Coronavirus Vaccine in Taiwan - May/June 2021

But I don’t think you can mix vaccines, so you’d probably have to wait for a year until the Sinovac isn’t that active in your body anymore. I don’t know, maybe you can mix them… :man_shrugging: do it and tell us how it goes.

The chance of mixing working vaccines causing problems is minute. I do remember one trialed HIV vaccine that made people more likely to get it though. No problems so far in the limited studies.

Black Americans took this hard in the U.S., too, when schools went to online (home) learning in late-spring 2020 and into fall 2020 and again spring-2021. They lost their jobs (service industry), too.
So, that’s why the YUGE stimulus checks went out.
If Taiwan is following the pattern of ROTW with this virus thing-a-ma-jig, then it’s WFH for at least the summer and then stimmy checks coming to help people out. Kind of like during 2008 financial crisis, but this time maybe direct deposit to Chung Hwa Post accounts, depending on # of dependents. We’ll see.

I don’t think that’s right. I believe there have been some limited studies on mixing vaccines. But more importantly, the immune system is constantly being exposed to new pathogens it needs to respond to, so I doubt that receiving multiple vaccines in a short time will be particularly harmful as a general rule (think of travel vaccinations, for example).

The vaccine itself won’t “stay active” in the body, but rather the immunological memory artificially induced by the vaccine will persist (one would hope).

1 Like

This sounds strangely familiar… from a year ago or so in Germany. “Can’t do anything now, must wait for data”. And then it was too late.

Yes waiting for reliable data is the best way to make a better founded decision. Unfortunately, if you wait too long, the reality already progressed too far to contain it by the action that was waiting for the data. Maybe looking at other countries’ experience helps, and then factor in that we face an even more aggressive variant.

4 Likes

Suddenly 3 million people in Taiwan are vaxed? I think somebody must have typoed.

May 18: 245,008
May 19: 264,589
May 20: 281,247
May 21: 2,998,442

(Source: typing “taiwan vaccination figures” into Google and getting figures supplied by Our World In Data)

2 Likes

A year ago in Germany, people knew less, didn’t detect the outbreak that early, waited more than 2 weeks, didn’t wear mask… Also did they implement light lockdown immediately?

1 Like

Should be 299,844:
https://www.cdc.gov.tw/File/Get/a42bI1za87NU3AKC-MVCgA

3 Likes

Why don’t the flight crews just get vaccinated during their layover in the United States instead of taking up Taiwan’s precious / inferior vaccine supply? Many places don’t even need a reservation anymore.

5 Likes

it is being done, i have read headlines and articles suggesting:

1. can be done
  2. side effects may be more likely and more severe
  3. effectiveness may be improved
2 Likes

Yes, there have been many studies recently released suggesting that mixing vaccines can increase effectiveness.

And by worse side effects, they mean a possibly worse feeling of being sick for a couple days after the injection, not anything permanent. I would be on board for that.

1 Like

You are right. I hope. I really really hope Taiwan is smarter than my brainless, spineless, clueless compatriot politicians.

The difference still is the UK variant being even sneakier than Wuhan Virus 1.0.

2 Likes

Because they are not supposed to leave the airport?

However, you might be onto something. If they could coordinate and have an in site vaccination center at the most popular airports, like SFO and NYC, that could work.

I was sick the day after mine, i wouldn’t like to have been on a flight feeling like that.

So are we giving 20000 doses per day now (until we run out of AZ again)?

Seems to be a 48 hour window in which they are not supposed to be on duty after the vaccine, would mess up turn around for those based in Taiwan. I think most people who got vaccinated would not be fit for work on an aircraft the next day! Aer Lingus crews were specifically told they could not get the shot when in the states on a work trip.

1 Like

Sounds fair. Side effects are unpredictable of course - but the day after my first dose of AstraZeneca, I felt only barely capable of doing my job. Mismanaging an EFL class, however, has significantly less potential for dire consequences than mismanaging an aircraft - as much as I like to flatter myself on the importance of my job.

1 Like

I’m still curious how many of them took up the offer to get vaccinated when they were testing all those people from CAL. Kind of wish we got some numbers from that.

2 Likes

I would not have wanted to work the day after my AZ jab. I’d be capable, but it would have been tough. The day after that I was fine but fatigued. The third day I felt hale and hearty.

A 48-hour waiting period makes sense.

4 Likes

Taiwan is smarter overall.
The problem is a few people screwed up by letting a gaping hole through the gates .And we live on a very crowded island. So I agree with your assessment that waiting for data doesn’t cut it with the speed this thing spreads.

1 Like