Coronavirus Vaccine in Taiwan - May/June 2021

COVAX just doesn’t seem to be doing that well: my impression is there simply aren’t the doses available, partly because India is - understandably - directing a lot of their production to domestic use.

I don’t know anything about the reliability of the source below; it was just an early search result.

2 Likes

Magnificent ?
They have changed the priority listing how many times already ?
Also they should have told us we could get the second dose earlier. Many of us have overdue appointments according to the hospital schedule already.

I had no idea if myself and the wife could get a second dose until yesterday. They just wouldn’t reply to any inquiries .

I’d say that are doing a fairly reasonable job overall .

Although meeting minutes going missing…Doesn’t sound reasonable.

1 Like

yes thats why should have looked at manufacturing overseas vaccines earlier

2 Likes

Yeah COVAX is kinda bust right now because of India. They are so behind

3 Likes

Makes sense but then they would have to pay licensing fees and share the profits. $$$
Typical Taiwan way is to do it yourself (three different groups ) and share as little as possible.

I have no problem with domestic manufacture, it’s a good idea but needed to have reasonable expectations behind it.

2 Likes

Hey, there’ll soon be COVAXX.
Nahhhh… not a coincidence they thought that name up.

1 Like

Did you follow the US at all in 2020? At the state, federal and local levels, there were daily briefings too. Remember Cuomo?

OEM/ODM 代工 is kinda Taiwan’s speciality though right?

Yeah domestic manufacture is essential for Taiwan. Especially with the variants and its a good chance for Taiwan to be more self-reliant in future. It shouldnt have been the main option though

2 Likes

Yup.

Foxconn, Pegatron, etc…

Taiwanese companies made similar protein subunit vaccines before so of course they could make a SARS one, I just suspect collusion with commercial interests so that a huge part of the vaccine plan was allocated to local manufacture .

2 Likes

But you need to have them to give them for ‘FREE’!

3 Likes

Do expect even further delays for AZ. Not only does AZ have the worst track record regarding delivery times overall, but these vaccines moreover are due to come from a new factory in Thailand from a company which has never produced any vaccines and the only qualifications of which are that it is owned by the king of Thailand. You can read in Thai media how angry people there are about this

2 Likes

At this moment I’m more hopeful that Japan will send another batch before anything from COVAX arrives…

Yeah, it sounded like Japan might do multiple shipments. If we get several million here it’ll make a difference, especially for medical/bureacracy/education.

Does it have the worst track record? The UK seems to be getting theirs. They are vaccinating 20 year olds now.

Why can’t the local companies here make AZ under license?

Why didn’t the government try that?

Apologies, to avoid unnecessary provocations I did not add “unless you are the UK”. Whenever there are problems with vaccine production in the UK, AZ just takes vaccines from other countries meant for other markets and ships them to the UK

That would have been the better option, if we spread bets like all similar economies as well as securing enough in international orders for all the population. The vaccine procurement is the single worst part of Taiwan’s vaccine response over the last two years.

The why is perplexing and annoying. Read my post above with analysis from BNext

1 Like

So who does have the rights to produce AZ for Taiwan?

Could they still get them?

Apparently there are discussions to have Moderna or BNT made in Taiwan.

Hopefully once the Uk is vaccinated, there will be more AZ going about? One more month, should do it.

2 Likes