Coronavirus Vaccine in Taiwan - November/December 2021

Have they decided whether to give kids the second dose yet? I haven’t been keeping up.

The authorities are reportedly meeting this weekend to review the data, both domestic and international, about risks and benefits. They will make an announcement about their recommendations for 12-17 year olds after that.

Guy

1 Like

As long as they allow voluntary second doses for kids who want to travel it’s all good.

163,868 doses given yesterday, of which 145,165 were second doses. 11,823,246 are now fully vaccinated which is 50.50% of the Total Population.
https://www.cdc.gov.tw/File/Get/jD_BZGMQ6kXn_xzUhPrEWw

5 Likes

And now confirmed by the CDC.

4 Likes

How’s that going to work in a ‘crowded’ household? No one leaves the house?

I don’t think they have any clues. They are just following New Zealand, Japan and Philippines’ model and try. Taiwan will probably the last country to open it’s border.

2 Likes

319,015 doses given yesterday, of which 292,665 were second doses. 12,117,725 are now fully vaccinated which is 51.75% of the Total Population.
https://www.cdc.gov.tw/File/Get/q0NlCICkV5LPQ39hqG-nOA

6 Likes

Wow, second doses are really like 90% of doses now. Such a difference from even a month ago. It’s good those fully vaccinated numbers are shooting up, but I wonder if we’ve reached our limit for people willing to get vaccinated; if so, it’s lower than I expected for Taiwan.

1 Like

There is still a trickle of about 10% (as you have noticed) of first shots being given.

The attached link (Start from Row 61 in the Vaccines Tab) shows a breakdown of 1st and 2nd shots by City / County which range from 94.7% of Taipei City (all that noise from the Mayor seems to have worked - he has stayed low for a while now) having a 1st shot, down to only 59% in Hsinchu County. In Chiayi City, 71% have had 2 shots. A fire needs to be lit under the posteriors of a few Mayors me thinks.

When you remove the Under 12’s who at this stage are not eligible for Vaccination, that takes out about 10% of the population (it will vary by City/County), so around 90% overall is the highest that can be hoped for.

3 Likes

346,876 doses given yesterday, of which 319,432 were second doses. 12,480,313 are now fully vaccinated which is 53.30% of the Total Population.
https://www.cdc.gov.tw/File/Get/EsW-VNiP6XElNVrqp94ZnA

5 Likes

Loving these numbers. Looks like we’ll be around 75% by the time 7+7+7 goes into effect and people start home quarantine.

Hopefully the new variant doesn’t ruin any plans.

3 Likes

Nobody is talking about how the new variants would cause hospitalizations or death… Are they just fear mongering now?

a) wrong thread.

b) too early to tell.

4 Likes

The graph’s a bit worrying, although hopefully I’m overthinking it: note how much the first-dose rate seems to be leveling off. (I got this from googling “Covid vaccines in Taiwan”). If I’m reading the chart right, in November, for first doses, we’ve gone from 17.3 million (73%) to 18.1 million (77%) - so less than a million doses given (with a few days remaining); in October, we went from 13.4 million (57%) to 17.3 million, almost four million in that month.

But as @yinggeaussie has pointed out several times in their very useful posts about this, children aren’t getting vaccinated, so presumably that’s a big reason for the leveling. I assume there’s data out there about how many people eligible for the vaccine haven’t received it, but I don’t think I’ve seen it.

1 Like

In that Google Docs link that I posted at #186, if you scroll down to Row 61 it breaks up the 1st and 2nd shots by City/County. Click on any cell and it shows the formula - for example Taipei City - and there is a number in there which I assume is the TOTAL Population (2574704 for Taipei), and they work their % based on that. I cant see the numbers for eligible (ie - under 12) so I just assume about 10%, though in the case of Taipei it is obviously less than that).

1 Like

I saw a graphic somewhere a few days ago that showed the % of 1st and 2nd vaccinations by age group too. Be damned if I can find it now though.

1 Like

263,101 doses given over the weekend, of which 241,530 were second doses. 12,771,815 are now fully vaccinated which is 54.55% of the Total Population.
https://www.cdc.gov.tw/File/Get/MdCFnT3yKEhC3N31zu2o3g

3 Likes

Hope they approve boosters for all ages if this Omicron crap is an inevitability.

Most probably aren’t 6 months out yet.