Coronavirus Taiwan - Specific Developments May/June 2022

Omicron is endemic and in fact he knows that herd immunity of a sort has already been achieved. Just get on with things and he should open up for Summer (and who elected him…).

Its not a small impact on life quality all his zealousness!

5 Likes

Maybe more likely that it’s something on the Taiwan end. I assume some of the visa processing stuff happens here, but no idea - never dealt with TECO. But then immigration and stuff are still open, as far as I know.

1 Like

Yes except it is not. The subvariants of omicron are said to be as different as original omicron was from delta. We can and will get reinfected. I fully expect masks will continue to play a role to try to slow this down.

Guy

3 Likes

It must be that they are making them do long interviews to make sure they have a family connection and not someone trying to sneak in for all the foreigner benefits.

6 Likes

Lots of folks working from home, at my institution. It does slow down the processing of paperwork, which is still tied to stamps and the like. I agree they could definitely work more smoothly to help out folks like @DrewC 's parents.

Guy

Yeah, I imagine that’s a constant threat they need to watch out for. :sweat_smile:

It’ll be even worse if @fifieldt’s public transport petition goes ahead and foreigners are able to get the normal HSR discount and free bus travel in Taichung.

3 Likes

Yes you can, and the meaning of endemic is just that. You get reinfected. Or what did you think it meant? :smile:

Most of the time it will be extremely mild or asymptomatic.

Whats the big deal?

7 Likes

From my cold dead hands!

Guy

At the moment, they think we come here to use the health service. Soon, they/we will be flocking here to ride about on buses. I’ve heard the old people only come here to use the health service line a few times. Just doing my taxes and i spent 250nt last year. One visit to the skin doctor. I am not getting my money’s worth.

Sorry, I was contesting the “herd immunity” part. If reinfections are part of the picture, I am not surprised that additional mitigation measures (yes this includes masks) remain in place. You are the ones surprised by this, not me!

Guy

I prefer not to be cold or dead.

Cheers,
Guy

2 Likes

My wife’s dad tested positive yesterday and today my wife was by a family member that her and I should masks while we sleep so she can avoid giving it to me. I immediately put on 7 masks because it’s a great idea.

I wish they realized that the masks are for protecting others and not yourself.

2 Likes

Do you know what endemic means?
Virus constantly evolve even though they are endemic.

Me and the wife did the dirty while she had it. We put the masks back on afterwards though. Separate bathrooms and spraying down everything etc. got to follow those covid rules.

6 Likes

That’s hot?

I hope you at least kept your socks on

2 Likes

I was surprised by that. When people in my household had it, no one changed any behavior at all. No masks were ever worn, no separating, no distancing. Everyone just got it and it was over with. The only thing we did do was stay at home until symptoms disappeared.

5 Likes

Makes sense. If it was monkeypox, you woulda caught it

1 Like

To be fair, we did try at the beginning when only I was positive. Separate rooms with me wearing a mask etc. but we all got it. I had already infected my son before I knew I had it I reckon. He went down three days after me, then my daughter the next day. We didn’t make them wear masks because at that point, it was pointless. My wife had already stayed at home for seven days because of me by time she finally got it. So she and the kids ended up doing over two weeks locked indoors.

Here’s a specific development.

No more scanning your NHI card to enter Chen Hsin Hospital and no more separate entrances and exits.

I went to Chenghsin Hospital in Tienmu this morning.

Cheng Hsin General Hospital
No. 45, Zhenxing St, Beitou District, Taipei City, Taiwan 112

https://goo.gl/maps/gPvPrH8HdtEf6G2QA

Previously, I had to line up and enter Cheng Hsin Hospital through one single entry way, go to one of the many computers and insert my NHI card to register my visit. Upon leaving, I had to exit through the one single established exit on the other side of the hospital.

Today, it was simply walk in and go about my business. All computers we previously used to scan our NHI cards were unplugged and pushed back against the wall. Upon leaving, I left out the same way I had entered instead of walking to the other end of the hospital to exit.

I heard that hospitals are now free to make their own entry/exit policies, although I don’t have an official reference.

Anybody else have similar experiences at any other hospitals?

5 Likes

Went to Taipei Medical University Hospital today. You can enter via 3 entrances but the 2 that I used still required using the card and temp scan to enter. You can enter/exit the 3 ways I know how.

4 Likes