Coronavirus Vaccine in Taiwan - May/June 2021

Given the way she is breaking news on this site, I’m inclined to agree. :rofl:

Guy

1 Like

Its a good thing that Industry and international friends are helping out. Its also a shitshow and an embarrassment.

For me its ok for government to make mistakes, but they need to be highlighted and rectified. There needs to be an inquiry when things are over about how we ended in this situation. Not just “everything is ok now la, 別想了太多”.

From what people told me, its endemic systematic problems in the Taiwanese civil service and just general the general civil wars and infighting that you see in every Taiwanese company and organization. Taiwanese civil servants work on the principal of “the less you do, the less mistakes you make”, meaning nobody wants to take risks, be blamed for overspending and will just push responsibility elsewhere.

An underappreciated aspect of the Tsai administration is the way it can keep mouths shut. Tsai doesn’t go around boasting about this and that. Instead there’s quiet negotiations and planning going on behind the scenes.

I say this after having lived through the Chen and Ma presidencies. If it was the former, he’d be holding mass rallies across the nation to energize his base. It if was the latter, I suspect we’d be getting shipments of Sinopharm straight from Beijing. :upside_down_face:

Guy

5 Likes

nah, she just plastered taiwan can help all over new york city.

5 Likes

Ok disagree there. They have been doing a PR job on every talk and every shipment that have come in. Its been PR overload for 2 years now.

There is obvious infighting in the DPP and lots breaking ranks and party members going to the media in the last few weeks.

The negotiation shouldn’t have been so quiet, it should have been made clear to people that there was an issue before the outbreak. T

This is exactly my point. They keep quiet until it’s done. I presume this is to minimize potential mischief from you-know-who.

And from my perspective (and having seen how Chen and Ma handled things), I think this is an underappreciated skill.

Guy

3 Likes

Very pissed.off but also at the treatment of migrants specufically and foreigners generally.

You want vaccines you want workers , but you treat foreigners like shit.

6 Likes

Did you know that some Taiwanese on.low incomes got sent 15 000 NTD Covid relief today.(maybe 12 000 will need to ask again), but foreign workers got zero.

2 Likes

take it in the ass as we take your vaccine donations and give you americans 0.0%

2 Likes

This is the vaccine thread.

If you want to comment on disciminatory distribution of vaccines in Taiwan, this could be your place.

Otherwise maybe not.

Guy

1 Like

It was a reply to treatment of foreigners, so maybe you can remove both posts, to be less discriminatory😉

3 Likes

Some positive developments happening people.

Keep your eyes on the prize!

Guy

1 Like

Cheer us up then, what is the positive. As they took my self paid vaccine away 5 days prior to my appointment and gave it to someone else, who did not want it before.

2 Likes

OK, let me try. :slightly_smiling_face:

Minister Chen clarified today that YES your second dose is coming. (details as per WilliamYang120 's twitter feed). So hang tight, it’s coming.

And: the US, after pledging 750,000 vaccines to help us out, and after initially signalling that it would donate these vaccines via COVAX (i.e. sloooooow), has sharpened its approach by sending these vaccines direct (they are scheduled to arrive tomorrow) AND increasing the numbers to 2.5 million.

I hope this update cheers you up.

We’ll get out of this!

Guy

6 Likes

I may be getting ahead of things, but I think it was @OrangeOrganics who noticed Frank Hsieh (our de facto ambassador in Japan) posting some no-comment photo on social media of another Japan Airlines flight apparently getting loaded up at Narita. Perhaps headed to Vietnam? In any case, the recent jumping into action of Japan is something to be welcomed and a plus for the neighbourhood.

Guy

1 Like

Tbh the Delta variant makes vaccination seem pointless.

1 Like

It’s not clear Crusher got the first dose.

1 Like

Two doses gives good protection.

2 Likes

Right!

In that case, he’s in the queue, along with everyone else (me included).

Guy

1 Like

Confirmation on the increased donation

https://nationalpost.com/pmn/health-pmn/u-s-triples-vaccines-for-taiwan-with-2-5-million-dose-shipment

4 Likes