Coronavirus Vaccine in Taiwan - July/August 2021

Mainstream thinking needs to shift from vaccines will protect us from ever getting COVID, to the vaccines will protect us from getting seriously ill or dying (in the vast majority of cases anyway). That should be the real goal in getting society back from normal. We will all get COVID in some form or another one day, vaxxed or unvaxxed. COVID is like Thanos, it’s inevitable.

7 Likes

This pandemic would probably be almost over and life around the world back to semi-normal if not for that damn Delta variant.

2 Likes

By then there would be more vaccines to choose from.

I think most do for future travels yes.

I dont think you are right at all. But you have a lot of less conventional takes and I appreciate the opportunity to take in different opinions

4 Likes

What would forumosa be like without @gain? :rofl:

Guy

3 Likes

You know we could have a DELTA outbreak next week right? The time-frame isnt 6 months. Also in 6 months the only other option we will have is the BNT vaccine

One hopes that Novavax gets approved by then and also delivered (we’re waiting for it via the much maligned COVAX program).

Guy

1 Like

I think we are unlikely to get anything from COVAX in 6 months tbh.

Was a story about Gou looking to manufacture Novavax in Taiwan in the last month, so maybe could happen that way.

It definitely is zero covid. This is what the people want and politicians are trying to deliver.
The reason I believe this is because even if there is only one case, it’s still not good enough. Just watch the FB comments during the presser. Yesterday, they were talking about adding more testing to people coming in! I had a PCR before boarding, spit test at the airport, rapid test during quarantine, and then the painful PCR at the end.
There is no plan to define or get to Level 1.
I hope I’m wrong but I planning on Taiwan being closed through next year.

3 Likes

The strategy is to keep the virus out until we have enough vaccines. We are at 3.3% double vaccinations right now and have a long way to go before it would be responsible to open things up fully.

4 Likes

That is what the government is saying at the moment. Rules will change once the general population understands that fully vaccinated people can be contagious and get very sick.
Again, no level 1 criteria has been set.

1 Like

On that note I was doing a little research. Taiwan’s Medigen is a Protein Subunit vaccine. I found this study which seems to hint that this “type” of vaccine looks to prevent transmission to the unvaccinated. I’m not say it’s a definite, but interesting read.

https://stm.sciencemag.org/content/13/606/eabg1143

1 Like

I hope you’re right. I got AZ here before anyone wanted it and then Pfizer in the US. Reading studies out of Canada and Germany, it seems this combo could be very good.
I’m pro-vaccine but based on what I know about vaccines, we won’t be immune.

3 Likes

Vaccines are basically like a raincoat on a day when it’s raining heavily.

You can still get wet but you won’t get completely soaked and have hypothermia.

The virus has gone endemic and we will deal with it basically forever now. We just need to do the best we can and get everyone vaccinated

5 Likes

Yeah. I’ll crosspost this here, definitely worth reading

3 Likes

Taiwanese travel a lot and have high levels of disposable income. In future years we will rely on domestic vaccines for boosters here. In pretty sure any country apart from China will accept Taiwan vaccines in the future.

They approve on (allow for travelers) vaccines that are approved by the WHO.

I’m going to go out on a limb, based on no inside information: the US will (if needed) eventually approve Medegin as a valid vaccine without WHO backing.

The EU, on the other hand, . . . .

Guy

I think both will

I wouldn’t get too excited, if Medigen was a game changer, they would be running to get real Phase III data so they could sell it to the world.

They aren’t, in fact they didn’t even do an immunobridging study against Moderna to see if their vaccine could out perform, one of the best vaccines currently on the market as far as efficacy, instead they went with testing against the lower bar of AZ.

1 Like