😷 COVID | Traveling during Covid-19

Important for anyone planning to travel to/ return to Canada;

Returning to Canada?

Effective November 21, 2020, travellers to Canada will be required to submit arrival information digitally. This is a significant step in stopping the spread of COVID-19 by sharing traveller information quickly and securely.

Pre-arrival to Canada:

• As of November 21, 2020, air travellers whose final destination is Canada will be required to submit their information electronically through ArriveCAN before they board their flight. This includes travel and contact information, quarantine plan (unless exempted under conditions set out in the Mandatory Isolation Order)( https://orders-in-council.canada.ca/attachment.php?attach=39829&lang=en), and COVID-19 symptom self-assessment.
  • Travellers must be ready to show their ArriveCAN receipt when seeking entry into Canada; a border services officer will verify that they have submitted their information digitally.
  • Travellers who do not submit the required information digitally before boarding their flight could be subject to enforcement action, which can range from verbal warnings to $1,000 fine.
  • Exceptions will be made for those unable to submit documents electronically due to personal circumstances, such as disability or inadequate infrastructure.

Post-entry to Canada:

• As of November 21, 2020, travellers who enter Canada by air, land or marine modes, unless exempted under conditions set out in the Mandatory Isolation Order, will also be required to submit information through ArriveCAN or by calling the 1-833-641-0343 toll-free number during their quarantine or isolation period. Within 48 hours of entering Canada, travellers must confirm they have arrived at their place of quarantine or isolation and those in quarantine must complete a daily COVID-19 symptom self-assessment during their quarantine period.
  • Travellers who don’t use ArriveCAN to submit their information before entering Canada will be required to call the 1-833-641-0343 toll-free number on a daily basis throughout their quarantine or isolation period to provide their post-border information. They will not be able to revert to using ArriveCAN.
  • Travellers who do not submit the mandatory information required after they have crossed the border will be considered a high priority for follow-up by law enforcement.

The ArriveCAN app is available for download on:
•Google Play ( https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ca.gc.cbsa.coronavirus ) for Android.
•App Store (https://apps.apple.com/us/app/canarrive/id1505394667?mt=8) for iOS.

Travellers can also submit their information by signing in online (https://arrivecan.cbsa-asfc.cloud-nuage.canada.ca/privacy).

For additional information, please consult the following page: Canada.ca/ArriveCAN (https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/coronavirus-disease-covid-19/arrivecan.html)

4 Likes

Wondering if anyone has info about which countries would be best for making a visa run. I know the list is probably very small right now. Problem is I overstayed my visa (long story), and now need to leave the country within a month, and apply for the work visa for my school abroad. Really don’t want to do a 14 day isolation period (would rather choose going home to Canada to do that). Right now the only countries I’ve seen as possibilities are Turkey and UAE, as it seems they don’t have a mandatory quarantine period. I need to purchase my plane ticket by this Friday, so trying to gather info as quickly as possible. Thanks for any help.

If you are not American, but connecting on a flight in America, do they still consider Taiwan as part of China and thus will deny you entry? (it says on this page that people having come from China will not be allowed in)

You may also want to plan if you are refused a visa at the Taiwan office in those countries. Where do you go then/are your affairs in order in Taiwan?

No. The US may be stupid, but not that stupid. That rule has been in place for a long time and plenty of Forumosans have gone to the US and come back.

As of right now, are there any rules in place for travelers going from Taiwan to the US? Do ARC holders have to get a negative test, or can we just get on the plane back? Is one able to do a layover in, say, Japan or Korea?

Yes but are those forumosans US citizens? I am not one - I would still have to pass immigration which I can without a visa, but I am coming from Taiwan so I am worried about it counting as China and not being let in due to stricter borders.

This is not a thing.

Travel will be tricky for various reasons, but not this one.

Guy

Yeah, that’s a good point, it can be hard to know after an overstay, plus with all the current restrictions in place. Might be safest to just go back to Canada, give it a shot there.

Dec. 1 to Feb. 28, 2021

• all passengers, regardless of nationality or purpose of arrival
  • who enter or transit through Taiwan’s airports
  • must submit proof of a negative COVID-19 nucleic acid test three days before their scheduled flight to Taiwan
2 Likes

I just read this article, much the same as above stating travel restrictions until 28 February or later.

I’m thinking/hoping keep giving us foreigners the monthly automatic visa extension until feb-mar?

Can I be confident in re-booking my flight back home to March?

From possible flight cancellations to shifting COVID regulations, I don’t think you can be confident about anything right now. But you could try to set this up to see what happens.

You might also consider monitoring the airline specific forum over at flyertalk to keep track of what your selected airline is doing too.

Hope this works out,

Guy

3 Likes

Automatic visa extension is already until Feb if you came in just before the lockdown

1 Like

Wow I assumed was December, you have made my day :blush:
I’m going to call to confirm.

1 Like

Everybody’s individual date is based on their entry date and even though they post the announcements on their website, you should all call to confirm the exact date they have on file for you, especially keeping in mind the extensions are 30 days and not full months.

What I was saying is that the “last of the visa-freecans” are extended to February. If you entered earlier, you may only have till January or December.

Thanks, I will visit next week.
My entry date was 28 February, yes 30 days make sense as my leaving date was 24 November, passport stamp.
however 2 updates since then gives me January 20?

Contact the NIA and find out. No need to sit around worrying—just get the info from the authorities.

Guy

3 Likes

Regularly scheduled passenger flights on CAL and EVA are now connecting Taiwan and Vietnam. Such flights had been suspended since March.

No tourists are permitted entry into Vietnam—but these flights will certainly help business travellers as well as I presume those with family connections:

Guy

2 Likes

Taiwan High Speed Rail will have new mask regulations effective December 1, 2020. Key points:

Starting Dec. 1, visitors are required to wear a mask upon entering THSR stations. The rule applies to the entire area of the stations, including the lobby, ticket booths, and other zones.

Previously, passengers were asked to put on a mask when entering the gates and waiting to board trains. Masks can still be temporarily removed when eating or drinking, according to THSR.

Guy

1 Like

Yeah did eventually, 22 Jan for me.
I’m risking changing my flight date to 20 February, cost me lots of bucks if I have re-book again backwards.

It’s time to travel! Just be ready for 14 days (or is it 5 days?) quarantine when you return.
https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/covid-19-singapore-open-up-to-travellers-from-taiwan-ong-ye-kung-13750320

3 Likes