Coronavirus Vaccine in Taiwan - April 2021

Theres an old crone waiting who arrived after me. And she’s so eager to dash forward and jump in first whrn the clinic opens—on her feet whenever a medical person goes near the door.

Im determined to beat her to the punch out of spite.

2 Likes

They did in the hospital I went to.
There was a lot of repetitive form filling which I found annoying, but it was well organized. They would struggle to do real mass vaccination in the hospitals though…Too small.

1 Like

I have to say I felt like crap most of Saturday. Mild doesn’t quite cover it. Sunday was 90% recovered. Maybe getting older because the last flu I got before this was no fun ? . Wife had a little muscle pain and sore arm but was in much better shape . She had a slightly raised temp, I didn’t have any fever.
I told my skeptical vaxxer friend back home I got it already eager to see his response . :grin:

3 Likes

It does feel good. But you can’t play that game all the time as it will wear you out.

Turned into a parking lot ahead of this guy yesterday. In the 101 area where many feel like they own the world. I had the right of way (not that this means anything here). With his big car he was not a happy person. Stared me down in B4. Stood there like a crazy man looking at my car as I parked. I just got out and smiled at him like he was crazy man that he is. It felt great but I let most of these silly encounters go.

6 Likes

Yeah, but always watch out.
You never know if he’ll key-scratch your car or do something more stupid when you’re not around to catch it. Too many crazies lately.

3 Likes

I beat the old crone to register and being able to delay the impatient old bat for an extra 5 minutes brings me profound joy.

7 Likes

I heart this. :grin:
Good way to start the week.

2 Likes

The chaotic bit is step 3. Filling in the health forms.

Theres 2 nurses with the patience of saints dealing with around 30 people filling in forms incorrectly (I did this), needing a translation (me again) and not knowing how to use the blood pressure machine (not me this time) and calling people to the clinic when needed.

Step 3 is a mess.

3 Likes

He told me he respects my decision and looking forward to seeing me when I’m back. That’s a good friend.

3 Likes

Jab done. Gotta stay here till 10.20. It was painless. I didnt even notice she’d done it.

4 Likes

Yeah, similar for me too the day after the vaccine, but even today - five days later - my upper arm is still a bit sore. I’m surprised how long that’s lasted.

What’s throwing me off: this is also the week we’ve started shifting over into summer heat / sun / humidity in Taipei, with the first time turning on air conditioning at home and in classrooms and so on. Friday morning amused me: the students asked for the a/c to be turned on, and my reaction was “Oh, maybe I don’t have a post-vaccine fever! It really is hot! OK!” When this shift happens I often have a few days of feeling a touch dizzy or nauseous anyway, so I’m having moments of “Uh oh, am I still feverish from the vaccine or is it just hotter now?”

And a sudden leg cramp in bed a couple of days ago. “Oh no! Is that one of the symptoms of blood clotting?! Or, you know, just that thing that happens to me once or twice a month anyway?!” (Sustained extremity pain is a symptom. Cramps that quickly come and go don’t seem to be. I googled it, and of course briefly experienced the inevitable psychosomatic symptoms that appear whenever I and many others read those sorts of information pages.)

2 Likes

An hour and a half after the jab, zero effects. Arm doesn’t even hurt.

1 Like

Wait till tomorrow. I didn’t feel a thing either. :smiley:

3 Likes

I felt great until 10 hours after the vaccine. That’s when I started to get flu like symptoms. Today (after getting the vaccine saturday morning) I feel pretty much all better although my arm is sore and my appetite doesn’t seem normal (ie I’m not really hungry, and the smell of some foods is… very unappetizing, let’s say). does anyone else have this side effect?

3 Likes

If they offer it at every hospital, everyone can just go to their usual place instead of having to register at a new one, at least. That’s not the only part of the process with a bottleneck, though.

Yeah, very similar. Not exactly nauseous, but minimal appetite, and eating’s more of a responsibility than a pleasure - a fear that if I start to eat, I’ll feel sick, but every time I’ve eaten it’s been totally fine. Not unlike when I’ve got a cold - everything tastes somehow flat. Still a touch of that today, five days later.

Which reminds me, when I go grocery shopping in a few minutes I’d better resupply myself with ginger ale!

2 Likes

I have received my first dose a few minutes ago. The process was a little chaotic (total 2hours+) but overall okay. Recommended next shot: 6/22

4 Likes

was anyone told what to do for the 2nd jab? My card has a date --6/22. But I’ve no idea if I’m meant to book ahead or just turn up or what.

I had some moderate overall muscle aching and fatigue starting the next morning and lasting for a day or two. No nausea or loss of appetite. Three days later just mild soreness at the injection site, as with any shot.

1 Like

One person upthread apparently has an appointment already booked - I’m not sure what hospital that was at. In my case (MacKay Taipei hospital), I asked, and they said nope, you need to book it yourself later - that’s just a recommended date.

I’m not going to dig up the link now, but I did notice in some newspaper article that one of Taiwan’s AZ batches expires around June 10 - i.e. shortly before the recommended eight weeks for us. I hope this isn’t something we’re going to have to worry about.

1 Like