Coronavirus Vaccine in Taiwan - July/August 2021

Morris Chang backs Tsai, although tries to not be explicit. I wouldnt say very Taiwanese, as because up till recently TSMC were very very invested in China.

Terry Gou has cut ties with the KMT but his business is focused on China. The worry for Tsai with Gou is that he might take another shot at running for president as an independent or another party.

I also think this narrative of Gou being blue and that being a main issue is a bit overblown here. He is first and foremost a successful businessman and I think a patriot (of ROC). He does a lot of philanthropy work in Taiwan, his foundation donated the biotechnology department and Taida and he has his own cancer research centers as well as funding the cancer research center at NTU. He just donated 20,000 Hazmat suits and Protective suits to Pingtung health services last week.
郭台銘捐1萬件防護衣、隔離衣 急送屏東抗Delta病毒 | 生活 | 三立新聞網 SETN.COM

Its more likely that he mostly wants to do philanthropy and help his country (as well as own business interests) and the political stuff is secondary. Saying that, dont really like the guy or want to work for him.

3 Likes

Doesnt TSMC have a huge Fab in Nanjing?

AZ has by far the biggest production capacity and supply worldwide. So it’s a bit simplistic to say 'quality issues '.

It’s a small fraction of overall production capacity and it’s very old tech

1 Like

Yeah I know they are very protective in China.

Yes they do. Not a high % of their capacity though, nor very advanced technology.

Pretty much had to put a fab in China, just as they will put another in Arizona soon - government pressure.
At the time TSMC talked about “tapping the engineering talent of China” and “need to be close to China customers”. Both those reasons are demonstrably excuses in my opinion.

2 Likes

Hey guys today someone asked Chen whether the BNT vaccine donations from TSMC and Foxconn will arrive in Taiwan in August or September and he said

“You asked me a very difficult to answer question, but right now this is our expectation”
“問了一個我很難回答的問題,但這是我們所期待的”

2 Likes

So it looks like a done deal. The timing may be unsure but the purchase and delivery seem to be sure, especially considering that Chen is so careful about committing to anything until it’s a sure thing. I imagine there will be come other shipments and donations in the meantime. It will be interesting to see how vaccination numbers increase in the coming days.

Also CDC working with Tzu Chi and came to agreement, they will help with the additional possible 5 million donation after the TSMC/Foxconn process completed 慈濟專案買BNT 指揮中心:溝通愉快一切順利 | 疫苗供需制度面 | 要聞 | 聯合新聞網

1 Like

Might not need donations if this happens.

1 Like

Always good to have surplus in case orders have trouble getting filled or a new variant appears that requires a third booster shot.

4 Likes

But then I’m a ‘simplistic’ person.

4 Likes
3 Likes

Freddy Lim (林昶佐) speaks:

Guy

1 Like

Well I visited my neighborhood clinic, which also happens to be giving out vaccines. Big ads, as in several, on the door, walls, windows stating : we only have AZ.

I asked the nurse how was vaccination going. So so, she replied. Oh oh.

By the way, the skin clinic next door was full again. And the air between them stank of Clorox.

It’s now been a full week since my wife received her first moderns shot. She still has a swollen bump where she got the injection, and today some additional bumps that look like allergy appeared over the original bump. She said she itched it, and the new small bumps showed up. Her temperature is also hovering just below 37.5 degrees. So, it’s not as uneventful as I’d hoped, and these side effects are lasting longer than anticipated.

2 Likes

Hope she gets better. The arm thinghy can be very uncomfortable.

Since you like charts so much, here’s an interesting one regarding the uptake of AZ vs Moderna.

From here

2 Likes

How are they administrating more shots than allocated??? Magic?

1 Like

Beats me.

Reserves? Loans from other areas?

I do understand some shots are from CECC’s reserve for priority groups.