Coronavirus Vaccine in Taiwan - May/June 2021

At this stage it is not backed by data, let’s talk in a week.

We will, but if you really want to have a discussion about “data”, I hope you understand the concept of data latency and how it applies to the spread of a highly infectious virus.

Meanwhile, in the US:

Vaccinated users on Tinder, Hinge, OKCupid, BLK, Chispa, Plenty of Fish, Bumble and Badoo will gain access to premium content “like boosts, super likes, and super swipes” with proof of vaccination, according to the White House. Users will also be able to filter potential matches by vaccination status or book vaccination appointments through the apps.

CNN Article Link

3 Likes

Sure, but it is not like we are doing nothing and wait for the 14 days or data. Gov saw a bad signal and implemented a half lockdown. The Signal was not as bad as to justify a full lockdown, even when they used tracing/test to dig into the cluster.
If the numbers were higher like 10/100000 cases or stable TPR>5% there would be a more solid argument to support a full lockdown.

:roll_eyes:

Many people are still going to work. Many people live in multi-generational families. You can look to see how well half lockdowns did in other countries. Even in countries where they did full lockdowns, it’s nearly impossible to eradicate the virus once it’s in.

Do yourself a favor and read the article I posted.

Li Jianzhang, Ph.D. in Epidemiology at Harvard University and Clinical Associate Professor of the Emergency Department of National Taiwan University Hospital

He explains why the numbers look better than they almost certainly are right now (hint: it has to do with the number of tests TW is doing and how it’s doing them).

1 Like

One more time: it is not legal to import vaccines from China.

Put otherwise: read the thread!

Guy

1 Like

Well it’s already been approved by the WHO. Sooner or later more regulatory bodies will jump in and approve as well. The science doesn’t change when you move the product from one place to another.

Source?

The same WHO that approved keeping borders open to Chinese travelers back in March 2020!

Sinovac is shit. Which is not surprising given that it’s just inactivated virus.

1 Like

To my opinion this is not hard data from the field. This is speculation and an extrapolated model which we don’t know yet if it applies to the situation. I rather wait a few more days to see how the situation evolve given the current strategy and review the situation. I understand other are other opinions, but I rather stick to mine and see the current strategy through.

1 Like

The guy is a Harvard epidemiologist. He’s not telling you what the numbers are or will be. He’s explaining why the numbers you’re seeing can’t provide a true measure of the spread because of the amount of testing and how the testing is being done.

You’re talking about models, and he’s not. He’s talking about why you can’t even develop a good model because you don’t have the right data now.

1 Like

Sinovac is the least effective COVID vaccine out there (I’ve heard around 50% effectiveness), and the Seychelles is seeing a major surge in cases despite 63% of the country being partially or fully vaccinated.

Sources:

1 Like

You’ll never have the full picture when dealing with 20+ Million people. This was true even when Taiwan had “zero” case. What you need is a net wide enough to catch enough cases, which heightened awareness last week or so has helped, and then measure the evolution.

We collected relatively good data last 7 days or so , so let’s collect a few more day and we will be in a position to make better decision.

1 Like

North Korea does not have the clout China has…yet.

Remember during SARS there were actual travel advisories not to go to hot spots? But not this time? Remember how long it took for Taiwan to be allowed to open up even after there were no cases because they had to wait for China to be OK first?

That doesn’t mean it will be shit. Don’t they are adjuvant ?

It may be a moot point anyway. Do you expect that Taiwan would have accepted a Chinese vaccine even if it had been >90% effective?

The population didn’t even want the AZ one. Kind of too late now to do anything except wait for whatever the government can secure, and/or the less tested Taiwanese ones.

3 Likes

That’s the key there. After all the bad blood between China and Taiwan and with them blocking phizer, I doubt anyone would take it even with adequate supply and full effectiveness.

These were the same winners that took data from
Canada as a partner in developing the vaccine and then refused export the materials to Canada citing an export ban. Canada was stupid to work with them in the first place.

3 Likes

I would. I’d take Sinovac too. Lots of my business partners that traveled to China have already gotten it. None had issues.

1 Like

You don’t have issues unless you come into contact with a COVID carrier and you’re one of the unlucky 50% of contacts it didn’t fully protect.

3 Likes

Exactly, so 50% is better than no vaccine while waiting for a better one to supplement it.

2 Likes