Coronavirus Vaccine in Taiwan - May/June 2021

I think this has already been mentioned before that relatives of certain priority groups are now eligible for the vaccine as well, but I didn’t see this piece of news yet unless I accidentally glossed over it in other articles.

*"Chen says new deliveries of the Moderna and AstraZeneca vaccines should arrive by July 1…

…As for domestic vaccines, Chen says there are two under development, and that at least one should be available by the end of July."*

But they are alteady past the anyone can get stage. Taiwan is just starting.

1 Like

Nobody is cutting lines by paying or anything else. There’s currently a surplus of AZ which will expire if not used hence it is being offered free to anyone who wants it.

4 Likes

What’s the deal with the pilot who got the vaccine but 9 days later tested positive?

Nothing worrying as such. No vaccine is 100% effective and AZ is even less less than 100% effective. Moreover, like many of the covid vaccines AZ only reaches its announced efficacy after two doses while the pilot here had only the first dose and furthermore he had the first dose so recently that very few antibodies could have been formed in any event.

5 Likes

Focus Taiwan actually addresses this point in their article:

"AstraZeneca requires two doses, with the second dose given 4-12 weeks after the first to create stronger immunity against the coronavirus.

Foreign studies have shown that partial protection against COVID-19 may be established as soon as 12 days after the first dose."

2 Likes

FIFY

2 Likes

just wondering, the fee you are paying does it include the second dose? Or do we need to pay another fee for it?

We discussed that above somewhere. I don’t think anything has been announced yet, but I strongly suspect the fee will be for each dose because a second hospital appointment will be required to administer it.

Edit: Or, for @SuperS54’s benefit, it’s “free” twice, so double the saving. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I’ve heard that from multiple experts on CNBC discussing vaccines. The U.S. CDC analyzes raw data, while the E.U. CDC relies more on company provided analysis. Do you have a source that says otherwise?

Which European countries approved vaccines on their own, separate from the EU CDC?

I asked Far Eastern.
They told me the 600NT covers both shots.

3 Likes

Oh really? That’s cool, good to know!

It’ll be interesting to see if that turns out to be the case though, as in my experience repeated prescriptions mean repeated appointments, repeated visits to the doctor, and repeated visits to the cashier, so I’m curious how they’ll handle that in two months.

receipt? maybe?
Will see.

I seriously doubt that’s true as well. Both agencies would have to analyze the actual data for them to be useful. Besides, isn’t it the FDA (and the EMA) that does this, not the CDC?

Some more info here.

Some/many states now down to as young as 16 years old.
News yesterday said Pfz/Mod would be down to 12 years old by summer, and then next year forecasted for 11 and under.

1 Like

Oh, the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) is not the CDC, so no the CDC isn’t directly involved. But ACIP analyzes the data and provides a recommendation to the FDA, which then decides on approval.

Do you have any evidence the EU does a bottom up analysis of the raw clinical data for a vaccine application? Your reference doesn’t mention vaccines at all.

You paid for the vaccine?

I don’t understand the question, or what distinction you’re claiming exists between “analyzes raw data” and “relies more on company provided analysis” - regulatory agencies need to look at the data to make a decision. I don’t think that the EMA or any of the European regulatory agencies just takes the recommendation of the company who developed the drug/vaccine and approves it without examining the data - that would make zero sense.

I’m not familiar with the exact procedures the FDA and EMA use to analyze the data. You’d have to look them up (they’re way too dry for me to bother researching for a post on Forumosa).

Were you vaccinated for free? So the amount of money in your wallet/bank account remained the same before and after being vaccinated, correct? :grin:

1 Like

Haven’t received the vaccine yet. I have an appointment on Friday and the hospital indicate I need to pay registration fees, a doctors fee and I believe a nurses fee to receive the vaccine. The vaccine itself is free of cost to me.

Were you conned into paying for the vaccine? There must have been very big windows in the hospital you and BrianJones went to! :eyes: