Coronavirus Vaccine in Taiwan - September/October 2021

How much longer do you think it will be before vaccine supply is no longer an issue in taiwan? I would prefer not to get my first shot until I know I can get the 2nd shot within the recommend time frame. Mixing and matching is also a nogo for me. It seems like since they are already starting the 2nd round of shots for the elderly, we should be at the half way mark. Supply seem to be more steady now and they should be getting more efficient at giving the shots one would hope. So is it optimistic to think that in about 2 month, the craze would be over and the signup sheet would be a thing of the past?

Yes, because AZ combined with a second BNT gives a stronger and longer lasting ‘immunity’

1 Like

Autopsy reveals what killed recipient of Taiwan’s Medigen vaccine

TAIPEI (Taiwan News) — An autopsy has revealed that the first person in Taiwan reported to have died after receiving the Medigen COVID-19 vaccine perished due to an aortic dissection combined with cardiac tamponade.

The 56-year-old man, a Malaysian-born columnist and poet surnamed Lu (陸), got the Medigen jab in Taoyuan on Monday (Aug. 23), the first day the Taiwan-developed was administered, according to a CNA report.

He fell unconscious the following morning and was soon pronounced dead at a hospital, becoming the first of four individuals to have died after receiving the vaccine to date.

In a press briefing on Thursday (Aug. 26), Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) Spokesman Chuang Jen-hsiang (莊人祥) said the autopsy on Lu indicated that the cause of death was an aortic dissection combined with cardiac tamponade.

An aortic dissection is a separation of the layers of the aortic wall caused by an inciting intimal injury, while cardiac tamponade happens when extra fluid builds up in the space around the heart, stopping it from pumping properly.

Chuang added that the other three fatalities have not been autopsied yet, as the government is still waiting for permission from their relatives.

Meanwhile, Health Minister and CECC chief Chen Shih-chung (陳時中) emphasized the CECC has to wait for the final autopsy reports to determine whether the vaccine directly led to the deaths, as there is currently no indication of a causal relationship.

He also revealed the vaccine doses given to the four individuals had come from different production batches.

Beyond the four who have died, two other recipients of the Medigen vaccine have experienced life-threatening adverse reactions, while another 21 have had non-serious reactions over the past four days, according to the CECC.

The supply issue is much improved, just a bit short on Moderna at present. I don’t think mixing doses is approved in Taiwan yet and its rare elsewhere in any case. Time will tell.

If you take the Medigen, can get within thirty days

So that kind of thing just happens, like, all the time, does it?

It seems to me that they start with the assumption that the vaccine didn’t cause the problem and it’s up to the coroner to prove that it did.

3 Likes

In CECC we trust.

1 Like

I don’t think they do it with the flu shot, which is offered in schools each year.

Either way, people don’t like to hear it but myocarditis following vaccination is a known risk and the occurrence of it following the covid mRNA vaccinations isn’t insignificant for young boys.

In China they used to give university students a week (or two?) off following blood donation. Granted, it was initially to be an incentive to participate because few people did it but, eventually, people came to believe that you couldn’t move or do anything strenuous for weeks afterwards.

1 Like

It is for frontline staff like nurses.

1 Like

oh ok I probably agree with you, I will stick to just one kind for now, just to make things simpler is vaccine passports come in…

it’s also up to you to perform self antibody testing in your kitchen.

1 Like

Which vaccine combination is slightly less pointless. Discuss.

2 Likes
5 Likes

214,524 doses given over the 4 day holiday period, of which 125,366 were second doses. 1,715,597 are now fully vaccinated.
https://www.cdc.gov.tw/File/Get/EbCpZQRHSsAUyDPJafo19g

5 Likes

I can’t make head or tail of that report, they basically just typed up the hospital’s press release. It uses very dense medical jargon like ‘cariac tamponade’ with no attempt at explanation for lay readers.

1 Like

Cardiac tamponade is pressure on the heart that occurs when blood or fluid builds up in the space between the heart muscle and the outer covering sac of the heart.

It is insight, actually perhaps more accurately context, that the article is lacking. When do these cardiac injuries typically occur, are they typically the result of some genetic weakness perhaps, are they typically due to overexertion…

3 Likes

Apparently Lithuania is donating another 235,900 doses of AZ, to arrive in October.

9 Likes

3 Likes

Damn, that’s a lot. It’s appreciated, but don’t they need it for their own people?