šŸ˜· COVID | Traveling during Covid-19

Sorry I only know UK, Canada way not sure of US extension.

Thereā€™s a possibility foreign students will be allowed back in Taiwan for the winter semester.

ā€œWhether to grant non-degree students, including 450 foreigners planning to study Chinese in Taiwan on MOE scholarships, entry into Taiwan will be discussed after October. Prior to the health crisis, Taiwan saw annual growth of five to six percent in the number of foreign students, according to China Times.ā€

If only my school wouldnā€™t force me to provide proof by October 23rd I can enter the country by late November, I might actually be able to begin studying for the winter semester! Sadly though, I need MOE to make the announcement in the next eight days.

Not to mention the fact that quarantine hotels are booked weeks in advance at the moment, so the potential for me to successfully fulfill all needs and requirements in time for an early December start-date is next to impossible. Without any forewarning from the government, if a decision is made after October, language students are going to be forced to pay premium costs for quarantine facilities insofar as the government provides us far less time to prepare for arrival by mid to late November (considering that cheaper quarantine facilities are booked farther in advance).

1 Like

Perhaps your school will be flexible given the situation.

We are a family of 4 coming to Taiwan from California to visit family. The special entry permits for our US Citizen family members arrive tomorrow and weā€™re planning on flying early in November. We will be extra careful to stay away from everyone between deplaning and getting to our quarantine house. (Thanks forumosa for the warnings about the situation at the arrival terminal exit! We will tell our family to avoid it!)

Two questions:

1. Do you think the SFO -> TPE United Airlines flight will fly every day as advertised? We would rather fly EVA or CI, but the planned daily United flight is SO much cheaper and more convenient for a family. The only problem is whether United will actually fly the route as advertised, or keep cancelling until the flight fills up enough to justify flying. Any insight? Any way that I can check this ahead of time?

2. What is the quarantine taxi situation like? Can we get a 6-seater cab? We donā€™t want to endanger the driver during the hours it will take to get to our destination. We could borrow a car from our family and drive that (Iā€™m used to driving in Taiwan and have an IDL), with no one else in the car but us, However, our family would need to disinfect it before getting it back. I think a quarantine cab is safer in that regard, but Iā€™m not sure. Anyone have experience with a long quarantine cab ride? Did you feel like the driver was adequately protected?

Check out https://www.flightradar24.com/ - shows history of flights.

Unitedā€™s SFO-TPE route hasnā€™t yet restarted, so itā€™s impossible to predict whether or not it will fly as planned. The situation is so fluid and airlines are constantly changing their approaches, so itā€™s up to you whether or not the cheaper flight is worth the risk. EVA and CI have been much more consistently not cancelling flights than United has, so if the security is worth it to you book with them.

There are multiple sizes of quarantine taxi so it should be no issue for you to get a larger one! I personally saw larger taxis with a second row. Our driver did not take sufficient precautions for our ~1.5hr taxi. He wasnā€™t even wearing a mask for the first half of it and kept asking if we could stop places to pick up things. It was bizarre, but I donā€™t think this is a common experience. Take the taxi, itā€™ll be fine.

1 Like

What were the warnings? Can you link?

:thinking:

Did you ask him to put on his mask? Did you report him?

1 Like

Well, youā€™d likely piss off a ton of Taiwanese factory owners/corporations which employ those Filipinosā€¦ so maybe not so easy?

Just to be clear: you are responding to an emotional point made IN FEBRUARY, a lifetime ago in COVID times, over the Philippines kneejerk reaction at that time to suspend arrivals from Taiwan.

Now back to October 2020! : D

Guy

1 Like

The United flights resume in early November, 3 times per week. My guess is they will stick, for at least a short while, as I donā€™t think theyā€™d bother with an announcement otherwise.

We are a family of 4 coming to Taiwan from California to visit family. The special entry permits for our US Citizen family members arrive tomorrow and weā€™re planning on flying early in November. We will be extra careful to stay away from everyone between deplaning and getting to our quarantine house. (Thanks forumosa for the warnings about the situation at the arrival terminal exit! We will tell our family to avoid it!)

Two questions:

1. Do you think the SFO -> TPE United Airlines flight will fly every day as advertised? We would rather fly EVA or CI, but the planned daily United flight is SO much cheaper and more convenient for a family. The only problem is whether United will actually fly the route as advertised, or keep cancelling until the flight fills up enough to justify flying. Any insight? Any way that I can check this ahead of time?

2. What is the quarantine taxi situation like? Can we get a 6-seater cab? We donā€™t want to endanger the driver during the hours it will take to get to our destination. We could borrow a car from our family and drive that (Iā€™m used to driving in Taiwan and have an IDL), with no one else in the car but us, However, our family would need to disinfect it before getting it back. I think a quarantine cab is safer in that regard, but Iā€™m not sure. Anyone have experience with a long quarantine cab ride? Did you feel like the driver was adequately protected?

I read that it was open like usual with crowds milling around the arriving passengers. Iā€™m sorry, you can probably find it faster than I can figure out linking in this forum. Maybe the situation has changed?

We havenā€™t been inside any building other than our house (and my workplace), or within 6 feet of anyone else, for 8 months now. Getting on a plane is going to beā€¦ Well, weā€™re going to feel totally contaminated upon arrival, even with raincoats, face shields, masks, and getting sprayed down.

Is this old news? Thereā€™s a flight arriving in 2 hours. One every day and they look to be on time.

1 Like

There are a few like that - CI51 to Sydney shows as operating every day on FR24, and it is - but not with passengers, its running with just Cargo. Taoyuan Airport Arrivals show UA2840 as Cancelled. The chances are that the current flight is like that too, empty seats, full Cargo Hold.

2 Likes

It would seem that Taiwan would be a natural candidate for a similar travel bubble within Asia. Maybe it is not interested in taking the risk as the other countries still have local transmissions.

1 Like

Hahaā€¦ ok, thanks. Guess I need to pay more attention to the time stamp of these posts

1 Like

Thatā€™s probably part of it, but itā€™s 2-sided. Probably other countries donā€™t want to take the whole one china thing on right now.

I donā€™t see HK-TPE flights resuming for a long, long time. Hong Kong just ejected most of Taiwanā€™s diplomats as they wonā€™t sign the one-China pledge. Hong Kong ATC has denied Taiwan flights access to the Dongsha Islands. A travel bubble between the two places isnā€™t going to happen.