Coronavirus Vaccine in Taiwan - May/June 2021

approximately 7 million for South and Southeast Asia,

Statement by President Joe Biden

The remaining doses, just over 6 million, will be shared directly with countries experiencing surges, those in crisis, and other partners and neighbors, including Canada, Mexico, India, and the Republic of Korea.

The status of Taiwan in the gift distribution is, again, ambiguous, but certain.

Update

Approximately 7 million for Asia to the following countries and entities: India, Nepal, Bangladesh, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Afghanistan, Maldives, Malaysia, Philippines, Vietnam, Indonesia, Thailand, Laos, Papua New Guinea, Taiwan, and the Pacific Islands.

In a more detailed statement, Taiwan is explicitly included.

3 Likes

If it’s only 7 million for all of Asia and COVID’s ninth circle of Hell AKA India is included in that list, then we’ll probably only see a couple hundred thousand. I hope I’m wrong. Any vaccines are welcome, but it sounds like Japan will rescue us a lot more than the USA.

5 million doses, the least of any region, for Africa. :roll_eyes:

But at least there’s this:

We are sharing these doses not to secure favors or extract concessions.

Hopefully the “TW should trade chips for vaccines!” nonsense will end.

1 Like

If I see one more thing about TSMC or semiconductors I’m going to lose it. All the Taiwan sub-Reddit talks about is how much the COVID outbreak will affect their precious semiconductor supply.

1 Like

Didn’t someone else say going into Taiwan sub-Reddit thread is like going down into Dante’s Inferno. Get off that site. :sunglasses:

1 Like

That’s what they say about Forumosa. :joy:

4 Likes

Unlikely. J&J already said a direct “no” to the Buddhist org. They will only deal with governments. Unclear whether they will recognise Taiwan government as a government or not.

And Terry is making a lot of noise, but it isn’t clear that he has the ability either. Pfizer has given ZERO promises that they’ll sell to him. He filled in the TFDA paperwork, minus the information about the vaccines themselves. It’s difficult to read his intentions - whether he’s genuinely trying to help Taiwan, or he’s playing politics so he can complain about the government blocking him helping.

Forumosa okay. Just hazes all the newbies that arrive until they start offering “good content”, ha ha.

1 Like

Probably a bit of both tbh. It’s a win-win for him. If he gets the deal he’s Taiwan’s “savior”, and if he doesn’t get the deal he can ride public anger against bureaucracy run amok.

5 million vaccines would be sweet relief, so I don’t care about his ulterior motives and just hopes he succeeds. I am pessimistic about its chances though.

2 Likes

How is Pfizer suddenly going to have 5 million vaccines available anyway?

When you pay triple?

The 1.2 million vaccines from Japan are just the first batch. They’re going to send more!

All in all, it’s been a great news day on the vaccine front.

17 Likes

Maybe I’ll be heading to Japan after all.

If you do, thank them for us!

It makes a lot of sense.

Japan has the most to lose if China takes Taiwan. China hates Japan and they’ll punish them in severe ways, if not outright conquer them and basically enslave them.

If China ever attacks Taiwan you can bet Japan’s “self defense” force will come to Taiwan’s aid. They know once Taiwan goes they are next.

2 Likes

AND…they’ll fight to the last man, just like the U.S. soldiers found out on Iwo Jima.

2 Likes

The report suggests that the Japanese government originally wants to donate the vaccines to Taiwan through COVAX, but that will take a much longer time for the vaccines to reach Taiwan.

This is amazing news. 1.2 million tomorrow is enough for us to get our shit together and pace up the vaccination program in the next two to three weeks.

2 Likes

It is important though. Just automobile loses in US have been upward of 100 Billion due to semi shortage. Imagine if that was extended to other sectors.

That’s just the first 25 mil though.