Coronavirus Taiwan - Specific Developments May/June 2022

Meanwhile, we don’t hear about the tens of thousands of mild cases. Any death is tragic, but if influenza was this contagious we’d probably be seeing similar fatality rates.

At the end of the day it seems that very very very few ordinary healthy people if any at all are dropping down dead.

1 Like

People get injured or die on the roads every day, even when they do everything right. Yet, we need to roads to remain open for society to function. This is a calculation society makes, and deems it worth the risk.

If an individual deems the risk too high, they are free to stay at home and refuse to use the roads. Indeed, if they are extra vulnerable to injury (auto-immune disorder, diabetic, elderly), it is best that they minimize road use and drive in a car instead of a scooter. This is not fair, but it is life.

If someone rides without a helmet (vaccine) and crashes (gets covid) that is sad but ultimately the consequences are their own.

To speak more plainly, if the hospitals can’t handle the load, then implement stricter measures. Otherwise, life should go on as usual as this disease does not pose a threat to over 98% of people. If a more severe strain emerges, we can re-evaluate the risk profile and decide what to do from there.

13 Likes

Fake News!

Don’t be a blue falcon and pass along bad gouge!

3 Likes

3 Likes

Not while spraying herbicide I wouldn’t

2 Likes

Maybe take up organic farming? Then we’re all good.

Guy

Here’s a helpful illustration of what is happening in Taiwan with fatalities in relation to vaccinations:

https://twitter.com/cptwei/status/1525384969824047104?cxt=HHwWgMCogYvjoKsqAAAA

Put otherwise: There are no guarantees, but if you wish to maximize your chances to avoid dying of COVID, every dose counts.

Guy

6 Likes

Or don’t be fat. Two years to avoid that.

2 Likes

How much does being fat increase your chances of dying?

Double?

I remember that it doesn’t dramatically increase it until your bmi is over 40 which is real big.

I don’t know. Lots of diabetics dying with Covid.

I would guess that at least half of people dying with Covid are obese

Just noticed this on sky.

Diabetes almost doubles risk of death from COVID, study shows

People with diabetes are almost twice as likely to die from coronavirus, a study has found.

Researchers at the University of Aberdeen, who reviewed data from 158 studies and more than 270,000 participants from across the world, found those with diabetes were 1.87 times more likely to die with COVID.

They also found that those with diabetes were almost three times as likely to be critically ill with COVID.

However, scientists said a good management of blood sugar levels could help reduce the risk.

Stavroula Kastora, who worked on the study, said: "We found that following a COVID infection, the risk of death for patients with diabetes was significantly increased in comparison to patients without diabetes.

"Equally, collective data from studies around the globe suggested that patients with diabetes had a significantly higher risk of requiring an intensive care admission and supplementary oxygen or being admitted in a critical condition in comparison to patients without diabetes.

"However, we found that the studies that reported patient data from the EU or USA displayed less extreme differences between the patient groups.

"Ultimately, we have identified a disparity in COVID outcomes between the eastern and western world.

“We also show that good glycaemic control may be a protective factor in view of COVID-19 related deaths.”

2 Likes

So Taipei City government is taking action, giving away testing kits for free, setting up new testing sites like a drive in in Muzha and, of all places, CKS Memorial Hall. Plus Hoping Hospital is becoming an exclusive COVID dedicated hospital. Dunno how I feel about that.

Some temples are also giving away test kits.

Saliva test kits now sold in convenience stores too.

New Taipei is moving into the 4th shot. Elderly over 65 and immunocompromised. Can book online, phone or on site with hospitals or clinics.

5 Likes

……

Isn’t that the hospital they locked doctors and nurses inside during sars?

1 Like

Hopefully they make the pcr after testing positive on a rapid free.

Forced to take a pcr and you have to pay. Nuts!

2 Likes

Yep. And patients. And many people died. It became infamous for that reason. However it has been refit for epidemic control since the start of this plague.

However, one still gets the vibes from the past, as you mentioned.

1 Like

I wonder if that is on the designated hospitals or outside of designated hospitals or everywhere.

How about at the walk in testing sites? Same price?

Not sure.

I’m just going off what the guys who tested positive on a rapid and were made to take a pcr have said.

I guess the testing stations are free, but are you allowed to go to them after testing positive on a rapid?

Confusing.

As long as you do so on your own transportation, being car, scooter or YouBike.

1 Like

We will never know just a lot more than 50k per day.