Coronavirus Vaccine in Taiwan - July/August 2021

No. I think that a reasonable person could assess their own health and weigh the risk of taking the vaccine and the risk of not taking it and come to the conclusion not to get it.

If Pfizer were approved today for under 12, for example, I would not volunteer my kids to get the vaccine. However, I signed up myself immediately and almost had to force my wife to get one, too.

3 Likes

I am shocked that many foreigners on twitter have chosen the Medigen vaccine. What if it doesn’t get approved by EU and America? Were they paid to get it?

1 Like

Is it? We don’t have reliable partners. President needs to ensure confidence in the vaccine so one with the most to lose takes it to demonstrate it’s fine to improve vaccine rates.

1 Like

Yes they will just have to accept the consolation prize of not getting COVID

5 Likes

If it works I would guess it will be approved. If it doesn’t work I guess you’re just back at square one.

1 Like

Doubt it. I suspect the best thing the Taiwanese government would be willing to offer them would be a photo op and a silly sticker emblazoned with the #TaiwanCanHelp hashtag and a cartoon animal.

Save the NT$10 off bubble tea vouchers for the citizens.

1 Like

That makes no sense. The risk of infection is practically 0 in Taiwan. People are getting vaccine to travel overseas when opportunities present themselves.

I don’t think that’s the problem here. What if it doesn’t get approved because China tries to fuck with the approval? Or if they just decide that they won’t grant more approvals because they only trust vaccines developed by white people?

1 Like

Have you considered the nature of time and the fact that the risk can change? Some people here were making the same point back in March/April, which didn’t really fare well as a prediction.

8 Likes

Yeah I guess they’re probably just not worrying about that. I wouldn’t

3 Likes

Chen concluded that given the low blood pressure and high heart rate, the three incidents were likely a case of needle phobia and not a reaction to the vaccine itself. He called on the public to try not to get too nervous because the current needles are actually very thin and the nurses are highly skilled with their injection technique.

I always feint after giving blood. I black out, and I have no needle phobias…totally different I know. lol.

1 Like

Her blood pressure was found to be 111/79, and she had a heart rate of 122 beats per minute (BPM).

His blood pressure was also approximately 111/79 with a heart rate of 122 (BPM).

That seems incredibly unlikely. Must be either bad reporting or a broken — please bear with me a moment — sphygmomanometer.

I wonder if that’s the upper limit of Taiwanese — hang on — sphygmomanometers.

The explanation is interesting though, or rather it’s interesting that the anxiety can have those effects. (I wonder whether this also happened for the other vaccines, as you’d expect, and it just went unreported.)

I remember a young healthy German friend of mine in China having some kind of scary episode at 3 a.m. in a bar, where one side of his face started drooping and twitching and he was freaking tf out. After we took him to the nearby ER and waited for him to get an MRI scan and whatever, the doctor’s broken-English diagnosis was that he’d had the problem “some Chinese girls have when they find out they’re pregnant”.

1 Like

I don’t know why this is so hard for people to grasp; risk of infection NOW goes not dictate risk of infection 6 months from now. Who knows what could happen in the future? We will likely have a Delta (or another variant) breach one day; which is why they’re racing to vax as many as they can now.

And I actually agree with your point about EUA and overseas travel FWIW, but the “risk of infection” line is short sighted.

5 Likes

How long do you think that will stay like that?

Or do you think everyone getting vaccinated is only doing it for travel?

We will have more outbreaks and we will have a Delta outbreak. You can’t just lock off borders forever

4 Likes

It’s a race against the clock. And it would nothing short of negligence for our leaders here not treating as such.

2 Likes

I think it’s great that some people are willing to try out Medigen, but I agree with Gain.

Without doing a double billing study to show effectiveness, weather against a placebo group or a different vaccine group the data is always going to be questionable and international approval is unlikely, even putting aside Chinese interference.

While not getting Covid is a bonus for sure, risk for young people especially in Taiwan is low, so it makes sense to wait for a vaccine that will be approved and will make travel in the future easier.

3 Likes

We will have preliminary phase 3 data from October to December.

For the travel thing, nobody knows. The Taiwan CDC is speaking with the US now. It could end up being accepted everywhere

What kind of data though? The only articles, I have seen about the trial said it was an immunobridging study not a double blind study.

People will get Covid even with a vaccine. They will also be contagious. My daughter is recovering now and is fully vaccinated with moderna. Taiwan wants 0 cases and no vaccine will do that.

1 Like

I think we should know by now that measures taken (including but not only vaccination) are intended to mitigate risk. Minister Chen has been very clear for a while that vaccination is part of a strategy, not the only measure needed.

On top of all this: I hope your daughter is doing OK.

Guy

5 Likes

Taiwan’s strategy isn’t zero covid.

We just don’t have enough vaccines to open things up yet.

4 Likes