Coronavirus Vaccine in Taiwan - May/June 2021

I think the problem is that the communication is not very clear and they are not consistent. One day they say one thing and the next day they change it.

3 Likes

Have you followed messaging in other countries?

Taiwan’s authorities, despite their by now well-known flaws, have been magnificent in this regard. One guy, every day at 2:00 pm, telling us what’s going on.

Sometimes I wonder what you guys are expecting . . .

Guy

11 Likes

I think even if you have a date set, you still need to phone and book it. My booklet says 22nd, but I don’t think you can just turn up on that day and get it. You’ve gotta phone first and book a 2nd appointment.

2 Likes

Yep, because if that date is not convenient for you, you can pick another, like any other medical appointment.

In other countries, when your group comes up, they also tell you to make an appointment at your convenience or show up at any location if your choice. At least in the old country they do.

Yeah the government have been fine in this regard. A lot of the rules have been clear enough, especially when compared to other places. I wouldn’t say magnificent though, but decent. Remember UK had daily thing as well last year, before people got bored.

2 Likes

or bojo-ed…

1 Like

This doesn’t apply for some people, including me and some other friends, who got the earlier self-paid appointments because the hospital didn’t actually book the second appointment, they just wrote in the suggested date on the vaccine card.

Now that mass vaccination centres separate from hospitals are being opened, the location and procedures for 2nd jabs may well be different We just have to wait and see what the arrangements are.

There have also been discussions about the ideal interval between 1st and 2nd doses being 10 to 12 weeks, but even up to 16 weeks is still OK, so that may indicate that 2nd dose appointments will take this timing into account, instead of the original 8 week gap.

1 Like

:wall:

Again, refer to my previous post.

Look, there is going to be a new vaccination system in place. Your vaccine is already counted in and accounted for. The CECC will specify any changes if there are any. Have they said anything about this? Not yet. They just told everyone yes, we have your second dose on the pipeline. They couldn’t tell you that before because they did not have the doses on hand. Now that they are sure, they will enact the plans to deliver vaccines faster and more efficiently yet safer.

In summary, patience. They have the goods, wait for delivery as there are many other orders ahead.

I wasn’t disagreeing with you.

My comment was primarily aimed at those people who dont have 2nd appointments already booked in the hospital’s system. The hospital may not be contacting you directly in that case, so it’s wise to keep a close eye on future announcements in case you need to proactively take action, rather than just assuming you will be contacted directly.

People who don’t have an NIH card should be especially vigilant as, in this case, I don’t think there is any central record that you received the first dose (though it presumably would have an entry on the hospital’s own billing system).

Anyway I’m sure there will be plenty of posts on here about the new arrangements, once they are announced.

3 Likes

This date is when 8 weeks have passed after first shot. They recommend to get the second shot between 8 and 12 weeks. You still have plenty of time to schedule the second shot. It depends on how long you want to wait.

3 Likes

I wonder why 8 weeks. Perhaps it is a limitation of the doses available instead of a medically based approach? Ontario recommends 4-12 weeks. https://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/pro/programs/publichealth/coronavirus/docs/vaccine/COVID-19_AstraZeneca_Vaccine_admin.pdf

From that apple daily article:

莊人祥表示,AZ疫苗兩劑建議間隔8~12周,若第二劑在第7周就接種,可能效果沒那麼好,根據研究,超過12周打第二劑反而效果更好。

1 Like
2 Likes

Damn you Biden and your commitment to multilateral institutions like the WHO and COVAX.

You could have just sent the damn things directly like Japan did!

Guy

2 Likes

I think @Icon mentioned this company a few days ago from a bunch of Tweets about local makers hooking up with U.S. firms.

That COVAXX company has some (cough cough) unusual backers.
Aside from the founder of the mercenary company, it’s got Tony Robbins to cheerlead it forward.
Should be hooking up with
聯亞藥業股份有限公司 UBI Pharma, which apparently saw their listing on emerging market board “ended” last year due some sort of scandal (stock code was 6562).
But, it’s got a “grand plan” according to local press.

1 Like

This is extremely frustrating. I was feeling optimistic and even pushing back against those who were pessimistic about the rollout, but maybe they were right to be. I’ll give Taiwan until the end of the year to get their shit together, but if I don’t have my shot by then I might fly out to get one.

1 Like

Don’t get discouraged.

This just seems to be COVAX being COVAX.

It is disappointing though that the US did not elect to take a more direct route to getting this done.

Guy

1 Like

Hope we come to realize that the only reliable way to get vaccines is to have a vaccine plant within your territory. Cause for the vaccine markets to really open, and for delivery to really be happening, it is going to take time.

Do you think this is just routine bureaucracy or do you think this is pressure from our haters to the west?

The former.

Guy

1 Like