptomatic.

1 Like

Yikes! I’m just double-vaccinated, but nobody has said anything in the way of an objection.*

*I have a bone or two to pick about all this stuff, and this looks like as good a place as any for it. Moderator(s) and/or Administrator(s) feel free to temp or eradicate.

Back when I was teaching adults in Korea, whenever the class would talk about personal experiences, often one person would say, “My case is different.” And now it’s my turn to say that.

'Way back there, I did the online thingy, the one where you indicate your intention to get vaccinated, etc. I duly got an SMS, and then I did whatever it is you’re supposed to do after that. The response I got was something like, “You are not eligible for this period.”

I fiddled and fiddled with the thing, and every time the upshot was: No dice, you are not eligible, etc. So I went to Forumosa and checked with you guys, and I think some of you guys were having some problems with the system. Somebody recommended using ibon, so I went over to 7-Eleven and tried that. And the ibon thing said, “You are not eligible for this period.”

So I waited, I guess, until another period. And I tried again. I indicated my intention. But this time I didn’t get an SMS. It addressed that somehow, but I really didn’t understand the Chinese, and I couldn’t make it out well on Google Translate. For all I know, it may have said, “If you didn’t receive an SMS, go to hell, you ain’t gittin’ vaxxed, buddy.” But I assumed the best, and plugged in my Jianbao info. And it said, “You are not eligible for this period.”

So I waited for yet a third period. And I rinsed and repeated. And this time it said, in essence, “You have already received a Moderna vaccination.” Now, that would have been wonderful, just wonderful, if it had been factually true. But it was not factually true. I had not received any vaccination of any kind.

So what did I do? I asked myself, “What would Turing do?” I think some of you probably know what the answer was. I did something I don’t normally do, but you know, I had to get vaccinated in order to show up for my little gig. What I did was, I contacted somebody I knew who in turn knew somebody who in turn could get me vaccinated.

And I got a Moderna vaccination, just as the computer thingy predicted!

That was enough to allow me eventually to show up for work.

But then there was the problem of getting the second vaccination. Somebody at work called around, and they found a clinic/small hospital that was willing to do the deed. I told the person at work that I had recently had a flu shot (my doc insisted that I get one), because I was wondering whether having recently gotten a flu shot would create a problem. This person conveyed that information by phone to the people at the clinic, and they said, “Oh, no, that’s no problem, just come on over.” So we hiked over there and after some parlaying, they said, “You can’t get vaxxed. You just recently had a flu shot.”

By then, I was really tired of messing with this thing, so I decided to be naughty for a while and put off that second vaccination.

But not too long afterwards, I got a phone call from the hospital I usually go to. It turns out that they’re hooked up to some inter-hospital system, and they knew that I’d already had one shot. So I asked them if I could get a second one, and they indicated that that was why they had called me up. And that’s how I got my second one.

I’m guessing the process of getting a third one is gonna be a sockdolager. Maybe old John Donne can point the way:

7 Likes
4 Likes

I initially read that headline as “ruining”.

I notice there is no mention here of triage or early treatment. They’ve got an app for it, so the problem is solved.

3 Likes

Local governments are taking the lead. Great stuff.

3 Likes

Politicians. Walking, talking proof of the dunning-kruger effect.

2 Likes