Coronavirus Vaccine in Taiwan - May/June 2021

Just randomly throwing in an extra “3” does change the meaning a bit, doesn’t it.

Guy

What’s an extra zero? It’s just zero.

Maybe they’ll ship them to cover up the VOA’s mistake.

1 Like

Is this really a screenshot of an excel spreadsheet?

2 Likes

Will the Taiwan domestic vaccine be accepted as valid for entry in Europe and in the rest of the world ? That’s the question.

2 Likes

I would assume it will not be accepted until it’s on the WHO list and I don’t see how it will make it onto the WHO list before there’s real-world efficacy data (Phase III trial). Especially since WHO is China’s bitch.

1 Like

If Philippines can do big deals, why can’t TW? Moderna and BnT are the 2 most effective vaccines and TW has already ordered Moderna. Moderna is an American company. Why not place an order for 20 million more Moderna?

1 Like

Btn → Philippine is not in “greater China”
Moderna → not the topic of the article above, 2 millions arrived today and Taiwan have ordered a few millions already.

Why do you guys again and again take any news as an excuse to go after Taiwan government?

4 Likes

The doses that arrived today were a generous donation from the US.

The Philippines order shows that it’s not too late for TW to be bigger and bolder in ordering vaccine instead of betting the bank on domestic vaccines that haven’t even gone through a Phase III trial.

Maybe because the government deserves criticism?

4 Likes

Taiwan cannot order directly from btn like the Philippines and you know that very well, they are currently looking at alternative ways. And they are actively looking at bringing vaccines to the island.

So what? Still have ~5 million outstanding.
The fact is Taiwan has received 2.5 million+ Moderna doses already, how many have the Philippines received: zero. btw, I think both countries should be receiving the vaccines that they ordered.

It also deserves applause when it actually gets doses of Moderna into the island. Cause there is actually diplomacy behind it.
And what you do, minimizing it…sad.

1 Like

taiwan had a chance to produce az i believe, but declined. anyway, what is done is done. Too cheap to do it. Now lets hope the domestic vaccines are effective.

1 Like

BnT is not the only game in town. Moderna is an American company. J&J is an American company. Novavax is an American company.

BnT is a red herring designed to deflect blame.

And the criticism is that they should have done this with urgency before there was an outbreak.

As of yesterday, and again, that was a bail out from Uncle Sam. But the point is that instead of ordering small, TW should have done what other countries did and ordered big. Better to be in the queue waiting for 20 million doses than 5 million doses.

You should hear what my Taiwanese friends and colleagues are saying. They’re embarrassed by the government and the fact that their country has been turned into a beggar state on the world stage. The words that you’ll read from expats here don’t begin to approximate how, apparently, many Taiwanese feel about what happened.

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/WilliamYang120/status/1406495672732323841

We were not discussing past orders, but new orders. Your initial questions: “If Philippines can do big deals, why can’t TW?” and “Why not place an order for 20 million more Moderna?”.

Not my experience. There are different points of view in Taiwan as there is on Forumosa. You can be critical but not thinking that “[your] country has been turned into a beggar state”, seriously.

I made the point that other countries are still placing large orders for vaccines (and doing deals to manufacture them) and TW should be doing the same. You turned it into a discussion about the BnT history.

Re: Novavax, I don’t even know what “registered to get” means. Has TW placed an order or not? India, US, UK, Canada, Australia and China have already placed orders.

Of course, there are different points of view among Taiwanese. But do you know any Taiwanese who think the government has done a good job with this outbreak and procuring vaccines? Because if you claim the prevailing sentiment among your Taiwanese friends is positive I call BS.

Have you not been paying attention? TW is literally scrounging for any vaccine it can get. We’re talking about a rich country that went from “TW can help” to “help TW!!”

Story you posted is about BnT, and Taiwan cannot order BnT like the Philippines so Taiwan cannot proceed like the Philippines in this case. For the others CDC is mentioning everyday that they are working on procuring more vaccines so “they are doing the same”, just not with BtN. Those processes take time.

Registered means that they are on the case. Process is secret so no need to make assumptions. There was a question and CDC answered indicating that they are on the case.

Not what I said, I said you can be critical without thinking that your country is a beggar country. There are some smart people that are able to understand the benefit of hindsight.

Getting help from friends does not make you a beggar. No point in being too proud when you help a friend or feeling bad when you are on the receiving end of help.

Stop being obtuse. The point is that countries are still placing large orders from international vaccine makers. Even if BnT isn’t available (and we’ll see about that), what’s the excuse for Moderna, AZ, J&J, Novavax?

SK for example is doing deals with Moderna and Novavax.

1 Like

Manufacturing is not the same thing, a bit more complicated. There was a story about producing 300 million AZ that was too big for Taiwan. Didn’t hear anything about the possibility of manufacturing Moderna or Novavax in Taiwan, but maybe some journalist asked CDC the question.

No excuse they are on the case of procuring more vaccines, that what CDC mentions daily. The fact that you don’t see deals announced does not mean that they are not working on it.

2 Likes

Given their track record …That means 'they’ve changed '.
Because before it was WYSIWYG…It looks like they aren’t too arsed about buying vaccines and testIbg people…And …We were right. Now we get to enjoy a miserable half year.

2 Likes