Coronavirus Vaccine in Taiwan - May/June 2021

The website Chief referred you to earlier has an option for 1st or 2nd dose, all the appointments are taken now so no longer selectable.

Ironically enough I had just started my 30 minute rest when the news broke about all the new local casesā€¦glad I didnā€™t stay in the designated ā€œrest areaā€ and went to a different part of the building (that was still nearby) to sit down with no one close to me.

Was talking about the new cases with some local friends and they are all talking about how afraid they are. I suggested that the vaccine is available and some slots may still be open and if not further shipments would be coming soon anyways.

Even though they seem to be deathly afraid of Covid they seem even more afraid of the vaccine. At this point it feels like talking with anti-vaxers.

8 Likes

Oh yeah, Iā€™d seen that for Far Eastern too actually - Iā€™d just forgotten. I didnā€™t see that option on Mackay or NTUH (where Iā€™m going) though.

If theyā€™re smart about the design of the system, it should check your ID number against a database and automatically note that youā€™ve already received your first shot.

But I have no idea how it will work. I know some people who received their vaccinations before I did and Iā€™ll ask them when their 6-week mark arrives.

2 Likes

My second vaccination date is pencilled on the card as June 16 (but I need to make the booking myself) - and since I got the shot on the first day possible, I guess everyone else in this the thread is the same or later. Definitely curious whatā€™s going to be available at that time! (I received pretty much zero instruction for how the second shot will work, beyond being told Iā€™d make the appointment myself - this was at MacKay downtown.)

I can certainly envision myself trying to book on June 2 or so, seeing slots available through to June 15, and then nothing available on June 16 - because the batch has expired, and no new batches yet. And, yup, Iā€™ll try to go for that June 15. Oh no! One day early!

Mine is for June 18, but if I can, Iā€™d like to wait an extra month as itā€™s been proven the AZ vaccine is more effective at 12 weeks instead of 8.

6 Likes

I think there have been studies that the AZ vaccine is even more effective if you wait 12 weeks between doses. So we could potentially go until the middle of July if needed. Iā€™m not going to worry about it yet.

2 Likes

In other circumstances, Iā€™d agree, but my main reason for rushing to get this is hope of getting to Vancouver in July or August. (Plus mild concern over just how available the AZ is going to be for the second dose.) If itā€™s clear by early June that Iā€™m once again stuck here for the summer, then yeah, Iā€™ll probably wait a few more weeks.

Definitely agree that we shouldnā€™t worry about it yet! But in my case if I get to Canada, itā€™ll probably be a last-minute decision based on changes in quarantine regulations in Canada and/or Taiwan, so I hope to count as fully vaccinated ASAP.

Oh, yes, I agree. I really want to go see my mom in the USA. If I could go for a few weeks in July before I have to come back for my job that would be ideal. Iā€™ve pretty much given up on the hope, but there is a small glimmer of possibility. I really hope it works out for both of us!

1 Like

Did anyone manage to book a spot yesterday or today for the first dose? I tried a few hospitals in Taipei but they seem all full. Iā€™m not proud of it, but the recent new cases scared me into finally deciding to get the vaccine :grimacing: and apparently, Iā€™m not the only one :grimacing: :grimacing:

1 Like

Been about 9ish hours since Iā€™ve got my shot. So far still feeling great. Only thing is a very slight feeling at the injection site but honestly if Iā€™m doing anything I canā€™t even tell itā€™s there unless I REALLY REALLY focus on it. Iā€™ve been staying pretty well hydrated and just going to try and get a good nightā€™s sleep later.

Feel glad about getting my shot, especially with the news today and seeing people still going around crowded areas without a mask on and coughing or on the bus without a mask or on their chin. Canā€™t wait to hit the ~12 day mark and get some partial immunity to have a little more peace of mind.

EDIT: Middle of the night update. Slept about 3 ish hours and woke up due to being too hot (no sweating). Prior to sleep start feeling pretty mild flu like symptons setting in (not that bad just feeling a tad tired but again I didnā€™t sleep properly the day before). Just got up to let myself and my room cooldown a bit and feel pretty good with that power nap. Currently hydrating and will go back to bed soon.

Hope my experience is helpful for what to expect, but again your mileage may vary, so hang in there everyone and take it easy and get a good rest :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

I had my first shot on Friday. Saturday I was under the weather (slightly feverish, fatigued, muscle achy, woozy, and headachy), Sunday I was fine but slept like a log for hours on end; Monday and Tuesday feeling right as rain. The only symptom left over is a slight pain in the injection site if I push hard on it.

5 Likes

I registered yesterday for next Friday at a hospital in Keelung (thought correctly it would be easier to book than a hospital in Taipei). I was thinking of changing the date. I checked the system this morning and there are no empty slots for the next few weeks (as far as the system goes)! Just yesterday, registering for next Monday less than a week forward was no problem. I guess Iā€™ll keep original appointment.

5 Likes

Another one touching himself!!!

2 Likes

Like @lunlan I too had my first dose yesterday. This morning I woke up with a headache, but that happens sometimes with me so I have no idea if itā€™s related to the shot. I donā€™t feel feverish but I do feel tired and a bit disoriented, like the feeling I get when Iā€™m just about to get sick. No pain at injection site. So far everything is pretty good!

6 Likes

At least nobody is jumping back and kissing himself.

1 Like

Just a day later update. After getting some admittedly poor sleep Iā€™m still feeling much better. Still feel a slight headache (but I think this isnā€™t related to the vaccine in my case). Do feel a lack of energy and have to kind of force myself to speak up when talking. Besides that just some general soreness/tired feelings. Feel like I should be okay to go about my day without any issues, but just going to focsus on keeping myself calm and relaxed.

On a side note, yesterday when I got my shot, they were doing 3 people at a time in a single room and one of the girls getting her shot at the same time was really scared of the needle. She even started panicking because she thought the needle was in her armā€¦the nurse hadnā€™t even started yet. But in all seriousness I have to admit, takes guts to face your fears like that and itā€™s good that she can put herself at ease knowing she got through it okay. Her friend was giving her some crap for it but all in good fun!

Now what Iā€™m wondering is does Taiwan have any mass-vaccination plans, such as using public facilities (such as the sports arenas) as mass vaccination sites so social distancing can be maintained while still vaccinating a large amount of people? They canā€™t keep cramming people shoulder to shoulder in the hospitalā€¦

4 Likes

Big thanks to those who share their experience of getting vaccine shot. I myself just booked a shot next month. Looking around, people seem to have so much fear of the vaccine, it even looks quite strange to me. I live neat äø‰ēø½ and know some doctors and nerses. Almost all of them are quite reluctant of taking a shot out of fear. Anyhow, I will get vaccinated next month, and see what will happen. But I am almost certain that nothing is going to happenā€¦

1 Like

This is concerning as AZ is pretty much all we have.

1 Like

You scare me.