Coronavirus Taiwan - Specific Developments May/June 2022

What the hell! I even called united customer service and they told me I could only pay with a taiwanese card. They said I had to switch to the us site to pay in USD, but when I did, the tickets no longer show up!

Report Completed1

今日記者會暫停召開1次,請隨時落實個人防疫、共同守護你我健康

No Official Presser Today

Covid Stats For 2022-06-19

Local = 50,561

Imported = 75

Deaths = 172

Current Severity of Symptoms Statistics

Local Cases By Districts (Interactive Map)

3 Likes

Seems 50k is steady as she goes, but just like bitcoin, that level will eventually fall like a rock.

1 Like

This happened to me about three years ago. Call United’s American customer service and explain the problem. For me the lady was able to price match the Taiwan amount and also waived the phone booking fee.

3 Likes

Great! Though with United you might also get forcibly dragged off a plane—at no extra charge! :neutral_face:

Guy

3 Likes

Report Completed1

172 Confirmed COVID-19 Deaths Reported on June 19, 2022

Female = 65 (37.79%)
Male = 107 (62.21%)

Age Distribution

90s = 38 (22.09%)
80s = 59 (34.30%)
70s = 34 (19.77%)
60s = 23 (13.37%)
50s = 11 (6.40%)
40s = 3 (1.74%)
30s = 2 (1.16%)
20s = 1 (0.58%)
Under 5 = 1 (0.58%)

Vaccination Doses

0 = 68 (39.53%)
1 = 12 (6.98%)
2 = 20 (11.63%)
3 = 71 (41.28%)
4 = 1 (0.58%)

Chronic Disease History

Yes = 166 (96.51%)
None = 6 (3.49%)

Click to see detailed cases report

4 Likes

I only really read these for the occasional humor value (with respect to the entries by the CECC, not the deaths themselves).

Does anyone know if the CECC has clarified what kind of lisp this was? An interdental lisp? A lateral lisp? A camp lisp? This is vital information we’re missing out on! Should lispers now be worried?

I also don’t get all the “still under investigation” entries each day? Is this just what’s replaced the “none” category for asymptomatic people who happened to die while positive?

3 Likes

A LISt Processing language

When I went to Pier 2 in Kaohsiung today, I saw this disturbing sight.

Why are they still quarantining ships off shore? Why not at least let them stay in a hotel? How long have they been cordoned off there if they’re hanging giant banners pleading to go home? Barbaric shit.

8 Likes

What is this about?

1 Like

I’d like to know that myself. I’m surprised the media hasn’t gotten wind of whatever this is.

Impounded Chinese fishing vessel is my guess

I know the feeling. I’ve had a “Let Me Go To Thailand Please” banner hanging from my balcony since March 2020. The media hasn’t picked up on that either.

3 Likes

Such stories have been in the news—though this is clearly a different vessel . . .

Guy

Argentina sank a Chinese fishing boat in their waters a few years back. So this boat is doing okay.

Hey, this really terrible thing happened once. So this other, more recent and unrelated thing isn’t so bad.

2 Likes

Well, it’s a common theme from the country in question here, not respecting the other’s boundaries. Do we not need to send some sort of message? [The comment about Argentina was really a failed attempt at levity, but if you look into what happened there, they probably deserved that too. I believe no one died, just the boat was sunk for being obnoxious and violent towards the Argentina coastguard. ]

1 Like

If they were allowed to go home, surely they’d just end up being “quarantined” by the Chinese government? :clown_face:

But yeah, I dunno exactly what those long boom thingies are, but I suspect it’s a fishing vessel. The Chinese are one of the worst offenders for environmentally-destructive fishing (they even venture as far afield as Africa, because there are no effective coastguards) and have been for a few decades at least. Sinking or impounding a few of these things can only do some good.

The Taiwanese, incidentally, are a second-tier worst offender.

3 Likes

Has a Taiwan fishing boat ever ended up detained in China do you know? Curious to know what would happen there.

Not heard of one. I suspect they try to avoid such entanglements because they know China patrols the “South China Sea” aggressively, and they’ll be on their own if their vessel is impounded. If it ever happens though, I guess it all gets quietly resolved because … well, you can’t impound your “own” fishing boats for trespassing on your “own” fishing rights, can you?

2 Likes