Coronavirus Vaccine in Taiwan - May/June 2021

Data for weekend is combined.

Sundays are reported.

They gotta put it somewhere :man_shrugging:

If you donā€™t believe me go check the files out on monday afternoon, it will say ā€œpeople vaccinated 26-27th Juneā€.

Yeah, I was quite surprised that TW even has this sort of irresponsible reporting. Fear sells, I guess.

1 Like

The source I get the info from doesnā€™t report the figures on Sundays.

(Itā€™s frustrating. The CDC works every day. Covid is an emergency. Imagine if there was a wildfire and firefighters didnā€™t work Sundaysā€¦)

Source: COVID-19ē–«č‹—ēµ±čØˆč³‡ę–™. - č”›ē”Ÿē¦åˆ©éƒØē–¾ē—…ē®”制ē½²

1 Like

There are 110 seats in the stadium. Families get to watch from the stand. About 12 medical personnels are divided into two groups. Two doctors per group sit on those rolling chairs to ask and give information. They donā€™t actually administer the vaccine though. Instead two nurses pushing a station are the ones that administer the shot.

The entire process takes about 45 minutes from walk in to getting vaccinated. That included identity checks and filling out a form. You will then have to wait there for another 30 minutes to make sure there are no immediate umpredicted effects.

Iā€™m told you barely feel the shot, and getting your blood taken is much more painful than getting this vaccine.

Iā€™ll have to see how hard the side effects can get.

8 Likes

This was my experience. I barely felt it, and what I did feel wasnā€™t like a needle in my arm.

3 Likes

Iā€™m day after second AZ dose now. Thankfully side effects have been almost zero today (very different than first dose ). Wife has slightly raised temp. Thatā€™s it along with sore arms.

12 Likes

AZ I have heard typically has stronger side effects for the first dose; with the mRNA vaccines, the second dose can kick in some stronger side effects.

No idea personally if this is true as I have to date received neither. :upside_down_face:

Guy

4 Likes

Neither my husband nor I felt the shot. Both of us started feeling muscle soreness in our arms 12 hours after vaccination. The day after the shot, my husband got a low fever, I had a headache. Arm soreness lasted for 72 hours for both of us. Colleagues reported similar symptoms.

7 Likes

Wife and I are exactly the same as @Brianjones and his wife.
Wife has a higher temp, both have a little ache in our arm (nothing painful just like you had been lifting something too heavy).

Fist shot was a bitch and made us both sick the day after, but only lasted 24Hā€™s.

5 Likes

More vaccine shenanigans in Taipei City, this time involving Cheng Hsin General Hospital in Tianmu.

Guy

3 Likes

TW is less different from China than it would like to believe.

Lien Chan sure liked to visit there didnā€™t he.

Guy

1 Like

Just came across this interview with Chen Shih-chung from March.

Basically sums it all up.

Western countries started vaccinating in December. Taiwan is only expecting receiving its first vaccines in mid-March at the earliest. Why so late?

Countries in more severe situations invested in vaccines early. They took a big risk, so they are obtaining vaccines earlier. Taiwanā€™s strategy is to wait until the vaccines pass the second and third phases of clinical trials before investing. Also of note, if you order more than 50 million doses, you have bargaining power.

At the same time, we are confident in the vaccines being developed in Taiwan. Weā€™re expecting them to be available in July or August. Because the pandemic is under control here, there is no urgency. We can observe how the vaccines work in other countries.

4 Likes

Why was spending money and booking different vaccines in advance a big risk ?

Thatā€™s less risk !

3 Likes

Really disappointed in how short-sighted Chen was. ā€œThereā€™s no urgency because we have COVID under control.ā€ Gee, do ya think one day you might not have the most unpredictable contagion in our lifetimes under control? Shouldnā€™t we prepare for that eventuality instead of believing weā€™re invulnerable to something thatā€™s wrecked havoc almost everywhere else on the globe?

7 Likes

This is TW thinking. High aversion to anything they think has risk, with a tendency to focus on money in risk analysis, which leads to being penny wise and pound foolish.

Sometimes being risk averse is a good thing. Like shutting the border to China early. But with the vaccines, I think they focused on the wrong risk (money vs. public health). Which was totally unnecessary anyway given how wealthy TW is.

6 Likes

They got cocky and it worked until it didnā€™t.

5 Likes

Basically yes.

Though remember the same game plan (emphasizing border control, mandatory quarantine, wearing masks, and chasing down and isolating contacts of infected cases)ā€”all this still matters, perhaps especially as the Delta variant takes hold internationally.

Weā€™ll see how they can do . . .

Guy