Coronavirus Vaccine in Taiwan - May/June 2021

Usually it would be $200 to see the doctor with medication. Maybe a little under $500 with expensive monthly meds. That extra $400 is paying for the vaccine.

Another person at work tested positive and is sent home
That’s like three in six months

1 Like

:sweat_smile::sweat_smile::sweat_smile::sweat_smile::sweat_smile::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::sweat_smile::sweat_smile::sweat_smile::sweat_smile::sweat_smile:

The other one’s got bells on!

Curious what kind of work place is it?
Financial services, food related?

Wendy’s

No not really
No food

1 Like

Not criticising @lunlan’s post , just taking the sentence as a reference.

The problem here is that no matter how many categories are made “eligible”, people just don’t want to get vaccinated. They seem to live in a dream. Just today a group of friends cancelled a trip to the North-East because it’s “too dangerous”. I asked everyone: why don’t you get vaccinated too now that it’s available (unofficially cough cough) to anyone at a reasonable fee. Replies: “Oh, the vaccine…” (friend 1), “I heard it’s dangerous” (friend 2), “Oh, so cheap…” (friend 3), “I don’t care about the vaccine” (friend 4), “What are we having for dinner?” (all).

The $200 charge is only possible at a clinic ($150 registration fee + $50 copay + $0 if prescription under $100). Currently the covid vaccines are only given at hospitals, which have higher fees and copays. The vaccine is indeed provided by the government free-of-charge. The $400-$600 fees you are paying are administration fees charged by the hospital.

Co-payments for Outpatient Visit under Taiwan NHI System

1 Like

so… uh… maybe the government… uh… could provide funding… uh… to pay those admin fees at hospitals providing the vaccine so as to help prompt more people to get it.
No, that’s a stupid idea. What was I thinking.

4 Likes

The government does, for those in the currently eligible priority groups, except for the registration fee. You are paying for skipping the line.

2 Likes

Well. You should understand my meaning. The gov’t is fuqqing up the vaccine allotment.
They know how many vials are going to waste and have zero plan apparently for how to push near full use of all vaccines they are getting from abroad.

3 Likes

Yeah, exactly. NT$600 isn’t much of course, but making patients pay for it when they’re already reluctant further disincentivizes broader uptake.

1 Like

In the U.S. now, some states are paying gov’t employees to get vaccinated ($100 in Maryland, and grandfathering in those who already got it), there’s free beer in New Jersey, $25 handout for anybody in other places that I’ve read in news websites.
Zero effective plan to make 99.99% use of all those [minimum amount of] vials they’ve “acquired” from abroad. Indeed, a sheet-show on the vaccine side.

4 Likes

It’d be interesting to see what the Taiwanese government came up with if they decided to go this route. I suspect something like NT$50 of EasyCard credit, foreigners excluded, spouses of Taiwanese citizens reluctantly included but the registration system doesn’t work so they need to make 7 phone calls first. :grin:

12 Likes

Some fellow on the Taiwan reddit sub described the process of getting the jab, and took shots of the forms required. Probably the first useful post ever on that lame sub.

3 Likes

Blood clots kill Canadian after AstraZeneca jab

A Canadian woman has died from a blood-clotting disorder after receiving the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine, officials said late on Tuesday.

The death was linked to vaccine-induced immune thrombotic thrombocytopenia, according to Deena Hinshaw, Alberta province’s top doctor.

“As chief medical officer of health, I am sad to report that tonight we have confirmed the death of an Alberta woman in her 50s from VITT following vaccination from the AstraZeneca vaccine,” Hinshaw said in a statement.

Presumably this is in Canada, so it’s off-topic for this thread about vaccines in Taiwan.

1 Like

That is kind of scary. I’m in my 50’s and have an appointment on Friday for the shot. Not sure about this now.

1 Like

I believe it is relevant because the AstraZeneca is our only option in Taiwan.

10 Likes

The Dutch government started publishing an age breakdown for patients entering hospital with Covid. The largest group in hospital right now is > 50 , (described in the media as overweight symptoms, non-fit, or with underlying conditions) I did not include < 30 , as only the very unlucky from that group enter hospital.

The purple line is > 80, and in the first wave they were the hardest hit. However, that group is now mostly vaccinated for > 2 months, so numbers are going down fast.

Currently, > 60s are being vaccinated, but the over 70s still have a few weeks to go before full protection from the vaccine sets in. (Numbers are p/million in age bracket).

Why this graph? If you are over a certain age, the risk of entering hospital because of covid far out weight the risks of vaccine related problems.

4 Likes

DutchMan is overlooking that the risk of getting infected by covid in Dutchland is about a zillion times higher than in Taiwan…