Coronavirus Vaccine in Taiwan - July/August 2021

Maybe we’re using more conservative estimates.

• The Moderna COVID-19 Vaccine is supplied in two multiple-dose vial presentations:
    • A multiple-dose vial containing a maximum of 11 doses: range 10-11 doses (0.5 mL each).
    • A multiple-dose vial containing a maximum of 15 doses: range 13-15 doses (0.5 mL each).

AZ is similar except the min number of doses is guaranteed.

1 Like

My special other will be modernized today. Hopefully without much discomfort.

:prayer_beads:

1 Like

Please Mr Bear, this is an ALL AGE forum.

Anyone with a cursor and mouse can see those are “prayer beads”!

Guy

館長 (Holger Chen) gave a good rant on domestic vaccines. He said he wants to be the first in line to get the domestic vaccines. The reason is because many people are vaccine-hesitant or want to wait until they get their favourite brand, and he wants to show them that everyone needs to get vaccinated as soon as possible.

2 Likes

Plus Taiwan vaccines will make you immune to bullets.

PS why does he call himself 館長?

Prayer Beads for sure, so he can pray that his SO doesnt fall ill after the shot as the anti vaxxers suggest.

Because he is the “gym boss” of his gyms.

Fan of him tbh, really liked it when he did the anti-China media infiltration rally. He has helped the average working class Taiwanese to have a political identity and some national pride. Also helped people to start respecting the military services again.

3 Likes

I keep looking for info. about signing up or registering for the vaccine since I’m in level 7/8? As a high school teacher, but can’t find much. I perused last months thread without success. Does anyone have info on how to sign up for future vaccines or leftovers? Thanks ahead.

Its really a case of waiting until your Level is open, then the bookings open up for that group. So if you are Level 8 and aged 72 or older, check out your local hospital. I will try and remember you when the Level 8 ages lower, as I am 68 and just waiting for it too, which could well be within the next week or so.

https://www.ft.com/content/42d34771-a7b3-4c92-a22c-6557b3448d49#comments-anchor
# Insider trading probe into Taiwan vaccine maker uncovers wider issues

President Tsai-ing Wen’s administration under scrutiny after the country’s financial oversight is questioned

An insider trading probe into a Taiwanese maker of Covid-19 vaccines has raised wider concerns over financial oversight in the country and entangled the administration of President Tsai-ing Wen. The Taipei-based prosecuting office for Shilin District told the Financial Times that it is investigating Medigen Vaccine Biologics Corporation after the company’s shares leapt more than 20 per cent in the days before it announced positive results for its vaccine’s phase 2 clinical trials in June. The prosecutor declined to provide further details on the investigation. Last month, Tsai gave a televised address in which she rejected accusations from political opponents that her government had blocked imports of vaccines to boost Medigen’s stock price. The probe opens up another front through which Tsai’s political rivals can attack the president as she attempts to fend off external pressure from China Only 8.2 per cent of Taiwan’s population has received their first jab, and the government has agreed to purchase 5m vaccines from Medigen in a bid to resolve a shortage that Taipei has partially blamed on China blocking its purchases of foreign-made doses. “We have done an internal investigation, and there is no evidence of the government or its employees speculating [on] the stock,” Tsai said during her address. Taiwan’s finance ministry later said none of the government’s eight state-backed banks had bought Medigen stock before the sudden jump. Tsai has urged citizens to be wary of fake news on the vaccination campaign, which has proliferated in Taiwanese media as the country entered into a soft lockdown due to a domestic outbreak in early May. But the probe has cast a light on the prevalence of stock manipulation in Taiwan, where financial regulators often lack the legal authority necessary to crack down. “The Medigen case is highly political,” said Wang Wen-Yeu, a professor of capital markets law at National Taiwan University. “But the practice of insider trading is rampant in Taiwan.” Wang pointed to a high-profile case involving Ko Wen-chang, a former chair of Hewlett-Packard Taiwan. Ko was sentenced in 2015 to nine years in prison after purchasing stock in a Taiwanese company that he knew would be acquired by a larger US group. Lin Shu-Yu, an analyst at brokerage CLSA, added that “everyone in the financial industry knows that insider trading and stock manipulation is a problem”. She said for small listed companies it is common for employees, financial intermediaries and journalists to buy stocks with brokerage accounts of extended family and friends prior to the release of positive financial results. “The public doesn’t have much confidence in the government’s ability to control this sector,” Lin added. Part of the problem also stems from the fact that Taiwan’s Financial Supervisory Commission does not have jurisdiction over insider trading cases, lawyers argue. Instead, the cases fall to local prosecutors “who lack the financial background to prosecute successfully”, said Wang. Wu Huan-Ting, an attorney at California-based Nolan Barton and Olmos points out that the conviction rate for insider trading is less than 40 per cent. Recommended Global InsightKathrin Hille Taiwan needs to switch gears to fight first major Covid outbreak Officials argue that Taiwan’s approach simply requires a higher burden of proof. “There are some problems with insider trading in Taiwan, but I do not think it is especially severe compared to other countries,” said Cindy Chang, chair of the government’s Securities and Futures Investors Protection Centre. Some highlight the contrast between Taiwan’s finance industry and its cutting-edge tech companies, which dominate in semiconductors. “Taiwan’s financial markets have a long way to go,” said Wang, the law professor. “They are lagging behind the high-tech sector — it has to do with a lack of discipline.” Medigen did not respond to a request for comment.

