Coronavirus Taiwan - Specific Developments May/June 2022

I was mostly adding to your comment that it doesn’t seem too hard to find, in reaction to “This is sold out in many places as well. My wife tried to buy some because Line groups and articles have recommended stocking up” by Darkesontr. His comment is what made me go to the pharmacy!

2 Likes

Seems there’s a drug shortage… I couldn’t fill my script because one of the drug is out of stock and they can’t get any…

There’s supply chain issues everywhere in the world across all fields.

2 Likes

The problem with these script is they must be filled EXACTLY. If one item is missing the entire script must be tossed. Even if they have only 40mg doses but the script calls for 80mg doses, they can’t fill it with 2x 40mg pills.

It’s stupid.

A post was split to a new topic: Eligible for epidemic prevention compensation?

2 Likes

The last one breaks my heart.

6 Likes

There’s a surprising number of “In a coma, (s)he was sent to the hospital for emergency treatment…” there, whatever that means.

Curious why they keep putting “diagnosed during hospitalization” etc. in the “symptoms” column too. Quite a few of those entries aren’t symptoms.

3 Likes

Looking at these things is an exercise in frustration. These gov’t stats appear at first glance to be detailed and useful, and then when you start digging into it you find yourself scratching your head and wondering exactly what you’re even looking at. Perhaps the original Chinese is more informative, but the translated English could have a wide range of interpretations.

2 Likes

I tend to agree. If someone in their 60s with cardiovascular disease tested positive then died two weeks later apparently with no coronavirus-related symptoms (case #34), I’d be tempted to think they may have died of something else. Triply vaccinated, nonetheless.

I’m curious how long these octa- and nonagenarians need to cling on for after testing positive for them not to be considered a COVID-19 death. I remember the case a while ago where some eightyodd-year-old person died a couple of months after testing positive but stubbornly and repeatedly refused to test positive during the bout of hospitalization preceding their death.

I wonder whether the CDC has updated/will update their classification guidelines at some point (otherwise, if they keep following the same scheme as before, you’d expect all the elderly people testing positive at the moment to die eventually…and they can’t all be COVID deaths).

3 Likes

That’s how panic buying and hoarding starts :laughing:

2 Likes

I think that might have been the one where during the daily Presser, Chen Shih-chung himself questioned why the death was on the list - there was something mentioned a long time back that went along the lines of “tested positive and had recovered more than X months ago would not be treated as a Covid-19 related death”. That X must be 2 or 3 presumably. I think it was also clarified at some stage that a reported death that was clearly not Covid-19 related (a Car accident etc) would not be reported as a Covid-19 related death even if the deceased was Positive at the time.

2 Likes

The inherent problem here is that you have to be incredibly unlucky to die of omicron. Unlike the historical variants of COVID, it doesn’t seem to be the kind of pathogen that can actually kill you in a direct manner.

What I’d like to see here is a brief description of the clinical progress of each patient - starting with whether the patient was admitted because they were sick with COVID. Somebody, somewhere, should be able to elucidate what death-by-omicron typically looks like; we can compare the two and assign a likelihood that patient X died of COVID, of something else, of some combination thereof.

If, as you said, someone is admitted for complications related to cardiovascular disease and dies without COVID symptoms (but tests positive) then it does nobody any favours to put his death on the COVID list. Apart from anything else, it pollutes the vaccine efficacy measurement. Problem is, I suppose, more detailed descriptions would raise privacy concerns.

1 Like

Seems a lot of deaths are meningitis… which is already deadly on its own. So I don’t even know if covid has anything to do with it.

Basically many of the child deaths are likely normal infant mortality deaths that happen to test positive for covid.

5 posts were merged into an existing topic: From coronavirus

That was my impression. Little kids get meningitis (plus a whole lot of other weird stuff). It’s not common, but there’s definitely a handful of cases each year as a matter of routine. And it should be treated AS meningitis. As I recall, they put one kid on remdesivir and a vent, with the implication that the meningitis was ignored. I really hope that isn’t what happened.

This is not that hot, maybe an hour old now, so this may be a duplicate post. Taipei, next week snap school shutdown, not including kindergarten.

1 Like

Circuit breaker.

1 Like

Personally I can’t see the logic, especially after viewing that heat map posted above.

personally I don’t get it either. Can someone more knowledgeable please shed some light on why they are just now deciding to close - and for only a week, that hundreds of thousands in Taipei have already been exposed? Or is it just pre-election security theater? It seems it runs the risk of being extremely inconvenient for parents who have already had their kids yo-yo-ing in and out of in-school and online learning over the past monthish…

This seems like the goal:

This, I am afraid, will be the reality:

3 Likes