šŸ˜· COVID | Traveling during Covid-19

I think thereā€™s some kind of supplement or percentage the Taiwan government pays like 50% or something Iā€™m not sure. Includes for long distances like the other side of Taiwan.

1 Like

Indeed they do. So people complaining that they canā€™t Airbnb in Taipei should just try it in Hualien or somewhere.

Maybe

Hello, I know itā€™s probably not even on the map in the foreseeable future, but I still want to ask if there is anyone who knows anything about regular tourists coming to taiwan? Is there anything at all or the only focus is for those who really need to come to Taiwan?

Currently there are no tourists coming to Taiwan.

And based on what Iā€™ve read, there are no plans to allow tourists to come to Taiwan in the foreseeable future, aside from circumscribed ā€œtravel bubblesā€ such as the proposed one with Palau that fell through.

Cheers,
Guy

1 Like

I would give anything for a Taiwan/Thailand bubble. Thailandā€™s probably not going to risk pissing off China by doing that, though, sadly.

At the current rate, check back in 2022.

Taiwan, which hasnā€™t had a local case in 200 some odd days, wasnā€™t even able to get a travel bubble going with Palau, which has 0 cases, depends heavily on tourism and is one of the few countries that recognizes Taiwan. Says a lot about where things are at.

But Thailand might not be as safe as it seems.

1 Like

The restarted EVA passenger route travelling between TPE-BKK (flights were operating before, but with cargo only) does not even have a regular schedule.

EVA has stated thereā€™re aiming for two flights per week with the schedule shifting depending on demand (in this case I would presume Thai workers, as almost all Taiwanese are not permitted to enter Thailand right now).

Guy

1 Like

The existence of flights between two countries is not the same thing as a travel bubble.

唉, feels so strange living in Sweden since local cases are nothing but normal and expected, while other countries are making each new case news

2 Likes

But Thailand is open to wealthy Chinese tourists now through its special long-term tourist visa. If Taiwan is part of China as China claims, and Thailand adheres to this principle, doesnā€™t this mean that Taiwanese should be able to apply for the visa too? :thinking:

Yes of course. Please call or visit your nearest mainland China Thai embassy for more information.

In early October Thailand began its new STV or Special Tourist Visa. This is available to low risk covid countries such as China and Taiwan. I want to travel to Thailand in January. Does anyone know if the Thai Trade Office in Taipei (the one that used to arrange visas) now accepts applications for the STV? If so, how much info/documentation do they want?

EVA Air and China Airways are both beginning passenger flights to Bangkok (a good sign).

I would hedge a bet only Taiwan nationals could get it.

Is issued, but only for Taiwan nationals and ARC holders. You can just write them an email and they will tell you all required things (incl. outrageously priced insurance requirements, bank balance requirements, health certificate requirements and various other things).

Taiwan seems a much safer place than Thailand re covid. There are sporadic cases of covid in Thailand, some acknowledged, some hidden. And Thailand is increasingly desperate to get some tourists. For virtually all countries this has ended in high infection rates. So unless you have an ARC to be able to get back into Taiwan, you would not want to go to Thailand anyway

If and when a country opens to touristsā€“Iā€™m specifically thinking of Vietnamā€“would allowances or restrictions be based on your passport country or the country youā€™re coming from?

I have a US passport but havenā€™t left Taiwan since last January. Iā€™m hoping a record of travel would be sufficient, but I have a feeling itā€™s based on your passport country.

I searched this thread for an answer but didnā€™t see one (or missed it). If anyone has a link to something official that would be even better. Iā€™ll keep searching myself in the meantime.

1 Like

Wait, is China actually low-risk? I have been assuming this whole time that itā€™s still going on there, at least at a low level. And itā€™s not like you can trust the CCP when they say ā€˜everything is fine and dandy, no coronavirus here!ā€™ considering they did that from the startā€¦

thailand says ā€œlow-risk country according to the health ministry departmentā€ and actually hasnā€™t defined who these countries are. in reality itā€™s going to be ā€˜countries that spend a lot of money here like china because we are going broke.ā€™ i wouldnā€™t be surprised if europe and/or US end up on that list too. even with this visa you still need to do a 14-day hotel quarantine in thailand, and if you are coming from china or taiwan, youā€™ll have to do a 14-day quarantine going back, so i canā€™t see this attracting any actual tourists. itā€™s going to be all ppl who were long-term living in thailand (but without a real visa) going back.

1 Like

Depends on the country and the regulations then in place. So you just have to wait and see.

Also even if there are no covid restrictions based on your country of citizenship, they could still come in as a matter of fact via the country only issuing the visa in your country of citizenship (and some countries might well intentionally use a mechanism like this to keep certain nationalities out on purpose regardless of their location, e.g. because certain nationalities are famous for disregarding rules concerning covid)

1 Like

Well it shouldnā€™t be if people have learned anything from this whole debacle. Taiwanese and south koreans who returned home were tested as negative in china, tested again in their home countryā€™s and were tested positive. So not only are their tests bullshit, its obvious that their current show of ā€˜we have beaten covidā€™ is another irresponsible lie and here with china again doing the same shit it was doing at the start of the year.

4 Likes