Not the first time that questions have been asked around a biotech stock in Taiwan. They are notorious for this…When I worked for one…Which shall remain nameless (:joy:)…We would get about ten calls a day from randomers who would ask us for news about this or that clinical trial.

They would literally randomly call the phones…

Yes and Tsai’s brother owns biotech company. But who knows? Taiwan definitely has a problem with insider trading and government corruption

1 Like

Thank you!

I was just wondering about the Taiwanese vaccines - haven’t heard anything about them for a bit. I assume those 10 million doses are still on track to arrive in July, yeah?

Maybe the second half of the month…? :shushing_face:

Absolutely no surprise from me. Tsai herself is the founder of TaiMed Biologics.

The ties are deep and strong between her govt. and TW’s biotech industry.

1 Like

They were never supposed to arrive in July, they were supposed to be ready in July, as in ready and approved for use. Still have to make them.

Anyway, Tsai already said she only originally hoped for July, so take that as mean going to take a lot longer.

Here may be the thread you need to keep checking.

2 Likes

Of course they were never going to be ready by July. But I don’t think that’s how it was reported at the time?

Focus Taiwan, June 3:

The government had already placed orders for 5 million doses of vaccines from each of the two Taiwanese vaccine makers, with President Tsai Ing-wen saying they would be available in July.

Taiwan News, May 14:

TAIPEI (Taiwan News) — Taiwan President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) announced Thursday (May 14) that Taiwan’s domestically developed vaccines should be available in July.

At a press conference held after a national security meeting on Thursday, Tsai announced the research and development of Taiwan’s domestic vaccines have entered the final stages of their phase II trials. She stated that the “first wave” of domestic vaccines is expected to be available to the public by late July.

In any case, using descriptions like “ready in July” and “available in July” to mean “hastily approved but we still need to make them” isn’t really what those words mean in English. Look, here’s a cake for you - it’s “ready”.

IMG_20210702_115756

3 Likes

Ready in July meant that they would be approved. “Available to the public” meant that a small amount of doses(first does) would ready at that time. They actual ETA for the 5 million to be “ready” has always been late August/Early September.

But anyway, Tsai already said that she never said that they would be “Ready”, she just said she ‘hoped’ them to be.

*Oh i guess you were agreeing. “Ready in July” was just politician bullshit to cover up “we are potentially fucked and we have no fucking vaccines and I fucked everything up, oh fuck oh fuck”

Yes, I was agreeing. I never expected them to be ready so soon of course…I was just commenting on the fact that the discussion of the timeline for the domestic vaccines seems to have gone rather quiet of late.