Coronavirus Vaccine in Taiwan - May/June 2021

Look let’s be clear: the mRNA vaccines are really impressive, new vaccine technology, adaptable, brilliant breakthroughs, etc.

But if the choice is AZ or no vaccine, it’s time to get protected.

Let’s get this done!

Guy

9 Likes

Yup things are starting to look better.

Let’s stay on our toes and keep our eyes open for information on registration for 2nd doses and new registrations for vaccines and make sure to provide clear and concise info as we go through the process to help others.

1 Like

Not exactly lack of transparency. When do clinical trials ever disclose results before they’re finished? Usually the trial will be done. Doctors and participants are blinded. DSMB analyses the data. Trial finishes. Sponsor submits to FDA. Once approved, the data can become public.

So far Taiwan is still at the FDA stage. It shouldn’t be long until they show the results.

Fine by me. Then I’ll be bumped up the queue

The sleep earlier advice isn’t a bad idea! Kids here are super sleep deprived. Most adults too. You see people in the morning almost sleeping on the MRT. And then staying up til 2am playing stupid games on their phones.

The most obvious thing ever.

Yeah, it’s great news. Once China piped up with objections, I guess it made sense to keep things quiet until the deal is signed. I’m thrilled they’re delivering something.

Unfortunately Taiwan simply isn’t as powerful. China has 1.3 billion people and western companies are absolutely desperate to access that market. They’ll bend over backwards (and forwards…) in exchange.

1 Like

It’s unclear whether they will “unveil the plan” tomorrow or “send the vaccines” tomorrow. I don’t trust Taiwan News one bit…

[deleted]

News says it’s coming tomorrow.

On the plane tomorrow.

2 Likes

And tomorrow is… June 4th. Nice middle finger to neighbor up north.

7 Likes

This is great news. We need a million+ doses to jumpstart our vaccination program. Hopefully the US will send some our way as well when they announce their plan soon (today?)

It’s reasonable for countries to adopt a utilitarian perspective when it comes to vaccines. Japan won’t just give away 1/3rd of their surplus to Taiwan (that is still doing much better than a lot of countries). I wouldn’t be surprised if the US allocates < 1% of their surplus to Taiwan either.

1 Like

Taiwan has to figure out how to use the doses before they expire. More will come our way.

Me too!

Hopefully I can get my second jab. I have four weeks until I’m scheduled for it.

1 Like

To the laical person

https://www.breakthroughs.com/advancing-medical-research/what-makes-rna-vaccine-different-conventional-vaccine

At least I don’t have to go to Japan for my next vacation. Thailand it is then.

Maybe Terry and the Buddha buddies can come through.

1 Like

English article from FocusTaiwan. Here’s the relevant part:

Meanwhile, a separate report from Japan’s Sankei Shimbun said a total of 1.24 million doses of AstraZeneca vaccine, provided by Japan’s government, is scheduled to arrive in Taiwan on Friday, citing sources close to the administration.

2 Likes

Understand your point, but TSMC and UMC will not have their backs covered by the Taiwan government’s coffers when foreign firms go elsewhere (Samsung, etc.) for orders if there were to be any blackmail.
If Taiwan has any hope at TSMC maintaining its #1 position for many years, it would not resort to that. just :2cents:

1 Like

You really think they are gonna give someone younger their second before giving an old person their first? Should they?

1 Like