Coronavirus Vaccine in Taiwan - November/December 2021

That will put to rest any fears that some may have had regarding 2nd doses as the supply was not quite enough until this good news arrived.

4 Likes

This puts (even) more pressure on the current administration to get those vaccinations up, as lack of supply is not a real excuse anymore. Look for continued use of small windows to register, clinics/hospitals that are full when you do get on the system to register, etc. In other words, get ready for more fighting and headaches to get vaccinated.

My initial thoughts were far less negative: Very happy the US has made this donation. Very happy that those waiting for Moderna 2nd doses will get them. Pleased that China won’t be happy. Happy that Taiwanese will maybe see that the US is serious about backing Taiwan when needed.

I think the second paragraph you wrote is closer to how I see things.

Yes there have been (and will be? hopefully not) hickups. But for the most part, the rollout is going very well indeed—better than just about anyone could have imagined a few months ago.

Guy

2 Likes

When they can pump out over 400,000 shots in a day they are doing very well. Its really a matter of convincing the doubters that they need to get the shots.

3 Likes

Whenever there is a rush to get on the computer and quickly do something at the strike of midnight (or whatever the case might be), my wife and I lose. Always. I don’t know what tricks others are using. The fighting for everything like this gets old. Train tickets for long weekends and holidays is something we have been dealing with for years and years. Then they did it again with the voucher tickets! We got them, but waited for the second round to avoid the fighting.

Anyway, my wife got her second AZ at a location that was about 25 minutes car drive away (all the slots close by were full and the “don’t sweat it, wait for the second phase of round 12 if didn’t get in” message didn’t come until day 2 of phase 1 of round 12). We weren’t familiar with the area and hospital so there was a bit of work getting parked and to the right area of the hospital. I took half a day off to accompany my wife. I got lots of points from the wife for doing that so no regrets. But man, did that make my afternoon busy.

They’re doing well but I give them a B- grade. They could do better. They really could. Maybe the folks in charge are out of touch with what regular folks go through. Don’t know.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out in the next few months.

1 Like

They could follow the Australian example, where people were slow to get the shots. Firstly the “Carrot” in that they said things will start to open up at 70% (of Adults 16+) fully vaccinated. Then the “Stick” - in that they said that the unvaccinated would find life difficult in regard to entry to places and even employment (though nobody has yet tested that in a court).

The result has been a sudden take-up over the past few months to the point that its now 88% with one shot and 77% fully vaccinated. Some States are much higher - NSW is at 93% / 88%, Victoria at 92% / 80% - and they are only averaging 200K shots a day nationwide (though density can be part of that). Taiwan’s population density allows it to get a much higher rate per day, and as long as the supply chain stays in place it should all be pretty much done by Christmas, thus allowing things to be loosened for CNY.

And today is the day that a lot of restrictions in Australia were wiped out, no more Quarantine for Fully Vaccinated International Arrivals in the two states mentioned was the big one, as well as lots of internal restrictions lifted.

5 Likes

326,713 doses given over the weekend, of which 113,454 were second doses. 7,655,432 are now fully vaccinated.
https://www.cdc.gov.tw/File/Get/XVb9_vJKSNO_rf8T1MrBgw

2 Likes

Yeah we havent even got round to getting shots to everyone who actively wants them yet, let alone pushing the stragglers. Guarantee that universities and major workplaces will have Vaccine mandates, so think we will get over 90% easy.

1 Like

I’ve checked some other Asian countries, looks like many will be in pretty good shape by end of the year. Japan and Korea and China almost done. Malaysia and Thailand better numbers (in theory…theres a lot of sinovac in there) than Taiwan. Vietnam catching up. Philippines and Indonesia and Myanmar are the laggards. So we went from a very bad situation to one where most of Asia will be ‘done’ (excepting the inevitable boosters) by Christmas besides the notable exceptions.

3 Likes

Thailand is largely opening to tourism, we’ll see how that works out.

1 Like

I too am very curious to see how it plays out. I think taiwan is going to use this as a litmus test to see how far they can push a reopening.

So we’re at almost 74% single vaccination rate. I think looking at this number will provide a good indication of where we’ll head with the double vaccination rate in Taiwan. For sure there will those that have been scared off after a bad reaction to the first shot, but that number will be low. I’m betting that a 90% double vaxxed rate for adults 18 and older is fully possible.

1 Like

251,249 doses given yesterday, of which 228,587 were second doses. 7,896,013 are now fully vaccinated.
https://www.cdc.gov.tw/File/Get/XY9-jxB_ZA_asb1eiKX_kw

4 Likes

I am finally trying to register for a vaccine and in Taiwan government tradition their 1922 website is a trainwreck in terms of information clarity. I have an ARC but not a NHI card. On the blue registration option on the “ID no” it will not take my ARC number nor (as explicitly suggested to alternately use) passport number. Has anyone gotten this to work?

Ring them up, they should be able to help you.

1 Like

Do you need a card reader or to go to a convenience store to book a vaccination or you can just go through the 1922 website? Thanks!

The latter will work. No card reader is needed to make an appointment now.

Guy

2 Likes

Thank you! :blush:

Things sure are looking up. However I was surprised to find out that we are still lower than the worldwide vaccination rate. That will change in the next few weeks.

Doses given Fully vaccinated % of population fully vaccinated
24.9M

24,900,000|7.66M

7,660,000|32.5%

32.5%|

[image]Worldwide

Doses given Fully vaccinated % of population fully vaccinated
7.07B

7,070,000,000|3.05B

3,050,000,000|39.1%|

1 Like

I think China skews the worldwide rate, but yeah, Taiwan is behind most developed countries.

3 Likes