Spain and Italy: Limit to use in those over 60
Belgium: Use suspended in people under 56 for the next four weeks
France and Canada: Restricted to use in over-55s
Germany: Recommended only for those over 60
Sweden and Finland: Used only for over-65s
Denmark and Norway: Use suspended in all age groups until at least next week
Australia: Avoid further use on under-50s

1 Like

Those not on the priority list could be allowed to pay for a jab by late April, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) said Thursday.

3 Likes

That’s quite a range of guidelines. One senses they don’t quite know yet how to try to mitigate the (very rare) risks—estimated at being 1 in 100,000 by the EU authorities and 1 in 250,000 by the UK authorities.

Guy

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-brain/a-third-of-covid-survivors-suffer-neurological-or-mental-disorders-study-idUSKBN2BT2ZI

1 Like

Germany’s Bavaria Staat came out a few days ago stating it wants a few million doses of Russia’s sputnik vaccine, but needs EU approval, which probably won’t give it. If it’s good for the bierhausers… Mexico is satisfied with sputnik vaccine.

I mentioned the first study earlier - it’s an extraordinarily shite piece of “science”, even measured against the low bar that we’ve come to accept as normal in 2021.

As for the second one, I can’t help wondering if this just reflects the incredibly poor state of health of the general population. People, especially in the West, are weaker, sicker, more unfit, and more metabolically messed-up than at any time in human history. We’ve become the blob-creatures described in “The Machine Stops”. In parallel with that degeneration, ME/CFS diagnoses have skyrocketed over the past decade or so, and it becomes more common with age, and “long COVID” seems to be almost identical to ME/CFS. Someone needs to get to the bottom of this, because I doubt that the problem is COVID per se, but something more fundamental.

If you get nothing else, you take Sputnik. That is why Mexico is using it.

And Bavarians are stupid. I get it. Blah blah blah.

It might have escaped your attention that the EU has a huge vaccine deficit due to various political mistakes and that the governor of Bavaria is trying to become the next prime minister of Germany and therefore has to show some decisive action

2 Likes

And he’s trying to kill his voting base by using Sputnik vacinne.
Yes yes yes, understood.

How many people.will apply for those self paid ones, 100k, 500k?
I’ll apply but I’m not getting hopes up.

Around 5,000 to 10,000 doses will be reserved for those paying to receive the vaccine, he added.

Probably depends on the price. I mean they’re already charging quite a lot for a normal PCR test for COVID - so the vaccine might be really expensive if self-paid :roll_eyes:

But still hoping they will also offer the Moderna vaccine and not only the Astra Zeneca this way. Would even be willing to pay more for Moderna of Biontech…

You are more than welcome to fly to Moscow and get it there. Lots of Sputnik vaccine available there since virtually nobody in Russia wants to get vaccinated with Sputnik. The vast majority of Russians are scared of it.

But as this has nothing to do with the topic of this thread - “Coronavirus vaccine in Taiwan” - I will stop talking about Sputnik unless it relates to Taiwan

The vast majority of EVERYONE EVERYWHERE are scared of getting any vaccine.
It’s NOT country-specific.
The only ones who are dying, pardon the pun, to get any kind of COVID-19 vaccine are many forumosans herein.

How many people.will apply for those self paid ones, 100k, 500k?

Quite frankly I think the number of Taiwanese who want to get vaccinated urgently on a self-paid basis with AstraZeneca is rather small unless they have urgent travel needs

You are unfortunately really making a lot of false assertions which forces me to make one very last comment on this: Russia is the only country in the world with high covid and minimal vaccination numbers where there are huge amounts of vaccine available which nobody wants. Period.

1 Like

I’m guessing Russians are relying on the magical powers of vodka to protect them from COVID. Perhaps more effective and fewer side effects than the Sputnik vaccine?

Seriously though … I think Sputnik is quite an interesting vaccine; it appears to use a more “traditional” approach and presumably has more predictable behaviour than the mRNA types.

1 Like

Sputnik is supposed to be a decent vaccine.

1 Like

I think I would trust Sputnik over say Pfizer:

certainly over AZ.