Coronavirus Vaccine in Taiwan - May/June 2021

Let then scientifically demonstrate that first, and get the authorizations in a context where there is no emergency, will you!

This is better than nothing, but it does not really say anything about the results of phase 3 and the efficacy / efficiency of the vaccine in preventing infection / severe disease / death. More than 50% of vaccines fail in phase 3. And of course all these also had positive results before in phase 2 because otherwise the company would not have spent the money on doing a phase 3 trial which is extremely costly

2 Likes

im cautious too, but why does the gov feel so confident so early on to just get this approved asap using a process of approving vaccines such as immunobridging that is not used anywhere else. surely, they feel it’s going to be good.

Or they are trying to avoid panic/backlash for their horrible planning.

3 Likes

1 Like

I see you’ve now moved away from your incorrect belief that mRNA vaccines don’t have a speed advantage.

So now are you actually suggesting that mRNA vaccines are not able to compete without EUAs? If so, you should be aware that BnT and Moderna will almost certainly be the first vaccines to be granted full approval by the FDA.

Meanwhile, Medigen licensed the spike protein for its vaccine in May 2020 and over a year later we don’t even have a Phase III trial.

Anyway, I don’t know what you have against mRNA. It’s one technology that offers many benefits. COVID was its breaking out party and the world is better off for it.

And that is also relevant to people with immune conditions or other issues: the benefits outweigh the problems, as any expected problems can be treated, not such luck if you get COVID.

In our family we have diabetic, asthmatics, immune conditions, allergic to everything under the sun, mostly red haired. So far, we have been shot with Pfizer, AZ and J&J. Only complaint has been arm pain.

2 Likes

They don’t have a lot of other options.

Hoping this is just some political spinning…or plan B…If they manage to get a few million doses of other vaccines as they have ordered and to innoculate at-risk people, they can afford to wait a few months for partial stage 3 results.

1 Like

I’m not sure if this is something any country should really be proud to announce?

1 Like

Check the Brexit thread :wink:

Yes, rather odd, unless the translation caused the contradiction.

July, in India for phrase 3. So what does that mean about production time. September ? :roll_eyes:

I just read that universities in the USA are requiring students get jabs for covid. They don’t count AZ as vaccines allowed.

1 Like

Taiwanese sure like FUD.

https://www.studenthealth.ucla.edu/file/fbf6ef98-ee64-4355-a826-7dec3a1c23b2

4. Will the University accept internationally approved vaccines even if not authorized or
approved in the United States?
Yes, if the vaccine authorized by the World Health Organization (WHO). The World Health Organization (WHO) has developed a process for assessing and listing unlicensed vaccines, therapeutics, and diagnostics during a public health emergencies. Through that process, a number of vaccines not available in the United States have received Emergency Use Listing (EUL). A document summarizing the status of a wide range of international vaccines can be found online on the WHO’s website. If the mandate is adopted, the University will, consistent with CDC and CDPH guidance, accept proof of vaccination with any international vaccine that has been authorized for emergency use by WHO through the EUL process. People who have completed a COVID-19 vaccination series with one of these vaccines do not need additional doses with an FDA-licensed or -authorized COVID-19 vaccine, at least initially (but may be subject to subsequent booster requirements).

AZ is on the list. :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

This was posted at my building this weekend. From my minimal reading ability I gather that it’s a schedule by neighborhood for vaccinations of people 85 or older. Did I understand it correctly?

2 Likes

So this article is what you could call fake news.

You’re correct.

UCLA might have set/revised its vaccine requirements recently. A lot of universities are still figuring this out - my daughter’s university just announced a similar requirement and clarified the WHO vaccine list in the past week.