Coronavirus Vaccine in Taiwan - May/June 2021

Looking forward to the reservation system developed by Audrey Tang

4 Likes

“They will announce it once the vaccines are ready” I believe is the more accurate thing to say.

2 Likes

Taiwan had discussions with AZ last year to be a contract manufacturer for the vaccine.
Two reasons given by Chen that didnt happen:

1. AZ wanted them to manufacture 300 million doses, which they thought was challenging
  2. “Someone else wasnt happy”

Im guessing that the first reason was the main one though.

Got to feel if they would have either of purchased the BNT or AZ last year, we wouldnt be in this situation. At the end of this, there should be discussions

1 Like

You can figure out a scenario where EMA approves a Taiwanese vaccine before WHO does?

i

2 Likes

well said

4 Likes

Highly unlikely

在免疫生成性部分,不區分年齡組情況下,疫苗組在施打第二劑後28天的血清陽轉率(seroconversion rate)達99.8%;中和抗體之幾何平均效價(GMT titer)為662,GMT倍率比值為163倍增加。而20~64歲之疫苗組,血清陽轉率則為99.9%,中和抗體幾何平均效價(GMT titer)為733,GMT倍率比值為180倍增加。

Numbers seem statistically significant. One Taiwan-made vaccine has passed double-blind tests in Phase II.

Great news! I would get this one.

1 Like

Context please?

Guy

I’m watching the press conference, that was a number that the guy had on a bit of card. I have no idea what is going on.

1 Like

The numbers are reported in the press conference to reveal the clinical test results for the vaccine made by Medigen, which received key techniques from US NIH.

EDITED: OK, got it.

Guy

I am lack of relevant knowledge in virology to know what those numbers mean scientifically.

You are not alone. :slightly_smiling_face:

Guy

Hopefully it can get international certification soon.

I think efficacy / safety is the first issue.

Then (if things are looking good) mass production and distribution.

Certification won’t help if the other steps aren’t successful.

Guy

The next main obstacle is for that vaccine to get approval in Europe so anyone that has this one is ok for EU trip.

The numbers look better than AZ. It is based basically on the same technique used by Norvavax. I am not an expert, but I trust this kind of technology more.

They are already mentioning problems getting access to the raw materials for the vaccines. I hope Taiwan didn’t make a bad gamble.

You can catch the virus, get sick but won’t die.