Coronavirus Taiwan - Specific Developments May/June 2022

The officially reported numbers are correct.

However, the officially reported numbers only represent those who have been officially tested and added to the Covid positive scorecard.

What is the actual number of Covid positive individuals on this island? No one knows for certain because we haven’t tested all 24 million people. And it would be a waste of time, money and resources to attempt it.

We can make a wild assed guess and say that there are many many more than are being reported, but that’s all it would be is a WAG.

4 Likes

That’s what I meant. They have enough capacity to test those that want to be tested, but not enough capacity to test the true number of daily cases.

I’m not sure you understand how this works. If 80% of people getting tested are coming up positive, then obviously we don’t have enough tests to detect most of the new cases.

1 Like

As Chase Nelson has observed, it seems that the under testing and under reporting of asymptomatic / mild cases is a matter of policy. The CECC has obviously been more concerned about the moderate - severe cases and the unhappy complications that can ensue from such infections.

Guy

2 Likes

I have stated 90k tests are not the maximum Taiwan can handle each day. Nothing more, nothing less.

In any case, President Tsai reportedly banged the table and asked for more PCR testing sites to be set up pronto.

Honestly the CECC has not seemed especially interested in more testing. But one hopes that earlier diagnosis in the moderate - severe range will lead to earlier treatment with antivirals, hopefully helping at least some of these folks . . .

Guy

2 Likes

What is the false negative rate on these rapid tests?

I taught three classes on Thursday and I’ve been informed that each class now has a positive case.

I had aching muscles yesterday and now I have a slight sore throat and nose. No big deal. I feel 99%

Tested yesterday and today……negative.

3 Likes

False negative is very likely, especially at the beginning.

False positive is extremely unlikely.

Also, with rapid tests, you aren’t likely to test positive until multiple days after the onset of symptoms. Give it a few days and if you have it, you’ll likely get a positive result.

4 Likes

Tell China.

2 Likes

Is this true?

You don’t have to test all people, just a random sample…or use some other (statiscial) approach by using the current test data and transfer it to the whole population.

It was for me. I was ill for three days before I got a positive result.

5 Likes

Were you already feeling better by then?

My mom was 4 days before getting a positive.

1 Like

Which makes the way people are using them here kind of nuts.

Exposed on Tuesday, negative test on Wednesday and then on your way.

3 Likes

For better or worse, the CECC has shown little or no interest in this approach.

Guy

There will still be whiners stating that the numbers aren’t correct.

1 Like

It’s mostly vinegar but has a few other things added also, definitely not something I would want on my fish and chips.

1 Like

Have not read the posts here for two days. Interesting article by someone in Taiwan Times. Not sure if he is on this site.

Ok this is concerning.