šŸ˜· COVID | Traveling during Covid-19

Who wants to travel there, now?

Not me. Still have to do 14 days in solitary on return to Taiwan, and I gather that the fares wont be cheap, more of a Business Traveller thing.

Time to check Singapore hotel and flight rates and availability.

3 Likes

Cheapest round trip under NT$7000, lots of roundtrip flights under NT$12000.

1 Like

What about the smell?

Itā€™s a catch 22. If you retain your sense of smell, perhaps you donā€™t have COVID, but itā€™s unpleasant. If you have lost your sense of smell, it may be less unpleasant but you might have COVID.

Only in 2020 could I even think of writing sentences like that. :slightly_frowning_face:

Guy

4 Likes

Da fock!? Never heard of ā€˜disinfectantā€™?

INCOMING! Wonder how long it will last!?

Restrictive at both ends.
TW to SG - Have to do a PCR test upon arrival and pay SGD196 for it.
Stay in Isolation for 1-2 days after arrival waiting for the test result.
Still have to do Quarantine in Taiwan after return.
SG-TW is unchanged, shortened Quarantine for Business Travellers, Tourists etc not permitted.

1 Like

Do you happen to know whether the shorter quarantine only applies to Singapore business travellers or does it also apply to returning Taiwan residents who are business travellers?

I cant remember, it was in a Singapore Govt website.

if Taiwanese visit Taiwan for short business travels, it is applied to them.

They need

1. To come from low risk places
  2. Their stay should be within 3 months
  3. Covid19 test negative results within 3 days
  4. Proofs of their business activities, their schedules in Taiwan, and epidemic prevention plans provided by host companies

They donā€™t need entry permit.

1 Like

So the shorter quarantine does not apply to a Taiwanese resident who goes to Singapore for business and returns to Taiwan?

Looks like Dubai will be packed on NYE:

I donā€™t get these people. Stay the f home. Partying that important? Traveling that essential to your life? Everyone is me me me, me first. If you donā€™t help to fix the problem, at least donā€™t make it worse.

1 Like

UAE is allowing Tourists in - only restriction is a test in the previous 96 hours, or one when you get there. And the UK (and no doubt some other countries) lets them back in with no Quarantine requirement. Need we say any more.

Hereā€™s a thread to share how your travel or travel plans have been affected by the covid 19.

I will start with Tammyā€™s current travel back to her home country of Indonesia starting yesterday.
Over a year ago she got a ticket to travel back to Indonesia with her fav (normal) carrier Singapore Airlines by way of Singapore.

They wouldnt refund her ticket after the virus affected travel but gave her a one year extension. Her year was almost up so she decided to use the ticket. I suggested perhaps forgoing the ticket and the trip. But her family had just all been affected by the virus. Bros and Sistas all good no obvious effects. Her mom and dad came down with it fairly strongly but no hospital required and are ok now.
She wants to see them understandably (but only after they are showing negative for covid ) and besides points got her a premium economy upgrade.

Well there was quite a few hurdles to overcome .Apparently there are 3 types of Covid tests, i have forgotten the details already. But apparently singapore airlines requires one type, and indonesia requires another type and both of these types are not given free in the bay area. So it was 175 for one and 110 for the other and they must be taken within 48 hours of boarding so luckily those tests have results in 60 mins.

Then apparently SQ had something like 57 flights a week between SFO and LAX and SIN. But no SFO flights these days and LAX is down to five flights a week. So she had to take a Southwest down to LAX from SFO and will do same on return.

So thats an extra two flights of bout 200 bucks for the two.

So it was one heck of a travel day for her. 2 hours prior to take off check in at SFO, followed by a wait for the plane then an hours flight then because of timing a six hour wait for her SIN flight on SQ. Which onboard there were less than 100 passengers she said. There were only 3 Premium Economy passengers out of something like 30 possible on the A350. So the flight was good she said. But it was 17 and a half hours long from LAX nonstop to SIN. Followed by a few hours wait for the next flight to JKT>

Now here is where it gets good !!

The Indonesian govt doesnt allow people other than citizens and residents into Indonesia currently and requires a Five Day quarantine.

The good thing is that she got a decent hotel courtesy of the Indo govt for the five days, which includes 3 free meals in the room per day as well as 5 items of laundry free per day. And a free covid test upon arrival and presumably another one after the five days.

So that was unexpected. Her room is quite nice too !
She gets to indulge in her favorite hobby for five days.
Sleep and eat and not have to leave her room. She can internet and call people much as she wants.

She will let me know how the virus is shaping up in Jakarta later.

Meantime here in the bay area we are supposed to stay within the bay area and not travel north past napa or south past santa cruz. People who leave these areas are supposed to self quarantine at home upon return. I guess people who pass on the disease could face a misdemeanor charge as there doesnt seem to be active enforcement.

We do have a 10pm curfew and the streets are super quiet at that time, although i dont see active enforcement

today is new years eve and seems everyone is staying in, i have heard only a few firecrackers going off.

corona virus has killed the new years eve this year

2 Likes

Will she have a load of hurdles on the return?