šŸ˜· COVID | Traveling during Covid-19

The whole quarantine taxi thing is just protectionism. The drivers donā€™t give a shit. Very few would actually wear a mask, and if its the same mask theyā€™ve been wearing all week itā€™s going to be next to useless.

That being said, thereā€™s yet to be a case of community transmission involving a taxi driver which would suggest that itā€™s all overkill.

2 Likes

Taiwanā€™s only real cluster was from, ah, a taxi driver. Long time ago now mind.

2 Likes

Note the date: Feb 17, 2020.

1 Like

Yes, thatā€™s when it happened.

:rofl: :rofl:

Itā€™s weird reading that now down the road a ways. But it also shows how on top of it the CDC was even then.

1 Like

Has someone been tested for the virus after they finished their quarantine? And which could be the case? (except for privately necessary tests like for work etcā€¦)

There are flights to HK but I agree, there probably wonā€™t be a travel bubble (no quarantine) for tourists anytime soon. I was thinking more of Thailand and Singapore.

Thereā€™s going to be a travel bubble between HK and Singapore, so if Taiwan opens up to one then other is automatically included.

That would be great. Not sure how they are going to set it up but the travel bubble could also be only for residents (citizens? - hope not) of the respective countries.

Currently in Taiwan all international students are apparently being tested at the end of their 14 day quarantine. Others might as wellā€”regarding this point I simply donā€™t know.

Guy

Currently in quarantine. So far, no one has informed me about a pending test. So I guess they wonā€™t be testing me.

Although I would really understand if they just mandated tests for everyone near the end of quarantine. I mean Iā€™m already paying almost NT$ 40k for the quarantine hotel - so I wouldnā€™t really mind having to pay maybe another NT$ 1000 for a mandatory testā€¦

Yes and yes. He put on the mask after we asked him to.

1 Like

Singapore is starting flights to New York USA.

This could get complicated.

In the old country if you have a negative test you skip quarantine. Sigh.

They have still been flying their Singapore-Los Angeles route, so this isnā€™t too different. Of course the populations that can take these flights are rather limited aside from transit passengers.

Thanks for the info. I guess it doesnā€™t really matter then. The cab ride to our destination is pretty reasonable. On the other hand, my BIL will diligently disinfect any car we borrow (plus it will probably sit in the Hualien sun for a few days, which should make the internal temperature too high for any potential fomites to survive. So, weā€™ll see what our family suggests.

Any insight into the situation at the arrival terminal exit? Family says most/all of the people there are actually arriving passengers waiting in line to buy sim cards.

Did anyone arrive recently? How long to get through customs? Pre-Covid we were out with bags in under 90 minutes from WoW. Iā€™m assuming itā€™s longer now. We land at 17:10, maybe. As I mentioned, we have a long ride to our quarantine. Wondering if we are delayed at the airport, traffic is slow, and get in the door at 00:30, does our quarantine start the day after we stepped foot inside?

If you already have a Taiwan SIM card, and do the online arrival registration, your experience will be very, very fast. On par if not better than the usual arrival process.

The bottleneck is the quarantine cab situation, but Iā€™ve seen many people just hop in privately arranged vehicles instead.

1 Like