😷 COVID | Traveling during Covid-19

So you’re saying China really isn’t testing tens of millions of people in 2-3 days, with all tests coming back negative? :astonished:

Has anybody watched flights recently?

I noticed the flight I am watching jump to almost double in price from a few days ago. And the next one up from there is double again.

I am guessing beyond the normal price gouging that they are filling up one segment of the flight and that’s raising the whole ticket price?

On the other hand I am seeing a lot of announcements recently about routes opening up etc.

I know it’s case by case, but would it be better to just try to secure a flight more in advance (being wary that too far in advance may result in a cancellation) at that potentially double price or keep waiting?

Japan is no longer requiring Taiwanese residents to provide a certificate for negative polymerase chain reaction test results upon arrival in Japan.

The newly resumed San Francisco-Taipei passenger route on United is now operating, with the first flight from SFO scheduled to arrive here in Taiwan tomorrow afternoon:

Guy

1 Like

I heard ARC and APRC holders do not need a COVID test before coming to Taiwan. I know one ARC holder that is flying back to Taiwan soon based on this information from TECO.

This would make returning to Taiwan from a trip much less hassle.

Anyone know anything?

If true, this would make life a bit easier for me too. It doesn’t make any sense, but I’d be interested in confirmation.

If you’re in the Philippines (as I surmise you are?) and coming to Taiwan, then you’ll be subject to a specific set of rules (I think!).

Guy

They will still be tested upon arrival in Taiwan and then quarantine like others. So I guess some benefit for some resident card holders.

ah, got it.

Doesn’t make any difference to me then. I have to get tested just to get on the plane.

This has been the case for quite some time.

1 Like

So when do you figure unrestricted international travel will be allowed again?

According to Health Minister Chen, large scale outbound travel from Taiwan won’t likely happen until near the end of 2021:

Guy

1 Like

What countries can Taiwan residents go to without quarantining on arrival? I know lots of European countries, but how about Asian countries?

I think nearly everywhere in Asia, unless you are a citizen of the destination country, or unless you have some compelling reason to travel, you won’t be permitted to enter and therefore won’t even be allowed onto the plane.

In short, casual travel, visa runs, and tourism are alas still not a thing. And this is what I believe Minister Chen is talking about.

Guy

1 Like

I think Taiwan residents can enter Hong Kong and Macau. Although, when they say Taiwan residents do they mean citizens or all residents? China usually refers to Taiwan citizens as Taiwan residents, so not sure.

What don’t you do some research on the HK government website and report back to us? That would be more helpful to our community. Thanks.

Guy

The government site is vague and doesn’t give a clear answer.

This thread on Reddit also discusses the issue but no clear answer was found.

We need to find a foreign resident of Taiwan who has flown to Hong Kong recently to clear things up.

:rofl:

Guy

Perhaps don’t reply to posts unless you can offer useful input. That would be more helpful to our community. Thanks.

Another Guy

2 Likes

You would have to check the relative Country websites to answer the Quarantine question, and likewise whether you are even allowed in if not a Citizen. Reports of others are only as good as the day they entered as its a rather fluid situation. Likewise, if you are considering travel, check the relative Airline Website as well.

In respect to HK, it’s 14 days in Quarantine for everyone, HK Residents included.