Coronavirus Vaccine Discussion

What is your definition of “Fat” ?

That’s not the topic of this thread.

You are getting a lot of leeway here veering off course…

So do you have any numbers? Really, ballpark numbers are OK. I’m not expecting you to be precise with things that are inherently hard to define.

2 Likes

As I said, I’m using ‘fat’ as shorthand for ‘people with metabolic syndrome’. It’s possible to be fat and not have (advanced) m.s. because getting fat is essentially a defence mechanism against metabolic meltdown; people who “can’t” get fat tend to get sicker, quicker, when exposed to a poor diet for years on end. It’s also possible, therefore, to have m.s. while not being fat. Nevertheless, there’s a fair amount of overlap.

1 Like

There’s not much to be gained discussing vaccines with someone who doesn’t even believe that attempting to improve one’s own personal health whilst waiting for those jabs, is a worthwhile endeavour.

Or who doesn’t even believe, despite all evidence, that doing so will absolutely assist that individual in becoming less susceptible to Covid, jab or no jab.

(Vaccine necessity and/or efficacy for any particular demographic nothwithstanding!) :wink:

A balanced and informed approach to vaccines - and the entire pandemic - is best. Otherwise one ends up sounding like a fanatic, reduced to repeating childish slogans and comparing sack size. We’re all adults here and we shouldn’t be trying to force the vaccine on anyone, nor to silence anyone who seeks a balanced approach to the pandemic, nor silence those who don’t want the vaccine and see no need for themselves to take it.

I’ve noticed a few links to articles that cry, “Covid denier dies of Covid! (Ha!) Their last words, ‘Take the vaccine! I was wrong!’” These articles are smug and mean-spirited.

And then, after reading those articles, one usually one finds that they had underlying healh issues, mainly of being overweight, or obesity-related. Should they have taken the jab? Maybe. I’m not saying they shouldn’t. That should be their choice. But if we really also wanted to help that person live the healthiest life they could, then why not also work on those underlying issues as well? Could have been two years of mandated good health. That would have assisted them in fending off any future low-immune system illnesses and diseases, including Covid, and make them less reliant on meds for their other obesity-related issues.

An overweight or obese ‘Covid-denier/ anti-vaxxer’ and an overweight or obese ‘pro-vaxxer’ seem to have a lot in common. Denial.

From the CDC, today:

Children and teens gained weight faster during the COVID-19 pandemic, with the rate of body mass index increase nearly doubling amid the pandemic compared to a pre-pandemic period, according to the CDC’s Sept. 17 Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report.

More than 432,000 people between the ages of 2 and 19 were included in the study. Researchers looked at longitudinal trends in BMI both before and during the pandemic.

They found the rate of BMI increase approximately doubled from 0.052 prepandemic to 0.100 during the pandemic period, with children who were overweight or obese before the pandemic experiencing the sharpest increases. Children between the ages of 6 and 11 saw the sharpest increase in their rate of BMI change compared to other age groups.

Additionally, the report found the proportion of children with obesity rose from 19.3 percent in August 2019 to 22.4 percent a year later.

“During the COVID-19 pandemic, children and adolescents spent more time than usual away from structured school settings, and families who were already disproportionately affected by obesity risk factors might have had additional disruptions in income, food, and other social determinants of health,” the report said. “As a result, children and adolescents might have experienced circumstances that accelerated weight gain.”

2 Likes

Some different strains of conversation here don’t seem to sit well together. I started two more specific threads.

1 Like

5 posts were merged into an existing topic: Coronavirus vaccination: pros, cons, alternatives